Denon D5000, D7000 comments
May 20, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #76 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subtle_Garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Untitled-1-1.jpg

I Agree! and will bow out.

Well stated!

May 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #77 of 159
My MD5000s never sounded better than with the Solo SRG - rich, warm, weighty, with controlled bass, strong mids and smooth highs - especially, during the first few hours after its powered up (though well burnt in). Though, the combo becomes a bit brighter after its been powered on overnight.

They sound great with the X-CAN v8... but... even better with the Solo SRG!

May 21, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #79 of 159
Agree 100% with Gradofan2. Stock D5000's & Solo SRG is an awesome combination. Couldn't be happier, and i haven't tried Markl mods yet!!

May 21, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #80 of 159
Quote:

My MD5000s never sounded better than with the Solo SRG - rich, warm, weighty, with controlled bass, strong mids and smooth highs - especially, during the first few hours after its powered up (though well burnt in). Though, the combo becomes a bit brighter after its been powered on overnight.

They sound great with the X-CAN v8... but... even better with the Solo SRG!

But..but... you insisted that the X-Cans was the absolute best amp for the Denons EVAR, over and over.
frown.gif
This was a fact not to be questioned. We told you otherwise, but you insisted you were the expert. We said you were a relative newb with limited experience and a new toy but yet you spoke with such authority...
confused.gif
And now you throw the X-Cans under the bus?

So, an all solid-state amp sounds better than a tube amp with the Denons? I'm shocked!
wink.gif
Who'd've thunk?

Just wait until you try a true high-end solid state amp with the Denons. There is more room yet for improvement.

May 21, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #81 of 159
Markl is right, Just because of their impedance the Denon are a better match to a solid state amplifier and as Markl also said... wait to try them with a high end solid state amplifier. I am running a D7000 re-terminated to balanced and a woodied D2000 re-cabled with APS V2 in balanced with a Rudistor RP010B MkII and they have never sounded better.

The D7000 balanced are currently my favorite ones over the single ended DX1000 and Edition 9. If I change those to balance the story might change but that's to be seen.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #82 of 159
hey markl speaking of high end amp what are you using. i wonder who would these babies pair with highend amp like the m3(2nd best ss diy amp from what ive read) and the b22/b24(the absolute best in ss diy amp). one question, wont these amps be over kills since a b22 is designed to even power small speakers and the denons only require so little. 25 ohms i believe.

thanks.

thanks

May 22, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #83 of 159
Hi lutwey,
Well, I'm sort of a bad example, in that I'm way out on the other end. I use the Rudistor RP010B in balanced mode. No, it's not necessary to go to those kind of lengths to make the Denons shine (but it doesn't hurt
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Also, even though I've personally gone balanced with my Denons, you are better off with a better single-ended amp than an average balanced amp. There is a difference between balanced and SE with the Denons, but I'd worry first about getting a decent amp for them, rather than whether it's balanced or SE.

May 22, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #85 of 159
Just to be clear, FWIW, I would like to clarify my previous comments. I don't doubt for a second that the Slee amp works very well with the Denons. I also expect it will whomp the X-Cans back into yesterday (but based on what I've heard of that amp *in previous incarnations*, that's not necessarily that hard to do).

Everything I've read about Slee's amps has been mostly positive though I haven't heard them myself (unlike the X-Cans), and as I always try to tell my customers, proper and full power is crucial for the Denons, and that means beware of tube amps (as a general rule, your favorite tube amp may not qualify, offer not valid in Alabama, or parts of coastal Oregon
wink.gif
).

May 22, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #86 of 159
lutwey,
There's always two factors at work with any amp.

1. Does it have sufficient power along the right dimensions to fully drive my particular headphone?

2. What is the *quality* of that power from the amp driving my headphone?

I haven't tried every amp under the sun. Do I think there are other amps out there than Rudistors that will do the Denons justice. Absolutely!
L3000.gif

May 22, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #88 of 159
I've only ever heard the Denons sound somewhat strange once and that was when I was using an amp with a very high impedance headphone jack. This drastically adjusted the frequency response.

The Denons really sound great plugged into just about anything with a low impedance headphone jack!

May 24, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #89 of 159
That all sounds pretty interesting. Got any pictures?

Do keep us updated.

May 24, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #90 of 159
IPod{J, can you post some pictures of the mod you are talking about? It helps to see the visuals and relate to it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back