Denon D5000 VS. D7000
Jan 3, 2009 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

Feather225

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I know this topic was probably discussed ever since August, but I really couldn't find that thread anymore...

I recently ordered a Denon D7000, but I just want to know what are the differences between the 2 headphones.

I can tell the cosmetic differences that the Denon D7000 is more of a luxury looking with a fancy box...also a different cable?...

But what I really wanna know is if the driver or anything inside is different, which as a result improves SQ or something...

please any comments will be useful ^ ^

Thank you very much.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 90
My denon d7k is finally coming on monday...

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 90
^^ cool.. do post pics and first impressions.

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 90
According to frequency response graphs available at the HeadRoom, the D2000 would seem to have even better/extended frequency response at low and high hz than the 7000 and it uses the same driver as the D5000! So why isn't everyone buying the D2000 for $250?!

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 90
Probably because frequency responce graphs don't tell you how a headphone sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

I just bought the D2000 and couldn't be happier btw.

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by djayjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to frequency response graphs available at the HeadRoom, the D2000 would seem to have even better/extended frequency response at low and high hz than the 7000 and it uses the same driver as the D5000! So why isn't everyone buying the D2000 for $250?!

D2000/5000/7000 are similar products, but D7000 is generally recognized as superior than its lil brothers by a small margin in terms of Sound Quality, I didn't see the graph...but frequency is not the only thing you should consider though. Plus D7000 is a piece of art, not only an equipment, Denon trys to make them luxury, and thats definately one of their sales point.

Plus D7000 have a better driver material and better wire than D5000/2000, I bought D7000 mainly because it is Denon's top of line headphone and I love Denon headphones through out, not the IEMs though. Plus I really like the luxury look it has, totally knock off D5000/2000 IMO...

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was searching for this information as well as I'm interested in the new flagship model... Unfortunately this report is not so kind!

Denon D7000 Deconstructed

Don't bother too much about what Markl says, he's trying to sell his mods to the Denon crowd. So far I have seen nothing but positive reviews for the D7000, and most of them are happy with the D7000, it seems to be a match for the Edition 9.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 90
I've been burning my D7000s in for several days now...probably on 60 hrs total...and since I replaced a set of D5000s with these, maybe I can comment with some authority.

The D5000 has, to my ears, a hump in the upper bass that makes a lot of my rock and funk sound *really* good. It also had a slight rolloff in the highs that I personally like. I am not big on "ear bleeder" headphones with ultimate extension up there, so consider that bias on my part. The downside of that bass hump is that, sometimes, I had that repeatedly-punched-in-the-ears feeling after taking off my cans. It was too much of a good thing on some music (even rock and funk), and got more noticeable as time went on. In addition to that, the low end extension is very muddy. Some people say "slightly"; I say "very". You only really noticed on music with a lot of complex bass, but I noticed and it is my major problem with this headphone. Mids were fantastic...bar none, great mids.

Okay, now to the D7000. Upper bass hump is GONE...yet I kinda miss it.
L3000.gif
. I wish a slight, slight emphasis there remained, but I can't detect that at all. Highs are definitely not rolled off. Not harsh like the K701 or a Grado set, but right on the edge of too much. I am normally pretty skeptical of burn-in radically changing a headphone, but in this case I think time will smooth out the highs to where I appreciate the extra extension. But, at this point, I prefer the D5000 highs. Low end mud is history. I'm not sure if it goes any lower than the D5000, but it doesn't "woooom" down there like the D5000 did at times. (that's a technical term, heh) Mids are similiarly sweet like the D5000, but I think I like the D5000 mids a little more. (might be due to the extra upper bass thickness)

And Denon...can you PLEASE shorten the fricking cable? I can booby-trap the opening to my office with it and still have plenty of length between my head and my amp left over. Sheesh.

Bottom line...the D7000 isn't worth anywhere near twice the price of the D5000. It's probably the more accurate headphone, but the D5000 is just fun. Even if it did sound like an '80s boombox at times.
biggrin.gif
Pay yer $450 and be done with it, I say. Very nice.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Denon...can you PLEASE shorten the fricking cable? I can booby-trap the opening to my office with it and still have plenty of length between my head and my amp left over. Sheesh.

Haha, that people, is a good joke
biggrin.gif
!!!!

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 90
Best part of the D5000 is you can mod it to reduce the mid-bass hump to your taste. Much harder to add than remove when it comes to sound.

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bottom line...the D7000 isn't worth anywhere near twice the price of the D5000. It's probably the more accurate headphone, but the D5000 is just fun. Even if it did sound like an '80s boombox at times.
biggrin.gif
Pay yer $450 and be done with it, I say. Very nice.

Whats worth it and whats not varies from person to person, and I didn't actually paid retail price for the D7k, it was 600 from JR when they had that promotion~so yeah~it worth every penny ^ ^
D7k is certainly by far the best headphone I have ever heard~(Source: Duet) never tried D5k, but I am definitely not a bass head, and I only need the bass to be accurate and smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back