Denon D7000's Vs. $300 iem's... Questions
Nov 14, 2011 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kali77

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I have been contemplating selling my D7000's to fund some iem's in the $250-300 range. I have been as of late listening to portable audio %65/35. I just picked up and burned in my Brainwavz M2's and think they are nice, but am wondering what the next level has to offer. Now soundstage, and space are important to me. I like a neutral sound, with adequate bass( not a basshead, but like clean accurate bass). Are these things I can expect from this price point in iem's or am I setting myself up for a major let down. My plan would be sell the D7000's and pick up some used or new HD650's for home and use the rest towards a decent set of iem's.... IE8's, UM3x's, etc.... Thoughts?

I would also like an iem that I can use with my gdaudio compass at home. Are there iem's that offer the capability of plugging into a 1/4 headphone jack, and running off my compass?

Posted in the portable section as well, as I know some hangout in different sub-forums and would like an unbiased opinion, or someone with experience with above listed phones/iem's

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
I would also like an iem that I can use with my gdaudio compass at home. Are there iem's that offer the capability of plugging into a 1/4 headphone jack, and running off my compass?

Virtually no IEM's come standard with a 1/4 in. plug. Virtually all IEM's are compatible with a 3.5mm->1/4 in. adapter. Or you can re-terminate the cable and make a permanent 1/4 in. plug.

In other words, yes every single IEM you can use with your AudioGD compass if you purchase an extra maybe $1 of equipment.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Virtually no IEM's come standard with a 1/4 in. plug. Virtually all IEM's are compatible with a 3.5mm->1/4 in. adapter. Or you can re-terminate the cable and make a permanent 1/4 in. plug.

In other words, yes every single IEM you can use with your AudioGD compass if you purchase an extra maybe $1 of equipment.

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciated.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Really more interested in hearing how people think that price point of iem's stack up against the Denon's, and if they are capable of producing a decent soundstage, open space, and nice instrument separation. Or am I setting myself up for major disappointment.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 11

IE8 the widest soundstage Ive heard, but coming from TF10 it is super dark, the detail is there,  but you have to listen carefully bc of the bass.
UM3x-great instrument separation and detail, but very small soundstage
TF10/W3, good extension on both ends, slightly recessed mids, big soundstage width, but not as much depth imho.  

In my mind I think a good recommendation would be ER4P, or RE252, both pretty balanced, above average soundstage, clean accurate bass (some would say lacking).  Good transparency and detail..Never heard the EQ-5, DBA02, or GR07, but I'm sure someone will chime in..

Quote:
Recently I have been contemplating selling my D7000's to fund some iem's in the $250-300 range. I have been as of late listening to portable audio %65/35. I just picked up and burned in my Brainwavz M2's and think they are nice, but am wondering what the next level has to offer. Now soundstage, and space are important to me. I like a neutral sound, with adequate bass( not a basshead, but like clean accurate bass). Are these things I can expect from this price point in iem's or am I setting myself up for a major let down. My plan would be sell the D7000's and pick up some used or new HD650's for home and use the rest towards a decent set of iem's.... IE8's, UM3x's, etc.... Thoughts?

Posted in the portable section as well, as I know some hangout in different sub-forums and would like an unbiased opinion, or someone with experience with above listed phones/iem's

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 11
Kimchee, thank you very much, I appreciate your input. I will look more into the ER4P. didn't realize the IE8's were on the dark side, may have to rule them out. I don't want anything bright, or dark. Looking for neutral, accurate reproduction of the recording.

That is bummer on the soundstage of the um3x because a lot of what I have read, sounds like what I am looking for. I really appreciate a nice soundstage though.
Quote:
IE8 the widest soundstage Ive heard, but coming from TF10 it is super dark, the detail is there,  but you have to listen carefully bc of the bass.
UM3x-great instrument separation and detail, but very small soundstage
TF10/W3, good extension on both ends, slightly recessed mids, big soundstage width, but not as much depth imho.  

In my mind I think a good recommendation would be ER4P, or RE252, both pretty balanced, above average soundstage, clean accurate bass (some would say lacking).  Good transparency and detail..Never heard the EQ-5, DBA02, or GR07, but I'm sure someone will chime in..

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 11
The IE8 are definitely not dark, they have a very warm bassy sound texture not to mention wide sound stage. The TF10 is bit more clean sounding compared to the IE8 which is why it has better instrument separation. The UM3X (never heard the W3 before) has bit of both earphones, clean sounding, quantity of bass with enough slam when required (not as much as the IE8) and has good clarity, detail and instrument separation quality. The GR07 is like a lower version of the IE8 (basshead IEM) while being clean and detailed at the same time.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 11
I just did the whole IEM comparison thing trying to settle on a new set.  The only ones on my list I haven't had the pleasure of sampling yet are the IE8's. 

Loving my D5000's for home use, I would say the Westone W3 is a good replacement for the Denon in a portable sense.  The W3 has plenty of bass and a fun sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back