Denon D7100?!
Apr 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #167 of 1,920
Quote:
You are more likely to see people wearing Denon's or especially Sennheiser's than Beats here.
Not every country is affected by Beats hype.

where in my post did I mention beats?

Nowhere. Point being there are plently of, scratch that, overwhelming majority of people who use brands like Denon, Senn who have never even heard about HeadFi.

You are indeed making way too big assumptions from one English forum in internets. Not to say HeadFi is meaningless.

Not every country is affected by Beats hype.

Just the developed ones.

I'm kidding! I'm kidding! :wink:

If Beats present peak of civilization, i sure am happy to live in this less developed country. :D

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #169 of 1,920
They did something very right with the D7000s.  Everyone that I know who had seen my D7000s agreed they're a gorgeous pair of headphones.  They're like the Jaguar of headphones.  Honestly, I don't care that much if a pair of headphones is dorky looking (I own the LCD-2s), but I do care that a company who has proven they can make classy, elegant headphones made such a downgrade.  However, if they sound incredibly good, I might just be able to overlook the bad taste and enjoy the headphones.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #170 of 1,920
Quote:
You are giving yourself way too much credit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Who out side of the head-fi world have you seen with Denon headphones OTHER than the D1001

I am not concerned with what other people are wearing or the number, I am only concerned about what is sitting on my head.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #171 of 1,920

Quote:
If you wanted to show your non- head-fi friends what headphones are all about, and you can pick one can you own, and you own the d7k and the d7.1k which would it be? Admit it, not the D7.1k

I disagree, I WOULD actually pick the D7100.
From my experience most laymans don't seem to appreciate good wood work; I actually had a photographer friend who want to take photos of my headphones, I gave her the choice between the K701 and the W1000x, she immediately grabbed the K701 (she knows nothing about headphones) because the W1000x looks "old fashioned", and she had no idea that the W1000x was way more expensive compared to the K701.  So assuming if the D7000 and D7100 sounds exactly the same I would actually show them the D7100 because my feeling tells me that's the "in" style for the normal crowd that Denon is aiming for.  If the D7100 is made of fine leather then people would be even more likely to appreciate it than wood - everyone seems to think leather is better than wood for some reason, most likely due to fashion like expensive leather jackets etc which never goes out of fashion.  Also metal is appreciated a lot higher than wood as well.  Wood seems to usually reminds youths of their grand parent's furniture - the image is that wood is "old" is pretty common, and face it that's not the current bread-winning demography.  

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #172 of 1,920

Quote:

I disagree, I WOULD actually pick the D7100.
From my experience most laymans don't seem to appreciate good wood work; I actually had a photographer friend who want to take photos of my headphones, I gave her the choice between the K701 and the W1000x, she immediately grabbed the K701 (she knows nothing about headphones) because the W1000x looks "old fashioned", and she had no idea that the W1000x was way more expensive compared to the K701.  So assuming if the D7000 and D7100 sounds exactly the same I would actually show them the D7100 because my feeling tells me that's the "in" style for the normal crowd that Denon is aiming for.  If the D7100 is made of fine leather then people would be even more likely to appreciate it than wood - everyone seems to think leather is better than wood for some reason, most likely due to fashion like expensive leather jackets etc which never goes out of fashion.  Also metal is appreciated a lot higher than wood as well.  Wood seems to usually reminds youths of their grand parent's furniture - the image is that wood is "old" is pretty common, and face it that's not the current bread-winning demography.  

So you'd prefer the D7100's because other people would be more impressed by it?
And as far as some people not noticing wood, it depends on the person. The first thing people notice when they see my 7000's is the wood.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #173 of 1,920

Quote:

So you'd prefer the D7100's because other people would be more impressed by it?
And as far as some people not noticing wood, it depends on the person. The first thing people notice when they see my 7000's is the wood.

No - the original question I was answering to was between the D7000 and the D7100 which would one pick to show to non-audiophile friends, given that condition I would definitely show them the D7100 preciously due to the experience that I had where most of my non-audiophile friends (20s-30s) would instantly pick the K701 over W1000x because they think the wood makes the phones look old fashioned (their exact words), wood gives them the old man/their white haired wrinkle grand father using them feeling, while the modern looking (but plastic-y) K701 wows them more, despite the huge price difference in favour of the W1000x that pitches the W1000x well into the luxury category.  In fact I would have no doubts that if I throw in my T1s into the mix the reaction would be exactly the same and they would reach for the K701 then the T1 and the W1000x last.  I haven't shown my friends the Edition 8 but I would bet that it would take the "bling" of the Edition 8 to get them to pick something else other than the K701.  My experience tells me modern and sleek design or "bling" is the young crowd winner while wood is way at the bottom, so that's why I said between the two I would show them the D7100 over the D7000.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #174 of 1,920

Quote:

No - the original question I was answering to was between the D7000 and the D7100 which would one pick to show to non-audiophile friends, given that condition I would definitely show them the D7100 preciously due to the experience that I had where most of my non-audiophile friends (20s-30s) would instantly pick the K701 over W1000x because they think the wood makes the phones look old fashioned (their exact words), wood gives them the old man/their white haired wrinkle grand father using them feeling, while the modern looking (but plastic-y) K701 wows them more, despite the huge price difference in favour of the W1000x that pitches the W1000x well into the luxury category.  In fact I would have no doubts that if I throw in my T1s into the mix the reaction would be exactly the same and they would reach for the K701 then the T1 and the W1000x last.  I haven't shown my friends the Edition 8 but I would bet that it would take the "bling" of the Edition 8 to get them to pick something else other than the K701.  My experience tells me modern and sleek design or "bling" is the young crowd winner while wood is way at the bottom, so that's why I said between the two I would show them the D7100 over the D7000.

Gotcha. That's what I get for not reading the quote. :p

While I do think it varies from person to person, I agree that the majority of the younger crowd would pick up something futuristic and plastic.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #175 of 1,920

Quote:

Gotcha. That's what I get for not reading the quote. :p

While I do think it varies from person to person, I agree that the majority of the younger crowd would pick up something futuristic and plastic.

I actually find it ironic that the audiophile community is the first to whine the loudest on how Denon had "lost its way" on pretty much every forum I visit - shouldn't we be the ones to value sound over looks first?  Aren't the audiophiles the ones who laughs at Beats/Bose buyers for buying into looks over sound and treat them as fashion statements rather than a piece of equipment which produces good sound?  And if that's the case then why judge these phones on their looks as if they are a fashion statement then?  If the D7100 sounds better than the D7000 would the audiophiles not buy them simply because they aren't woodies any more?

I love a pair of woodies as much as the next guy (heck I still have my woodie AT) - but I thought it was the sound the counts? 

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #176 of 1,920
Thing is, I'd say beats/bose look horrid. The D7000's have properly good design and aesthetics.

A lot of high end headphones look...eh, and when the disparity of sound is so great (like comparing a proper set of headphones to something like beats), of course the sound is most important. However, Denon is one of the few companies that really has been able to make a headphone that looks as good as it sounds. This is a nice refreshing change to most "audiophiles" since everyone enjoys when something has better aesthetics, especially if they aren't used to it. When people see that Denon is moving away from that, they're obviously disappointed. If the D7100's sound better, it's not because of the plastic, and Denon could easily make a better sounding headphone that uses metal and wood instead. The disappointment stems from the fact that Denon very much *could* make a better sounding headphone that looks just as good, but they didn't.

A good example to compare is supercars. Yes, supercars are all about performance, but design and aesthetics play a very important role in it as well. Companies spend tons and tons of money making sure their supercar looks as good as it can, because when it comes down to it, looks matter.

Truthfully, if you had the cash, which car would you buy? The better looking Ferrari 599:

Or the faster SSC Aero:

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #177 of 1,920

Quote:
Thing is, I'd say beats/bose look horrid. The D7000's have properly good design and aesthetics.

A lot of high end headphones look...eh, and when the disparity of sound is so great (like comparing a proper set of headphones to something like beats), of course the sound is most important. However, Denon is one of the few companies that really has been able to make a headphone that looks as good as it sounds. This is a nice refreshing change to most "audiophiles" since everyone enjoys when something has better aesthetics, especially if they aren't used to it. When people see that Denon is moving away from that, they're obviously disappointed. If the D7100's sound better, it's not because of the plastic, and Denon could easily make a better sounding headphone that uses metal and wood instead. The disappointment stems from the fact that Denon very much *could* make a better sounding headphone that looks just as good, but they didn't.

A good example to compare is supercars. Yes, supercars are all about performance, but design and aesthetics play a very important role in it as well. Companies spend tons and tons of money making sure their supercar looks as good as it can, because when it comes down to it, looks matter.

Truthfully, if you had the cash, which car would you buy? The better looking Ferrari 599:

Or the faster SSC Aero:

first off, 458 italia or lamborgini aventador.

And back on topic, and nanaholic is right, i spoke to gf (designer, non-audio fanatic [has AKG k142HD because of looks]) and she liked the D7.1k (and the abreviation doesnt work anymore....) its definately designer orientated, and to be honest there is no room for wood on that design. Hell when i got into it i really couldnt care for wood (age 20 then, now 22) and its sort of grown on me, although i will admit i dont like the looks of the AT woodies but i do like the redish wood itself, and hell i dont like the stock wood on the D7k that much either. but its still classier to me then the d7100.

I guess it comes down to age, i would show my father and his father the D7000, and people my age the D7100

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #178 of 1,920
Actually the 458, but that's just me. :wink:

I want performance and aesthetics, and the 7100 fails on the former.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #179 of 1,920

Quote:

first off, 458 italia or lamborgini aventador.

And back on topic, and nanaholic is right, i spoke to gf (designer, non-audio fanatic [has AKG k142HD because of looks]) and she liked the D7.1k (and the abreviation doesnt work anymore....) its definately designer orientated, and to be honest there is no room for wood on that design. Hell when i got into it i really couldnt care for wood (age 20 then, now 22) and its sort of grown on me, although i will admit i dont like the looks of the AT woodies but i do like the redish wood itself, and hell i dont like the stock wood on the D7k that much either. but its still classier to me then the d7100.

I guess it comes down to age, i would show my father and his father the D7000, and people my age the D7100

Personally, the 458, but I'm a Ferrari fan. Though I don't believe that compares; most people would say they both look great.

I'm a designer as well, and I think the D7100's look pretty bad. You'll find very differing opinions from designers when it comes to a number of areas. My guess for our differing opinions is that she is more into a "trendy" set of design (which women more commonly are), whereas men are more inclined to prefer the "classic/timeless" set of design. Also, the D7000's have a *very* masculine-oriented design aesthetic.
Make no mistake, the D7100's are more trendy, but will they look good in 10 years? I very highly doubt it.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #180 of 1,920

Quote:

I actually find it ironic that the audiophile community is the first to whine the loudest on how Denon had "lost its way" on pretty much every forum I visit - shouldn't we be the ones to value sound over looks first?  Aren't the audiophiles the ones who laughs at Beats/Bose buyers for buying into looks over sound and treat them as fashion statements rather than a piece of equipment which produces good sound?  And if that's the case then why judge these phones on their looks as if they are a fashion statement then?  If the D7100 sounds better than the D7000 would the audiophiles not buy them simply because they aren't woodies any more?

I love a pair of woodies as much as the next guy (heck I still have my woodie AT) - but I thought it was the sound the counts? 

I doubt all here feel really that passionate about this. If D7100 sounds amazing, you will see hundreds after hundreds page long appreciation thread with the design already on the sidelines.

Why is the design talked here then? It's the only thing we know about D7100 and only thing to discuss. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back