Denon D2000 Vs HifiMan HE-400
Jan 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

e2pathos

Head-Fier
Yes I realize that the HE-400s are not out yet and there have been very very limited reviews on them, so work with me as best as you can.

I have currently owned my ATH-M50s for about 1 year and 3 months now and I am looking to upgrade. I really like what I have read about the D2000s, but things look very promising for the HE-400s.

Can anybody tell me what kinda difference I would get from these two? The HE-400s are planar magnetic and I have absolutely no idea what kinda difference that kinda build produces from a regular dynamic set of cans. As far as what I know about the sounds, both have a really nice bass quality but a few people have said the bass in the D2ks are a tad overpowering sometimes, I am a bass head though and those people who said that might just be a little bass shy. I read that the bass in the HE-400s is really nice and warm and tight and does it's job perfectly.

I also care a lot about the other spectrum of sounds though, I really like the balance of soundstage in the M50s how everything seems to sit just right where it is supposed to be.

I don't care about isolation as these will be home headphones, and I will be purchasing an E7/E9 combo shortly after as both of these are easy to drive and those should suffice.

Genre of music is as follows: dubstep (not skillex style bull, but like real dubstep mostly (subwoofer heavy, nice and clean and smooth type of bass.) alternative, downtempo, a large variety of electronica, general type rock (for me this means like system of a down etc...) some indie type (rock) (minus the bear, animal collective, etc...)

Really I just would like to know what kinda difference in overall quality these two would have as one is a dynamic and one is an orthodynamic or planar magnetic.

Hope somebody has some insight! Lemme know if you have any questions

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuFSWcNe8hY

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 6
I have not read any of the reviews of the HE400, but unless they make a big mention of sub-bass frequency presence, I would assume any of the 3 denon headphones (d2000/5000/7000) would have it beat in that area, especially for dubstep (assuming you're talking like Skream, Burial, etc). I don't know what amplification the HE400 needs, either, but the D2000 can be run right out of an iPod without any issues. Sure it benefits from the clarity of a nice DAC, and amplification never really hurts, but it doesn't need anything special to bring it out of its cage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back