Denon D7100?!
Apr 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,456 of 1,920
And I think 420 sterling pounds is bargain as you are getting great and refined headphones. 

Yikes. Sorry, but I'm absolutely on the other side here. Their coloration, and ham-fisted approach to bass presentation, is appalling. As a novelty headphone they're worth ~$400 (250 quid), but not a dollar more.

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #1,457 of 1,920
Quote:
It failed partly because of head-fi too. I think the forum has a great impact on the market, and often some opinion are "amplified" here, because you'd lot of people repeating them to death even if they didn't try the headphone. I'm wondering if sennheiser would be selling the hd800 today, if head-fi didn't exist.

Head-fi isn't the only audio forum. There's another 4 big ones that get a lot of attention as well, albeit head-fi is the largest. All of those sites concur with the opinions here. One website listed these on their list of worst headphones made. 

I don't think I've seen any negative opinions from people who did hear these. It seems to be the same argument over and over that just isn't true. The most negative and harsh reviews are people that purchase these with the intentions of keeping them. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #1,458 of 1,920
Quote:
 The most negative and harsh reviews are people that purchase these with the intentions of keeping them. 

Totally agree with that statement. I bought them and was very disappointed to hear the sound. I gave them a fair chance but decided that the bass was too bloated for my taste.   

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #1,459 of 1,920
It failed partly because of head-fi too. I think the forum has a great impact on the market

I seriously doubt that.

Beats by Dre sell despite the negative remarks on this forum, a lot of people don't even know this forum exist.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,460 of 1,920
Quote:
I seriously doubt that.

Beats by Dre sell despite the negative remarks on this forum, a lot of people don't even know this forum exist.

Target is different. You can't compare.
I mean anybody can buy some Beats headphones. You don't have to particularly care about headphones.
Spending 1K on a pair is something else that only "headphones enthusiasts" do.
Mr. anybody does not care about reading head-fi. Headphone enthusiasts do. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,461 of 1,920
Quote:
I mean anybody can buy some Beats headphones. You don't have to particularly care about headphones.
Spending 1K on a pair is something else that only "headphones enthusiasts" do.
Mr. anybody does not care about reading head-fi. Headphone enthusiasts do. 

Its very hard to find a review on D7100 done by a major online magazine. I have just heard some passing references made by Tyll from innerfidelity.com. He did not like the headphones when he measured them and was disappointed with Denon. Personally I trust what Tyll puts on that site and I have never gone wrong with his recommendation. I bought the Sennheiser Amperior based on his review and wow what a great headphone. When I first got into headphones it was mainly through innerfidelity, later on I saw Jude on youtube and that is how i came to know about Head-Fi.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,462 of 1,920
I just saw the Denon D600 at Best Buy...and that for a moment that they were the D7100. I ran and read some reviews and they were all negative of course. Overbassed. That only works for one or two genres of music. The D600 surely sound better than my Beats Studios (which I never listen to) but I wonder how the D7100 compares to the D600.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,463 of 1,920
I mean anybody can buy some Beats headphones

Hmmm, I did compare.

BTW, not everyone can drop 300-400 bucks on headphones.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,464 of 1,920
I have never read so much nonsense in one post. Shrieking highs? Boomy bass? I let myself ask a rhetorical question: Are HD800 plays with everything? Think about plug D7100 to some linear sounding gear. Most of semi-"audiophile" gear boosts various frequencies to sound unique unfortunatly... 
Sceondly... Did you took a extensive burn in prossess on D7100? My are about 140h and i already now that these are amazying headphones. My D5000 sounded pretty average in a start. After 450h they were different headphones with open sound with mass of details. I must admit that D7100 are colder sounding and have less open sound so far but the soundstage, highs ale just beautifull. They are still changing so everything is possible :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,467 of 1,920
I have never read so much nonsense in one post. Shrieking highs? Boomy bass? I let myself ask a rhetorical question: Are HD800 plays with everything? Think about plug D7100 to some linear sounding gear. Most of semi-"audiophile" gear boosts various frequencies to sound unique unfortunatly... 
Sceondly... Did you took a extensive burn in prossess on D7100? My are about 140h and i already now that these are amazying headphones. My D5000 sounded pretty average in a start. After 450h they were different headphones with open sound with mass of details. I must admit that D7100 are colder sounding and have less open sound so far but the soundstage, highs ale just beautifull. They are still changing so everything is possible :)

90% of break-in is in your mind, it's you getting accustomed to the sound. Tyll wrote a great article on this at Innerfidelity. It's ridiculous to expect people to hold on to cans past the date they can be returned, in the vain hope that they'll somehow metamorph into something better.

I'm getting tired of "junior members" astroturfing these things. Hey Denon, back to the drawing board and make these worthwhile, okay? :rolleyes: I own lots of your stuff, check my headphone profile, but these are wretched in comparison.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #1,468 of 1,920
Quote:
90% of break-in is in your mind, it's you getting accustomed to the sound. Tyll wrote a great article on this at Innerfidelity. It's ridiculous to expect people to hold on to cans past the date they can be returned, in the vain hope that they'll somehow metamorph into something better.

I'm getting tired of "junior members" astroturfing these things. Hey Denon, back to the drawing board and make these worthwhile, okay?
rolleyes.gif
I own lots of your stuff, check my headphone profile, but these are wretched in comparison.

You have lot of nice cars :wink: my dream to own one just like the one you have, I better work harder.. ... :wink:

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #1,469 of 1,920
To be honest they are not that bad. I returned mine because I did not like the bass it was too strong for my preference. But for someone who is a bass head it might be perfect. They have nice soundstage for a closed pair of headphones. Also you don't need an amplifier/dac to make them work. I think this thread is turning into a hunting ground for anyone who has a positive thing to say about this headphone. I find that some members who are very Anti Denon's new range of headphone returning time and time again to say the same stuff (i.e. these headphones suck dont buy them). Please my request to these members is to let other voices participate in the discussion. I look forward to hearing some other views on these headphone.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #1,470 of 1,920
To be honest they are not that bad. I returned mine because I did not like the bass it was too strong for my preference. But for someone who is a bass head it might be perfect. They have nice soundstage for a closed pair of headphones. Also you don't need an amplifier/dac to make them work. I think this thread is turning into a hunting ground for anyone who has a positive thing to say about this headphone. I find that some members who are very Anti Denon's new range of headphone returning time and time again to say the same stuff (i.e. these headphones suck dont buy them). Please my request to these members is to let other voices participate in the discussion. I look forward to hearing some other views on these headphone.

The appreciation thread has lots of people who love the D7100s, over there they can go nuts over them all they want. :wink: For what these cost, they're dreadful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back