Denon D5000 VS. D7000
Mar 1, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #76 of 90

Quote:
True for me as well... except for one thing. The MarkL mods ruined the D5k for me. I agree that they are too boomy, so I tried to MarkL them into submission... it made the bass less, but took away the richness and they became nasal and strident.
The D7k is perfect to my ears. They are rich and musical, they are acoustic and sonorous. They have the highs and detail as well as the impact of a live performance. They are truly lovely for all acoustic music.

Want so bad... tax return here I come : )

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #78 of 90
Quote:
For me the D7000s simply never had the clarity or resolution to do justice to classical especially in comparison to the T1s and even AKG 702s. The bass just spreads into everything and doesn't give you the airy/layered sound I need to enjoy classical.

Exactly. They're a wonderful closed phone with phenomenal bass but they can't be expected to do everything; bass-heavy genres, Yes. Delicate stringed instruments and accurate percussion, No.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #79 of 90

I respectfully disagree. To my ears, the Denon are just as details as the DT880, the treble is also smoother, and the mids are richer. The DT880's are more neutral though, and has better sound stage, resolution is excellent, they're unique and excellent in their own way, but I prefer the smoothness and lushness of the Denon more.

I need to note that although the Denon sounds great with classical, I still prefer the Q701 over them. That massive sound stage is well, massive!
Quote:
Exactly. They're a wonderful closed phone with phenomenal bass but they can't be expected to do everything; bass-heavy genres, Yes. Delicate stringed instruments and accurate percussion, No.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #80 of 90
The D7Ks were my favorites before I settled on Aud. LCD2Rev2s and LCD3s. 
The Denons are much more musical than HD800s, T1s, 650s, 702s, and more.
Worked nicely with a Rudistor rp010B.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #81 of 90
I respectfully disagree. To my ears, the Denon are just as details as the DT880, the treble is also smoother, and the mids are richer. The DT880's are more neutral though, and has better sound stage, resolution is excellent, they're unique and excellent in their own way, but I prefer the smoothness and lushness of the Denon more.

I need to note that although the Denon sounds great with classical, I still prefer the Q701 over them. That massive sound stage is well, massive!

Yeah, I have to say, my Q701s are my second favorite cans, they just seem to do so many things right and they're almost perfect with my McIntosh. Together they produce layers and layers of clear yet smooth sound.

May 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #82 of 90
No offence if I'm seen as deviating from the thread's topic but I would like to ask the Dx000 owners whether you experience any loosening of the headband screw which attaches the ear pad to the headband?

Read that it is a common problem on head-fi, though you maybe able to diy the problem yourself.

Only thing is I'm thinking of buying from a US dealer but I'm in Singapore, reason being the D7000 retails for over a thousand USD over here~!
And if anything go wrong, I'd have to ship back to US to get the warranty.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #83 of 90
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/headphones_consumer.shtml the th600 is actually a REALLY strong contender if you really are serious about wanting a D2000 but nicer, cuz, well, that's what it is. Also worth checking out is the ortho headphones http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/RP-Series.shtml

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #84 of 90
Yes, I experienced it, and had to tap out that screw and replace it with a CD-ROM screw (440 fine)

I'd actually strongly recommend doing that BEFORE it ****s up if you can at all help it, just because if you can do it without having that piece all come apart, saves a LOT of hassle

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #87 of 90
Gosh. I've never gotten to sit down with them side by side, but having listened, I'd have to say I feel like the denon has more "euphony", that hard-to-nail-down "musical" quality, comparable detail, better sub extension, soundstage/separation... errrrr... hmm. I feel like the separation on the t5p is better with a larger, but slightly artificial-feeling soundstage.

I feel like you'd get better answers from someone who A-B'd them directly though, instead of comparing apples to grapefruits to oranges like I did. That being said, I'm a huge fan of both denon and beyer. :)

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #88 of 90
This is a very old thread now. I bought my D5K 4 years ago on a deal (got them for 380 from elec expo back when they carried Denon headphones). Ever since I have looked back at the D7K wondering if I had made the right choice. My preferred sound signature changed over the years and now I prefer more refined sound with good treble and mids over bass. I see that they now go for 1K USD at least. I can't justify spending a thousand bucks on a pair of used headphones (I just saw one that is mint however, probably as mint as mine). Mine has gotten less than 20 hours so far in use. No forced burn-in. Wanted to do this right and burn-in patiently through use but with my use being limited to just 1-2 hours at months at a time... well, it's a long road ahead. But man... I just keep looking back and wish I had gotten the new pair of D7K when I had the chance! 

Oh well, stuck with my D5K now cause of the price difference. Can anyone here honestly say that they'd be willing to buy the D7K for a grand? There must be many better options out there now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back