Denon D7100?!
Sep 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #901 of 1,920
Quote:
. One word to sum these up: Distortion. Lots of distortion, which combined with the overabundance of bass, makes for a rather expensive pair of fart simulators.

versus, from the reviewer Misiu :
Quote:
They're just perfect! If you're like me and want bass, bass and more bass, stop looking and fork out for these. They rattle on your ears when turned up and they don't distort.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882291-REG/Denon_ah_d7100_Music_Maniac_Artisan_Headphones.html

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #902 of 1,920
:eek:  What an indictment!

I know, that's the worst I could think of, and it fits the situation.

They can say what they want, I don't have their ears. However, I can stand behind the Innerfidelity measurements, and I eagerly await theirs:

Maybe they can't hear 2-5% distortion, but I sure can. From testing, I'm fairly sensitive down to 0.3%, and over 0.5% starts to really stand out. However, how anyone can't hear the flabby, boosted bass on these is a mystery, IMO.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7100.pdf

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #903 of 1,920
Wow that graph looks horrible....
confused_face_2.gif

So this hole disaster transpired from a disagreement between Denon and Fostex. "Loose-lips sink ships." Wonder if Denon can really survive this one....

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #904 of 1,920
Well, the frequency response sucks, the THD  sucks, the impulse response sucks ....
But the 30hz square measurement is great
biggrin.gif

But frankly I  don't know how the distortion would affect  the listening,
I  mean, even if it's not high fidelity, it could still sound pleasing ?

@magick man
Quote:
However, how anyone can't hear the flabby, boosted bass on these is a mystery, IMO.

If their target, is people enjoying monster beats .....

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #905 of 1,920
Wow that graph looks horrible.... :confused_face_2:

So this hole disaster transpired from a disagreement between Denon and Fostex. "Loose-lips sink ships." Wonder if Denon can really survive this one....

I assume so, and it's tragic that it's gone down this way.

Well, the frequency response sucks, the THD  sucks, the impulse response sucks ....
But the 30hz square measurement is great :D

But frankly I  don't know how the distortion would affect  the listening,
I  mean, even if it's not high fidelity, it could still sound pleasing ?

@magick man
If their target, is people enjoying monster beats .....

For that much green, I'd expect hi-fidelity. Some coloration is fine, and sometimes even desirable, but the sound from the D7100s is woeful. Then, you look at the measurements and you see why. Ugh. If they're playing to the Beats crowd, that's cool, just make them better than Beats. Personally, I don't know any boomy-bass loving people who would go for these over the Beats Pros, considering they sell for 3x more money. The Denons are uglier, they sound worse, and they lack the Beats "street cred". I'm hard on Monster for that whole line, but the Pros don't suck. They're attractive, have acceptable SQ, and very pleasing ergonomics. I think they're very good $200 headphones, the problem is they cost $400. When I find some used Pros at the pawn shop for that price, I'm gonna buy them, no shizzle. The D7100s, OTOH, are $1200, and realistically, hand on heart, are $99 headphones. The Creative CAL!s are superior ($90), as are the Fischer FA-003 clones that are going for $50.

With 110% honesty, who are these for? The only positive thing I noticed about them was the pads felt good against my skin. They did, actually, it was very nice. But, the Aztek had one good thing going for it too, it could turn into a hideous $23,000 tent, for when you find yourself desperate and homeless. Probably from buying the Aztek.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #906 of 1,920
But if I do a quick search ,  I see few positive reviews elsewhere.
Like scrapser saying:
Quote:
But I can say they are very clean, clear, and you hear everything without one range overwhelming the others.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1423060/received-denon-ah-d7100-headphones

Off course , this might be people that have no clue of what is high fidelity and influenced by the price.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #907 of 1,920
Guys, is it that bad with D7100 as I see it on this image?

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #908 of 1,920
Two more graphs:

The raw one looks closer to the Inner fidelity graphs.

I don't put much trust in graphs. According to them my KRK KNS-8400 should be some sort of bass monster, but it's close to being bass light.
The D7100 graph sure does look ugly.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #909 of 1,920
Yeah- it does look like a huge departure from the sound signature we're all familiar with. Did they really mess with a good thing? From the EQ perspective, is the SQ better preserved when lowering the bass response instead of boosting it?

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #910 of 1,920
Quote:

versus, from the reviewer Misiu :

They're just perfect! If you're like me and want bass, bass and more bass, stop looking and fork out for these. They rattle on your ears when turned up and they don't distort.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882291-REG/Denon_ah_d7100_Music_Maniac_Artisan_Headphones.html

Just to be clear, I believe Magick Man (if I'm understanding him correctly) and the reviewer on B&H are talking about different types of distortion. The D7100 seem to have lots of harmonic distortion, which is heard as general lack of clarity throughout the range. People who have heard them (me included) can attest to this -- some describe it as "lo-fi" sounding, some describe it as muddy, some describe them as fart cannons. 

As far as the B&H review, you ever had a pair of cheap computer speakers where if you turn them up the sound distorts/clips? It looks like the review is referring to that, which is not the same thing as what Magick Man is describing. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #911 of 1,920
Sep 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #912 of 1,920
Sep 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #914 of 1,920

Users who are viewing this thread

Back