Denon D7100?!
Aug 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,831 of 1,920
Why are you trying to convince him of anything? He. Likes. It. A. Lot. There's nothing to convince him of.........he's not going to dislike it just because you do. :rolleyes:

That's not the point, the point is to inform others so they can choose wisely. $900-1000 is a big investment.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,832 of 1,920
That's not the point, the point is to inform others so they can choose wisely. $900-1000 is a big investment.

I get your altruistic approach for all the "others" who may take your insistence and persistence for months that these are crap, but it sure reads to me and probably most that you are trying to change bgtrance's mind! Canadian411 clearly refers to changing D7100 owners minds, not saving the ones on the fence about buying. It's really transparent.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,833 of 1,920
Quote:
Also reference the people that actually said that they started sounding worse past the 200 hours mark... I am anxiously waiting to see as that is definitely not the case with my Denons.

He's talking about me, and maybe Vespertine as well. 
smile.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #1,834 of 1,920
Quote:
That was my impression on D7100 lol.
Enough is enough, convincing D7100 owners is like inducing Beat's Studio owners there are better headphones outhere for much less.

**By the way, I never had D600 but my DT990 600ohm sounds much better than D7100. :)

Actually the new 2013 Beats Studios sound better to my ears. I'll give the D7100s, they are better than the 2008 Beats. 
size]

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #1,835 of 1,920
Who produces AH-D7100 headphones for Denon?
AH-D7000 was made by Foster, but who is new subcontractor?

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #1,836 of 1,920
Same people going back and forth on this thread. Its funny reading it. Gold Medal should go to MagicK man and Macedonian hero. Get over yourself guys some people love this headphone. Me included its the best portable headphone, the soundstage is amazing for a closed headphone. I have stated this in the past, these headphones need atleast 50-100 hrs of burn-in before they sound top. Most retailers take them out of the box and put them on display. I have seen the sound change from shockingly poor to sublime in the above time frame. MagicK man I admire your persistence but I think anyone reading this form would eventually read your post/posts and get what your message is. Dude drive some of your nice cars and stop saving the world from buying these headphones. Maybe you get some kind of kick from trashing other peoples views. Sure you make it look it all nice, lovely, and critically (with your graphs and hifalutin audio terms). 

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #1,837 of 1,920
I have stated this in the past, these headphones need at least 50-100 hrs of burn-in before they sound top. Most retailers take them out of the box and put them on display. I have seen the sound change from shockingly poor to sublime in the above time frame.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #1,838 of 1,920
seems like i missed a lot while i was away on the business trip. 

Got a chance to listen to a pair of D7100 before i hopped on the plane. Frankly i thought it was a bit disappointing to my usual set ups for my LCD 2, HE-6, HE-500. But i guess it wasn't a fair comparison cause the blasted people that let me audit it didn't give me any decent equipment in regards to dac and i was not sure if the amp i got was good with it. (Beyer A1 amp) 

To me the sound seemed a bit unnatural and weird at times but good at others. Kinda felt surreal in that sense. Sorry for being vague. It might suit other people's tastes but for me, i prefer the HE-6, this really wasn't my cup of tea. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,839 of 1,920
Same people going back and forth on this thread. Its funny reading it. Gold Medal should go to MagicK man and Macedonian hero. Get over yourself guys some people love this headphone. Me included its the best portable headphone, the soundstage is amazing for a closed headphone. I have stated this in the past, these headphones need atleast 50-100 hrs of burn-in before they sound top. Most retailers take them out of the box and put them on display. I have seen the sound change from shockingly poor to sublime in the above time frame. MagicK man I admire your persistence but I think anyone reading this form would eventually read your post/posts and get what your message is. Dude drive some of your nice cars and stop saving the world from buying these headphones. Maybe you get some kind of kick from trashing other peoples views. Sure you make it look it all nice, lovely, and critically (with your graphs and hifalutin audio terms). 

You really need to listen to more headphones, really, really. :)

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,840 of 1,920
I got a D7100 set a few weeks ago, I'll have to say I'm not impressed and will probably end up ebaying them.

The circumstances are, I had some AH-A100 which I loved, they were as damn near to perfect as you can get in my humble opinion.  Then a few months ago I noticed they'd cracked on both sides where the cup holding arms formed a Y shape.  Since they had a very long warranty, I sent them back to the dealer who returned them to Denon.  After a month of waiting, I found that Denon were unable to repair them (not surprising, every model with that cup holder design has a rash of similar complaints on Amazon).  They offered me a credit note to cover the original £500 asking price, but the dealer didn't have anything I liked the look of in that price range, given that I like wooden cups and needed something which was totally closed as I mostly use them in an office.  They did have D7100s marked at the full and terrifying RRP though, and the dealer just sent me a pair as a replacement.  Top marks for customer service there, looking at the currrent actual street price, I didn't really lose out in that respect.

I've let them burn in and used them for about 30 hours now, the sound is just a mess compared to the AH-A100.  Unfortunately I lack the knowledge to properly describe what it is that I don't like, and while the initially over-trebled sound definitely changed from hour 1 to hour 30, the sound is just .. rough and lifeless in some way.  Additionally I'm having to jack the player (an iAudio X7) up to 25 or so instead of the 10-13 I ran it at before, which is slaughtering the previously amazing battery life.  Bizarrely, my Motorola phone which didn't play well with the AH-A100 and always sounded rubbish before, seems to drive these just fine - going as far as to sound passable.  I thought higher impedence headphones were supposed to be harder to drive so I don't understand why the D7100 at 25 ohms seems to be more of a problem than the AH-A100 at 32 ohms.

The other problem is they're very heavy, very large, and you have to essentially wear them slightly tilted forward to avoid them slowly slipping backwards due to the off-centre design, far less comfortable than the old ones although the ear padding material is high quality and isolation is excellent.  I don't know who thought the off centre design was a good idea, it's not.  It looks bad and fits poorly.

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,841 of 1,920

I'm glad I did not follow your advice because I love my D7100's.

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,842 of 1,920
I got a D7100 set a few weeks ago, I'll have to say I'm not impressed and will probably end up ebaying them.

The circumstances are, I had some AH-A100 which I loved, they were as damn near to perfect as you can get in my humble opinion.  Then a few months ago I noticed they'd cracked on both sides where the cup holding arms formed a Y shape.  Since they had a very long warranty, I sent them back to the dealer who returned them to Denon.  After a month of waiting, I found that Denon were unable to repair them (not surprising, every model with that cup holder design has a rash of similar complaints on Amazon).  They offered me a credit note to cover the original £500 asking price, but the dealer didn't have anything I liked the look of in that price range, given that I like wooden cups and needed something which was totally closed as I mostly use them in an office.  They did have D7100s marked at the full and terrifying RRP though, and the dealer just sent me a pair as a replacement.  Top marks for customer service there, looking at the currrent actual street price, I didn't really lose out in that respect.

I've let them burn in and used them for about 30 hours now, the sound is just a mess compared to the AH-A100.  Unfortunately I lack the knowledge to properly describe what it is that I don't like, and while the initially over-trebled sound definitely changed from hour 1 to hour 30, the sound is just .. rough and lifeless in some way.  Additionally I'm having to jack the player (an iAudio X7) up to 25 or so instead of the 10-13 I ran it at before, which is slaughtering the previously amazing battery life.  Bizarrely, my Motorola phone which didn't play well with the AH-A100 and always sounded rubbish before, seems to drive these just fine - going as far as to sound passable.  I thought higher impedence headphones were supposed to be harder to drive so I don't understand why the D7100 at 25 ohms seems to be more of a problem than the AH-A100 at 32 ohms.

The other problem is they're very heavy, very large, and you have to essentially wear them slightly tilted forward to avoid them slowly slipping backwards due to the off-centre design, far less comfortable than the old ones although the ear padding material is high quality and isolation is excellent.  I don't know who thought the off centre design was a good idea, it's not.  It looks bad and fits poorly.

I did not like the A100.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #1,845 of 1,920
I'm glad I did not follow your advice because I love my D7100's.

That's great, I'm happy for you. :)

Should Denon start working with Foster again? This was the most stupid step they have ever taken.

It was a horrible move. Due to their poor sales, I hope it doesn't mean Denon abandons the market. They can do better, as evidenced by the previous generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back