Denon D7000 headband replacement
Aug 29, 2018 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Darkblade48

100+ Head-Fier
This is probably a long shot, since it's a discontinued product, but my D7000 headband padding is showing its age with the pleather cracking.

Googling for information, I found that the Fostex TH900 headband should work, since the older Denon headphones were just OEM products from Fostex.

Doing some more search, I found that Full Compass sells the headband padding, but when I e-mailed them, they do not ship internationally and even if I found a mail forwarder, only accept payment via U.S. credit cards, U.S. PayPal accounts, and bank wire transfers.

Does anyone know of an alternative supplier?

Also, when I e-mailed Full Compass, they were not able to provide installation/repair instructions; to my knowledge the headband pad is glued to the headband, so how would one go about replacing it?

Aug 11, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Hey DB, were you ever able to source a solution? My d7000 headband pin just broke, and I'm a little attached since I self modded it

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 12
Cheers bro. Enjoy your vacation.

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 12
Hey DB, were you ever able to source a solution? My d7000 headband pin just broke, and I'm a little attached since I self modded it
So my original thread was for the headband padding (pleather padding) for the band. It seems that the Fostex TH900 headband does work, so I ordered a couple from Jam Industries (I'm in Canada, so that's who I went with).

However, it seems like you're asking about the fragile pin that holds the swiveling ear cups. This is the BISS 2 screw, with part number 9H3419100380D. Unfortunately, all the sites that I looked at no longer carry this part alone. I managed to snag the entire hanger assembly from another site (Encompass, with part number 9H3449000280D). This includes the BISS 2 screw, but is quite pricey, considering you probably won't need the other parts.

Since I have the BISS 2 screw in my possession, I also took it upon me to model it in CAD (https://imgur.com/a/Sbx17VX). I was going to prototype it on my (3D) printer, but haven't had the time to do so yet (also, I'd ideally have it done on a resin printer, just to get the tolerances correct, before sending it off to a machinist to make a few for myself).

A work in progress, a work in progress :)

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 12
Figures a fellow Canuck would go to such incredible and detailed lengths to work out a solution. It also gives me hope at solutions. I happen to have a friend with a 3d printer in resin, so I'll try this in the future and update. As it turns out my headband is in need of replacement, so your thread response is highly helpful!

Cheers for everything, I will update as I progress.

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #7 of 12
If you need the Solidworks file, do let me know! I haven't prototyped it yet, but the measurements are to the best that I could measure with my calipers. You'll need a tap as well, to make the threads (those are only cosmetically in the model, at this point in time, since it doesn't make sense to try to print them out (though it might work with a resin printer, since you can achieve the necessary resolution).

For the headband, the source I mentioned above should work. I haven't gotten around to changing the pleather yet, but it's starting to flake a bit more, and it's annoying to see bits of pleather when I comb my hair :D Perhaps next weekend, when I have some time.

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 12
We'll I'm balding, do I just buff with a towel!

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks DB!

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm dusting off this ancient thread to add some info. I was able to successfully replace the headband pad on my Denon AH-D-series headphones with the leather ZMF Crescent Strap. (See photos below.) To be clear, this is just replacing the headband pad, not any of the other headband pieces. As such, it required some dexterous disassembly and reassembly of the existing headband parts (so it's not for the faint of heart) to slide off the old pad and slide on the new pad. In addition to being more durable leather compared to the original flaking pleather, the ZMF pad's crescent-shaped cushioning is much more comfortable than the stock Denon headband pad.

Also relevant to discussion in this thread, one of the screws that hold the yoke to the swiveling hinge piece had fallen out. This is the screw that comes up from inside the yoke into the bottom of the BISS 2 piece. I replaced the ridiculously short original screw with a M2x4 socket-headed screw (which uses a little 1.5mm allen wrench). It's the same thread size as the original, so no tapping needed, and the socket head allows you to tighten it more securely than the tiny phillips head. Seems way more secure than the original screw. The picture below shows the original screw (left) and M2x4 screw (right).

Attachments

• DenonZMF1.jpg
    DenonZMF1.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DenonZMF2.jpg
    DenonZMF2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DenonM2screw.jpg
    DenonM2screw.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread