Denon D7100?!
Apr 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,516 of 1,920
I do really like the headphones, I really really like them, however I don't think that they are the last word, or at least I hope they are not...my new hobby will have a short life if I managed to nail it with my first pair of High End Headphones.

I just like people like Warren who are super constructive and helpful, or anyone that takes my hand like a Gentleman, or Woman and says "OK so you like those, cool, I understand what sort of sound you like at least, however you can do better  you know, and I only know through experience, but have you thought about perhaps trying or buying xxxxxxx"

That is why I am here, to keep improving, there are so many subjective reviews that I get lost, and I am afraid that due to my work I am unlikely to get to meets, so I rely on kind Head Fi'ers to simply help me.

I have no doubt that there are better out there, but at the moment these are the best I have ever heard...I just want the naysayers to not just say nay, but to say what is YAY also....

I have had but one clue really, and I do need closed back due to the sheer amount I listen around other people...just one clue as to where I should go next...LCD-2's, as I really like my Bass...It is highly unlikely that I will hear headphones before I purchase them, so I just want really experienced people to look at my posts and consider them sincere and help me out, that's all.

These are my benchmark, and if people can point me int the right direction for raising that benchmark...then I won't waste money or time...people who slate these headphones MUST know better if they are slating them, either that or they have an ulterior motive, and although the board seems to get a bit personal sometimes, I don't think anyone is really here other than to help...

So yeah, to try and pull this back on track...I like the D7100's...WHAT IS NEXT...MONEY NO OBJECT...CLOSED BACK, PORTABLE, USE A COLORFLY C4 AS MY PLAYER....

Another high-end option, cost no object, is the Fostex TH900. One of the best, best headphones being made, are closed, and have bass that will satisfy anyone. I own them and love them.

Denon D7100 is a great closed headphone you would be hard pressed to find something better. I think your journey has come to an end my friend if you are looking for closed headphones.

You really should try out the Fostex TH900s, there's not a better dynamic headphone being made today.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #1,517 of 1,920
Going by the reviews Fostex TH900 is also an amazing headphone. From the pictures I have seen of them I love their finish especially how the wood is lacquered. +1

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,518 of 1,920
Quote:
Denon D7100 is a great closed headphone you would be hard pressed to find something better. I think your journey has come to an end my friend if you are looking for closed headphones.

I can easily name a dozen better closed headphones that sound better. Sorry even the D600s are a good step up IMHO.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #1,520 of 1,920
You really should try out the Fostex TH900s, there's not a better dynamic headphone being made today.

Personally I'm not dropping 2 grand on any headphone.

Diminishing returns.

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #1,521 of 1,920
Quote:

Diminishing returns.

Just to share my view: I would have said that a few years ago too.. but the Fostex are the best dynamic headphones i've heard and I prefer them to the LCD3 which is also 2k and directly comparable.

For me I wanted a do it all headphone, previously it was the D7000s, but when I first demo'ed the TH900s I knew I had to get them, they were just that good and i've gotten rid of all my other headphones.. So in that sense - for me - its a great deal, because I have one $2k headphone that does what some people need several headphones (that can amount to well over $2k) to do every genre great.

And of course there will be diminishing returns on expensive items such as the TH900s, it just really depends on how much you want to enjoy your music and if you're willing to pay for that extra bit (no regrets here).

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #1,522 of 1,920

Diminishing returns.

He said price was no object.

Name 'em.

I can name two right now (for bassheads); the Fostex TH600 (the king of the $1000 closed cans) and the Denon AH-D600. Yes, the D600 is the D7100's little brother, and it sounds better. Also there's the Audio Technica ATH W5000 & W1000s, both are cleaner and smoother.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #1,523 of 1,920
Quote:
Another high-end option, cost no object, is the Fostex TH900. One of the best, best headphones being made, are closed, and have bass that will satisfy anyone. I own them and love them.

Quote:
Going by the reviews Fostex TH900 is also an amazing headphone. From the pictures I have seen of them I love their finish especially how the wood is lacquered. +1

You know, the biggest gripe I have about the 7100's are their build quality, there is no doubt that they could have done a better job with this, for headphones that cost this amount of money, the very very plastic construction is not very sturdy at all. This actually is a bit more of a downfall than I initially considered, essentially as it makes them less portable and more for use at home, which is not why I want them really. I cannot even ever risk putting them my cabin bag on planes as they are so fragile, someone squeezing another bag into the overhead locker could easily damage them, if not break them. Yes I should get a case, but then again, that is a hassle too. 

From the looks of things the Fostex TH 900's have a much better build quality and can satisfy my Bass requirements and possibly improve upon my 7100 experience.

Fostex TH900's it is. 

Seem to be about 1500GBP in the UK....

Is the build quality good as well as the sound quality?

That is one thing that surprised me about buying some much cheaper headphone for comparison with my 7100's...some of the build quality was much better than the 7100's which seemed a shame.

THANK YOU!

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #1,524 of 1,920
Spending £1500 on a pair of headphones is a bit rich for my taste. For that money you could buy a really nice Cyrus Hi-fi and pair it with world class B&W speakers. Nothing like a proper Hi-Fi setup.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,525 of 1,920
Quote:
I can easily name a dozen better closed headphones that sound better. Sorry even the D600s are a good step up IMHO.

That's what MagickMan and we are trying to address. :) I guess it's all about the experience. :)

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,526 of 1,920
Quote:
Just to share my view: I would have said that a few years ago too.. but the Fostex are the best dynamic headphones i've heard and I prefer them to the LCD3 which is also 2k and directly comparable.

For me I wanted a do it all headphone, previously it was the D7000s, but when I first demo'ed the TH900s I knew I had to get them, they were just that good and i've gotten rid of all my other headphones.. So in that sense - for me - its a great deal, because I have one $2k headphone that does what some people need several headphones (that can amount to well over $2k) to do every genre great.

And of course there will be diminishing returns on expensive items such as the TH900s, it just really depends on how much you want to enjoy your music and if you're willing to pay for that extra bit (no regrets here).

I never liked TH900, you will probably recognize my alias feeding the negative posts about the TH900, but more and more I heard that TH900 is the king of the closed headphone.
I really want one now :) especially lot of experienced head-fiers ditch UE8 SE, UE8, D7000, ATH-W3000anv, T5p, ATH-W5000, Singnature Pro, etc., that's already 8 closed headphones superior to D7100 not considering the price. 

Time to save some money :)

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,527 of 1,920
Ok, at last, I am not saying D7100 is the worst closed headphone, it's not bad, actually it's pretty good closed headphone but compare to what's available for $1200 CAD, there are better ones out there.  I state again that I will definitely buy D7100 for my mom if it was around $300 to $500 CAD. That's all guys. 

Happy head-fing.. ^ ^...

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #1,529 of 1,920
From the looks of things the Fostex TH 900's have a much better build quality and can satisfy my Bass requirements and possibly improve upon my 7100 experience.

Fostex TH900's it is.

Their built quality is amazing, but if you want to save some money, you can buy the TH600s which are half price, or about what you'd pay for D7100s. They're also superior to the Denons in every way.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #1,530 of 1,920
Quote:
Their built quality is amazing, but if you want to save some money, you can buy the TH600s which are half price, or about what you'd pay for D7100s. They're also superior to the Denons in every way.

I am put together in a certain way....and I am no "silver spooner" or "trust fund baby" by any means, everything I have ever achieved has been on my own two feet, I have done OK. I do know the value of money, but one of my mantras has always been "if you are going to do it then don't do it by halves"...I definitely understand the concept of diminishing returns...but in reality 1500GBP is nothing in comparison to the constant listening of music that is the soundtrack of my life, a day's pay...

So to me, and even if it gives me just a tiny bit more quality for a lot more money, that is what I want. I spend 10 times that on paintings regularly, fine art...

I really consider amazing headphones to be almost even better than fine art...they are a lot cheaper and seem to give me a lot more pleasure...

Been really researching these now, they look amazing and a lot more sturdy than the 7100's, so even for that reason alone I would buy them...I might as well take a trip to the USA though, even with Air fare included, they are cheaper there than in UK. Now that really pisses me off, same product, a lot more expensive in UK, why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back