Denon D2000 + Vacuum = bad.
Oct 18, 2009 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

legcramp

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey there guys, I had a little incident today while vacuuming my room. Yes you guessed it, I was careless and the vacuum sucked half the cable of my D2000 and almost ripped the cable apart.

Anyways, it still works and everything, but I think it's time to replace the cable.

What do you guys think are my option, and my wallet is not very deep.

The original cable is not exactly the most comfortable thing out there, it tangles and gets very messy sometimes. I can live with getting another one ( anyone know where? ) if it keeps the cost down.

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 16
no. carelessness + vacuum= bad.

On topic though, people usually go for the D5000 cable. I personally didn't own Denons though. There are many advices regarding cabling and how to spend money wisely for this particular tweak... and a lot of controversy.

I myself would consider recabling only to fix issues similar to yours- physical ones like cable tangling or weight. My ESW9 cable on ES7 fixed this. Don't know about D5000 cable on D2000, though.

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 16
When i recabled my d2000's i bought a d5000 cable off the forums here. I think it helped the sound a lot; the bass was a little tighter and the details were brought out a little more. That being said, have you markl modded your headphones? I think it really helped improve the headphone; it helped control the bass, gave it more punch. This kept it from leaking into the mids and highs, which helped bring the mids and highs forward. Also the d5000 cable is much better than the old d2000 cable. Since the d5000 cable is thicker and sturdier it is less prone to tangling.

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 16
You've only damaged the fancy cotton covering of the cables. I'll bet it looks ugly though.

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 16
You could always try buying some wire like canare or mogami and recabling it. Definitely wont hurt the sound and it will probably look a lot nicer than a cable that looks like it got hit with a weed whacker.
smile.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #6 of 16
Do you guys have any suggestions on specific parts / lengths that I should get if I go the DIY route?

Getting a D5000 cable off the for sale forum would be great, but I am not sure how long it would take for someone to have one.

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 16
Lawton Audio sells the D5000 cables he removes from his upgraded ones.

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 16
Same thing happened to my AKG K271s, The vaccum complete shred the cable apart, then storng rubber bunning smell. So I had to buy a aftermarket cable for it, which ends up the best thing happened to my K271s. The new cable took the headphone to another level.

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys have any suggestions on specific parts / lengths that I should get if I go the DIY route?

Getting a D5000 cable off the for sale forum would be great, but I am not sure how long it would take for someone to have one.

If you decide to build/install your own: Mogami is a great bang for the buck wire. I'd use a Neutrik 1/4 plug, but if you use your cans on a mini jack most often, go with that size plug. As far as length, I personally don't want anything less that 8' on home pones, 10' is best. I have passed on lots of custom Sennheiser cables because I couldn't live with only 6' of cable.

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 16
I´ll do the same sin right now, but wow, how usefull post. xD

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 16
Iv'e been using 'vacuumed' K701s for almost two years now, and they sound fine. A wee bit of electrical tape to replace the destroyed outer layer of cable and all is well.

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 16
Unless you plan on upgrading the cable or changing from all copper to silver plated copper,(will make it a lttle brighter) I would just tape what you have and move on. I've had the 2K,and 5k cables apart for balancing and they are identical in every way. The 7K cable is an upgrade but not by much. My current pair of 2K's have a hand built OFC cable made from wire from an eBay seller named navships. So if you plan on any DIY check it out.

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #15 of 16
@Boomy
The new d2000 cable is identical to the d5000 cable. The old one was a thin tangly POC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back