Denon D7000 Review!
Apr 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #166 of 257

Quote:
Nice review, I have a feeling it will be a long time before I get anything like these e.e

Although I did appreciate your mentioning the Pro 750, I looked into it, it may be in my near future. Still, good to hear the D7k delivers proper justice to a cello!

The Pro 750's served me very well for a number of years. I'm not a fan of the signature anymore, but I'm more than glad I picked it up when I did.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #167 of 257
I'll hopefully have a bit to add on the Lawton Audio front at some point as my D7000 arrived today and I''ve had the Angle Pads on order since early February and I added the DIY tuning kit to the order just so I could play around with it.

So far I'm impressed with the fresh D7000 compared to my burned in D5000 that I sold earlier this week.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #168 of 257
I added a little edit at the end of the review, I'll post it here just in case:

EDIT: I've been asked by quite a number of people what headphone stand I'm using. Just to save you guys some time, here is the stand:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100387753/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=rubbermaid+hose+hook&storeId=10051
It's originally designed as a hose rack, but works great as a headphone stand. I have two at the moment. :)
And please, if anyone has any more questions, do not hesitate to ask, I'd be happy to answer. :D

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #171 of 257
I can give u the D2K one if u want:

26.5cm (height) x 12.5cm (width) x 22.5cm (length) 

(yes I got my box, and a ruler, and wrote it down for ya, within 5mins 
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #174 of 257

Quote:

D7000-

Anyone North of 1,500 hours on their D7000's? Prior to purchasing my D7000's, I sold my Denon D5000 @ 1,926 hours, which at that point became unrecognizable... 
biggrin.gif
 in a good way! Burn-in on the D5k was longer, more brutal, than the D7k and didn't get themselves right until about the 175 mark. 

I sailed through the months with pleasure under the D5k's all the way to 1,200 hours. And then I noticed really small changes without any other components introduced. At 1,500 hours, the D5's sweetened in a way that had me at once grinning yet looking around the listening room for clues. Through hours 1,500-1,926, they had become an entirely different headphone! This is what I am hoping for the D7k, that the drivers will sweeten over time with additional playtime. Currently sitting @ 1,124 hours. 
wink.gif

Amazing! I have never thought of burn in later in the game. I must be getting close to the 1000 hr mark, but I never thought of taking notes at this point.

One thing I will say is the AH-D7000s scale up to whatever you give them. Much of the fuss in the early days here at Head-Fi with the AH-D7000 reviews I felt reflected the reviewers equipment. They seem to show much more about the equipment than folks thought. Maybe not exact detail but just their own way of showing tone like they do. I've posted this many times, but I will post it again.......

The biggest changes with the AH-D7000s were from cable changes. Not a headphone re-cable, but a different 110 power-cord to my amp and different RCA interconnects. These changes found the 7000s scale to meet both the speed and bass control. All the talk of mid fuzzy-ness had me a believer at the time of it being just something with the Denons. I loved so many things about them, I could live with an echo in the mids. With cable changes the mid-echo was gone and replaced with a stunning fast mid-detail. The bass then became expanded and textured both in sound stage and tone. The bass was less muddy and the whole sound signature was now very clear. My main issue was speed, I had a system which was slow but played jazz and classical well just by the seat of it's pants due to the tone it had. After cable changes the PRaT came in and let me enjoy the only music I listen to.......METAL! I sat for a first four hour run listening to what two different high end power cords did to the lower sound-stage detail on a King Diamond Gold reference CD of "Them". The greatest CD I used for reference ended up being a gold CD remaster of "The Eye" by King Diamond. Later I found "Conspiracy" to be another great audiophile Metal experience. I then locked myself away for a full 12 hour listening run, as I knew this was a special day in my life with the Denons. They are far better headphones for Metal than most folks know. The great news is many will at future dates find out how they up-scale with new equipment and cable modifications.   

In summery, I do believe in burn-in but I think way more drastic changes can be obtained with equipment and cable changes. The AH-D sound signature seemed right for me the minute I head them. The future changes took them to a place farther than I could ever have imagined they could scale to!  

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #175 of 257
Got my 7K a week ago. sounds really nice after 50hours break in. Seeing somebody noticeable changes after a 1000h, Wow thats amazing. In my shortcoming hi-fi life (thats about 15 year and still counting) I never heard anything like that. how they manage to keep track of time...

Credits to the reviewer.

My sweetheart:

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #176 of 257

Quote:
Amazing! I have never thought of burn in later in the game. I must be getting close to the 1000 hr mark, but I never thought of taking notes at this point.

One thing I will say is the AH-D7000s scale up to whatever you give them. Much of the fuss in the early days here at Head-Fi with the AH-D7000 reviews I felt reflected the reviewers equipment. They seem to show much more about the equipment than folks thought. Maybe not exact detail but just their own way of showing tone like they do. I've posted this many times, but I will post it again.......

The biggest changes with the AH-D7000s were from cable changes. Not a headphone re-cable, but a different 110 power-cord to my amp and different RCA interconnects. These changes found the 7000s scale to meet both the speed and bass control. All the talk of mid fuzzy-ness had me a believer at the time of it being just something with the Denons. I loved so many things about them, I could live with an echo in the mids. With cable changes the mid-echo was gone and replaced with a stunning fast mid-detail. The bass then became expanded and textured both in sound stage and tone. The bass was less muddy and the whole sound signature was now very clear. My main issue was speed, I had a system which was slow but played jazz and classical well just by the seat of it's pants due to the tone it had. After cable changes the PRaT came in and let me enjoy the only music I listen to.......METAL! I sat for a first four hour run listening to what two different high end power cords did to the lower sound-stage detail on a King Diamond Gold reference CD of "Them". The greatest CD I used for reference ended up being a gold CD remaster of "The Eye" by King Diamond. Later I found "Conspiracy" to be another great audiophile Metal experience. I then locked myself away for a full 12 hour listening run, as I knew this was a special day in my life with the Denons. They are far better headphones for Metal than most folks know. The great news is many will at future dates find out how they up-scale with new equipment and cable modifications.   

In summery, I do believe in burn-in but I think way more drastic changes can be obtained with equipment and cable changes. The AH-D sound signature seemed right for me the minute I head them. The future changes took them to a place farther than I could ever have imagined they could scale to!  

Your changes are good and good to hear! 
biggrin.gif
 I would like to say that in my own system, I made those changes to the benefit of the D5000 before moving going uptown with the D7000. Adding the Wireworld Electra 5* Power Conditioning Cord w/Furutech 24k gold connector for the amp; Music server & DAC; Wireworld Eclipse 6 Interconnects, were indeed wise choices. 
wink.gif

But to be clear, I'm expressing a different view of the concept of "Burn-in." And that's "Play-in." Even if an electrical component - one that is use to having current flowing through it - is fully burned in but seldom utilized, it will revert away from that fully burned-in status (regress?). Play-in will resolve this. So, I'm not suggesting that the D5000's were not burned-in until some 1,500 hours later. The point I'm trying to make is many users will never know just how good things can get if they don't give themselves a chance to get there - "Magic Up Ahead..." 

There are some members among us who don't believe in the concept of "Burn-in" at all, let alone "Play-in." 
rolleyes.gif
 And I'm so happy for them! Even among those that do, quite a few members own several cans at once. Unless one is "cooking" their cans through the rotation, no one pair of cans will ever be at its best during its moment to shine. Think about how many members with multiple cans, bring in the latest and evaluate whether it stays or goes. Maybe they keep it and sell one from the collection. Either the new can or the one from the collection is likely to have very few hours on them. How can any headphone truly be evaluated with minimum hours played intermittently? Sure, it's done (obviously). But, some might have made their move to sell too soon!

Of course, those are my views, those are my opinions. And I find it exciting to learn of and learn from other's experiences.    

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #177 of 257

Quote:
Got my 7K a week ago. sounds really nice after 50hours break in. Seeing somebody noticeable changes after a 1000h, Wow thats amazing. In my shortcoming hi-fi life (thats about 15 year and still counting) I never heard anything like that. how they manage to keep track of time...

Credits to the reviewer.

My sweetheart:

Simply beautiful!

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #178 of 257
The D7000 sounds "nearly" perfect on my ears , bass seems very well controlled , not much , not less , just right in the sweet spot , but i really dont satisfy with the soundstage , it's good , but i want more , Im using my D7000 with Asus Essence STX . Any ideas about an upgrade , for soundstage only ????
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #179 of 257

Quote:
The D7000 sounds "nearly" perfect on my ears , bass seems very well controlled , not much , not less , just right in the sweet spot , but i really dont satisfy with the soundstage , it's good , but i want more , Im using my D7000 with Asus Essence STX . Any ideas about an upgrade , for soundstage only ????
smily_headphones1.gif

I might get flamed + have no experience:
New pads?
Like the lawton audio ones - might increase the soundstage?

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #180 of 257
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Buy another headphone. I've tried a few different amps that affect my open headphones considerably but are hardly noticeable with the Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back