Denon D7000 Review!
Mar 23, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #107 of 257
Oooooo

The denon's are both really popular headphones around here. They've been reviewed extensively (esp the d2k) compared to some other headphones, and i've read nowhere anything suggesting that the 350g d2k (without cable) and the 370g d7k were wrong- by quite a margin.

Just switching between both headphones in my hands- i actually thought there must be something wrong with my arm, or i'm weirdly imagining some difference.

So i today bought some kitchen scales and well here goes. Since leaving school this is my first and last (mildly) scientific investigation;

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the heaviest of them all?? d2k, d7k or the k550? 
photos taken from samsung galaxy s in not great lighting. Bad quality

Here you go. I've been on headfi for around a year, and browsed for over 3 years. Never did i think the first photo i'll upload is going to be of such sort.

Simple, reliable (?), brand new, great reviews (see Argos), not the cheapest one they stock, new batteries,......., the scales work. Please don't force me to give a review on these scales- although i will say that on the package it boasts measurement of stuff to the nearest 1g and allowing  weights up till 3kg! 

(1) DENON D2K:  ~373g (w/o cable)    

official weight from denon's website: 350g

The overweight denon d2k. Note that FOR ALL HEADPHONES i was trying my best to not include cable weight in the measurement. I'll hold in my left hand most of the cable (having it wound up makes it easier) and to account for the cable sticking out of the L/R terminations I put an alarm clock there to support the weight.

I'm not aiming for precision here- as just weighing the other headphones (d7k and k550) using the same method is suffice to show weight differences. It's like a continued constant error factor is okay, as all were looking at is the differences between each headphones weight. I doubt that if you measure either of your d2k or the d7k without the cable, you'll come up with my weights. But I guarantee the difference between these two will be very similar to what i found. Unless denon don't regulate weights of headphones or my model is a new model of your old one. 

And in case you're wondering on the condition of these d2k's and if there fake/modded- well stop wondering. Bought from peter tyson uk (denon's main uk dealer), these are in very good condition. I've used these mostly for movie's and a bit for music here and there, but they've never been modded or subject to any kind of abuse at all !!

(2) ITS LITTLE BROTHER: DENON D7K:  ~327g           

official weight: 370g

Errm, yes. Around 46g lighter than it's chubby sibling.

Take this how you want.
Mute point?
Irrelevant?
Important to you?
Inconclusive?
Feel like arguing or furiously quizzing me?- please don't as I haven't unfortunately the time (uni exams coming soon!!). You see these d7k's i bought only as I got messed over by custom in ear manufacturer acs. Wasted so much of my time over 2+ months this year, and it felt like defeat if i wasn't going to get something else instead of them- so i quickly (within a few hours) decided to get these.  They came in 2 days time and I only talk lightly about them here becasue i'm so surprised at how much more comfortable they are than the d2k! Lighter clamp, better headband, overall way more manageable weight.

Plus it shows there's not much wrong with my arms- esp in this respect!
Initially I thought these were definitely 40-50g lighter than the d2k, but then toned it down to a 30-40g as a guess

(3) AKG K550: ~325g         

Official weight 305g
I did hold the cable up with my hands as before, but yea it's okay- not far off the manufacturer's weight. More importantly it's more which is what you should expect. Remove the cable completely and it'll come closer to the official weight. Before this informal test i have to say that on my head the k550 felt of a very similar weight to the d7k!
Confirmed.

Oh, and as my only real point of joining this d7k discussion is about comfort:

(4) GUESS WHO?

The top headband is slightly less padded and less arched/steeper than the bottom one. Well it is anyway, it's just my camera's rubbish so it can't show this in any detail.

No prizes for guessing that the bottom headband belongs to the denon d7000

Conclusion
1) Please don't take this stuff very harshly. Im not seeking to catch out denon here. OR put in a real complaint and a fuss. To me it's a pathetic failing from denon- can't get your specs wildly wrong like this. Pathetic. I would have easily have bought these d7k LONG LONG ago if i knew they were this much lighter than the d2k's. Again, both headphones bought at brand new standard from peter tyson uk, no duds, yet look at the results. Overall, It's just something that interested me and I though was worth pointing out- especially given that all the literature hiterto missed it out (as far as i'm aware).  

2) My Accuracy. Well these scales are working fine. There a solid brand for  kitchen scales- no cheap junk. I measured each a few times and the result you see is what come up in all trials. I'm not 10's of thousands of feet above sea level where such an altitude would construe these weight measurements. Plus, I've weighed them decently as far as I know. No reason to cheat for any reason...

3) The products accuracy. This is actually the most interesting point. Before I put this in the microwave (no not my headphones) I, errrr, weighed them

The packet clearly says 250g. Unfortunately, uncle ben isn't that generous to give us 9g extra of rice. Instead that's probably the weight of the quite thick plastic wrap. Clearly these guys would damage their business if they really deviated from this 250g limit (price remains constant); either that customers complain they're getting ripped off a few grains or for some reason uncle ben is always in a giving mood to the dismay of his accountant.

The point is that these guys have a reason to stick to the advertised weight. So why do these headphone manufacturers think differently. I say this assuming this way of measuring is true. I study maths so i guess a 'non-professional mathematician' is what my title would be, so precision in stuff like this i obviously take a slight interest in. Why are uncle bens rice packets so precise (i've measured 7/8 of them- all around 259g, 260g yet the headphones so WILDLY not. I know headphone engineers, being engineers, wouldn't care too much about accuracy of figures, but this can't be their handywork. 

4) Why is the d2k heavier than the d7k by 50g??
Lets break this down.

- I can't see much wrong at all with my measurements. I'm (most likely) not in error.
-The denon's i've got are not duds/fakes. Again most likely. They sound and look in perfect accordance to reviews here
-The d2k's and the k550's seem to be 20g over their official weight. Maybe if you completely remove the cable completely then both do drop a further 10g say bringing them consummately close to their target weight. So most likely no problem here. Both cans weigh as much as they should
- WHAT I THINK; then the denon d7k must of went through a change. They must have revised it somewhere and not put updated specs of it online. I've read a few times here that they may have changed the headband (making it more narrow I think) which could have induced this change of mass. Therefore the fact that the d7k is wooden compared to the solid 'plastic' d2k doesn't mean it should weiigh more
-OR headphones come of the production line weighing wildly different each time. I can't imagine that's the case, but it might me. 

Anyway, I think i've made my point. I used to give up on the d2k's after a few hours because of their excessive weight. These however are perfect. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #108 of 257
Fantastic little experiment there! It's interesting to see that the deviation from the official numbers. And I'm surprised the D7k's headband is more plush, not that that's a bad thing :D
I do have one question, since you own both. Do you feel any noticeable differences between the pleather on the D2k's, and the pleather of the D7k's? I'm wondering if they use the same material or not.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #109 of 257
Hahah nice stuff CantScareMe, however I believe the exams are calling! Back to the pleather debate, is it because of Tyll's article we are all assuming its pleather? I think we should make a call to Denon and ask them.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #111 of 257
The exams are definitely calling!!! lol

I can't really see a difference between the pads of the two headphones, only that one has been worn more than the other. The padding is slightly more plusher on the headband and this is noticable from both headphones in brand new condition. I've always felt buggered with the d2k's heaband so it was a noticable difference when i got these. 

Yea, has anyone asked denon if the pads are actual leather or not? good point actually
Tyll dismanteled them to show some foam inside which is how i feel they still are made as. I asked denon/peter tyson about the d2k being leather or not, and they replied that their website contained misleading information in this regard, but that was a year ago.

Shamrocks d7k's weigh about the same as mine. Good to know mine isn't an anomilie. I remember having the d5k but I never really used it and so got rid of it fast- my memory is not that fresh.

p.s in case you ever wonder- that rice packet's packaging actually weighed 8 grams! Precision from uncle ben.  

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #113 of 257

Quote:
p.s in case you ever wonder- that rice packet's packaging actually weighed 8 grams! Precision from uncle ben.  

As soon as i saw the picture - i said:
Uncle ben's rice :D!

haha! GREAT comparison BTW!
Loved reading, and laughing at ur jokes every now and then!

I find this VERY useful personally - helps people understand the headband difference, weight, and comfort issues

I personally find the D2K's quite on the heavy side.

I'm just really interested to know what actually makes them so much heavier...
It can't be the driver - as the D5k and d7k, as said by another poster are near enough the same weight.

So...it might lie in the headband, or the obvious, cups.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me where the best place to buy the d7000's are online? What would be a good deal from an authorized dealer? Any specials going on?
Thanks!

Electronic Expo, in the US had an open box deal for $550...u might see some n here, on the forums.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #114 of 257
Lol! thanks,

I'm glad you found it useful- I thought most people might not care and it's just my OCD at work. 

Ever written with parker jotter ballpoint pens? Out of the very many of my main pens, two are parker jotters. One has the standard black plastic finish to the barrel and the other is of a stainless steel finish. Even though both are exactly the same shape from bottom to top, inside to outside, I find one easily more comfortable to write with than the other. Yep you guessed it- the plastic barreled one simply as i find it distinctly lighter. 3 grams lighter in fact!

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #116 of 257

Quote:
Ever written with parker jotter ballpoint pens? Out of the very many of my main pens, two are parker jotters. One has the standard black plastic finish to the barrel and the other is of a stainless steel finish. Even though both are exactly the same shape from bottom to top, inside to outside, I find one easily more comfortable to write with than the other. Yep you guessed it- the plastic barreled one simply as i find it distinctly lighter. 3 grams lighter in fact!

my my, you are a sensitive one tommy.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #120 of 257
Ahhhhh

I knew I'd heard that before!! Snatch has to be one of my all time favourites. That's turkish (statham) saying that to his dumb 'ladylike' mate.

Them three amature robbers are awesome- what's his name, tyrone the get away driver. Complete Jokes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back