Denon D7100?!
Mar 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,306 of 1,920
UPDATE 70 HOURS: The headphones are sounding more detailed. Its funny I can here the bass in the background doing its thing but the Mid's and High's are so clear and detailed that I dont mind it anymore. Frankly comparing the D7100 to a open headphone is not really fair. With a closed headphone you would always have a louder background but its important that the Bass does not over shadow the Mid's and the High's. In the D7100 I feel that everything is staying in its place and I am having a wonderful time listening to these headphones. The clarity and detail are all present and the bass is more in its place.

One thing I would like to add is that on my current setup I am hearing more detail with the Denon AH-D7100 than the Hifiman HE-500. I have to crank up the volume in order to hear the high's and detail on the HE-500. This could be an issue with the Headphone sensitivity and my Corda Jazz. I think people have judged this headphone too soon. People talk about the Sennheiser HD 650 need 300 hrs of burn-in but are not willing to give the Denon 10hrs.

Currently I am thinking of buying a third pair of headphone to really test the difference. Should I go with the Sennheiser HD 650 or something else? I have about £400. Personally I feel that Tyll should have given these headphones atleast 20 hrs before taking the readings. I know and have heard these headphones change. 

The first time I heard the Live Paul Simon (The Obvious Child) on the D7100 I was shocked. I could not believe that I had paid £600 for these headphones. The bass was all over the place you could hardly hear the Mid's the vocals were recessed and the high's I did not pay any attention to. But within 10 hrs of burn-in the headphones had changed, everything fell into place. And since then I have been chilling out noticing more and more detail and clarity from these headphones.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,307 of 1,920
Just to add listening to Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms between 1:20 to 2:00min I hear Mark but in the background you can hear very faint cymbal. I have heard this song again and again for the last 10 years but its just now I noticed this. And this is coming from the Denon AH-D7100 who someone on this Head-Fi website called fart canons. I have listened to this song from a Cyrus 6CD and Cyrus 6 amp with B&W 602 S3 speakers but never noticed that faint cymbal.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,308 of 1,920
I haven't heard the D7100, I do own the D2000, which I find to have more than enough bass. Maybe this (below) is why they were labeled fart cannons, yet the peak just below 10kHz is why you are hearing the cymbal? Again, just speculating..

graphCompare.php

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #1,309 of 1,920
Frankly, this is the reason I can't stomach them:

To me they sound grainy and nasty. That amount of distortion is simply inexcusable from a set of flagship headphones.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,310 of 1,920
Quote:
I haven't heard the D7100, I do own the D2000, which I find to have more than enough bass. Maybe this (below) is why they were labeled fart cannons, yet the peak just below 10kHz is why you are hearing the cymbal? Again, just speculating..

graphCompare.php

Hey Dave. I've actually heard them side-by-side and I'd take the D2000s in a heart beat. 
size]

And those measurements certainly don't help the D7100's cause.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,313 of 1,920
Quote:

The measurements were done before the proper burn in and they were obviously using a stock cable. 

While burn-in can audibly (and very slightly) change a headphone (as cables), they cannot drastically change an FR graph (if even at all):

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-cable-measurements-wrap

FWIW, the pair I heard (according to the salesperson) had easily a few hundred hours on it.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,314 of 1,920
Quote:
Oooh shots fired! 
devil_face.gif

Quote:
While burn-in can audibly (and very slightly) change a headphone (as cables), they cannot drastically change an FR graph (if even at all):

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-cable-measurements-wrap

FWIW, the pair I heard (according to the salesperson) had easily a few hundred hours on it.

I was just teasing. I also got the chance to hear two different pairs of these one of which was for a long period of time. I'd easily pick the D2000 as well. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #1,315 of 1,920
Quote:

I was just teasing. I also got the chance to hear two different pairs of these one of which was for a long period of time. I'd easily pick the D2000 as well. 

Gotcha. 
size]

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,316 of 1,920
Mar 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #1,317 of 1,920
Quote:
Hey Dave. I've actually heard them side-by-side and I'd take the D2000s in a heart beat. 
size]

And those measurements certainly don't help the D7100's cause.

Strange than Denon has lost the "plot"
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,319 of 1,920
I know exactly how 
smiley_thumb.gif
 it went down. Denon execs noticed everywhere Beats were being sold, there was extra cash being left behind on the table. Wanting to get in on some of that action, Denon approached Fostex:

Denon: We need to get out more, and get the Denon brand out in the streets! When our customers leave for the day/night, we want to go with them.
Fostex: Not with our Urushi cups! 
nea.gif

Okay 
rolleyes.gif
 this is the short version...

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,320 of 1,920
Quote:

The measurements were done before the proper burn in and they were obviously using a stock cable. 

Quote:

LOL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back