Denon D2000 or Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm
Feb 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Capt Snow

New Head-Fier
Since I can't find any comparisons on these 2 headphones, I'd figured I might as well just ask.

In my country there's a litmited offer on the (discontinued) D2000's and I was previously looking at the Beyer DT880 and I would've coupled them with an e9k . Now I'm doubting wich to get.

The headphones will be used for prettey much anything, a wide variety of music, gaming and movies. So I'm looking for a good neutral/all-round headphone, yet still fun sounding.

The price on the D2000 is € 300,-
The price on the DT880 is € 249,-
The price on an E9K is € 119,-

So it will either be the D2000 for 300 or the DT880 + E9k for 368.

Wich would be the better value if I want a good, all-round yet fun sounding headphone?

BTW: First time post, so be easy on me.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 12
Heya,

Both are excellent. The Denon will run without an amplifier. So it would ultimately be less costly. The DT880 would need the amplifier.

Quick summary to compare:

Denon D2000: Bright, warm neutral, incredible extension into sub-bass, flat to the bottom, very authoritative with sub-bass. Plush very comfortable pads. The design is semi-open, it has a vent/port around the cup. This gives it a very good sound stage. It has limited isolation because of this. More of a fun `audiophile's bass' headphone. Overall build is good, but you do have to care for it as it is easy to scratch and easy to break joints on it.

Beyer DT880: Bright, warm neutral. Good extension into bass. A little on the analytical side, not quite a fun/musical headphone for someone wanting more warmth. Great mids. Semi-open design, but more open than not. No isolation provided. But it has a great sound stage. Pads are velour and very comfortable. Overall build is very durable, nothing is pinned in place, it's very solid and is brushed metal, doesn't scratch easy.

Very best,

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
...Wich would be the better value if I want a good, all-round yet fun sounding headphone?

I think both of these cans provide excellent value for an all-rounder headphone. it just comes down to which sound signature you would prefer. The Denons will have more sub-bass, while the Beyers sound more neutral. I might prefer the Beyers for music, and the Denons for movies - but they both are good choices.

I'm a big fan of the Denon's as they sound really fun. As well, since they are discontinued, you might have trouble finding them in the future. I'd recommend these (for my personal tastes) but you really can't go wrong with either.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 12
I would recommend the O2 for the DT880s instead of the E09K, I had a Fiio E9 with the DT880s I own, now I have the M-Stage from Matrix and it gives them more vitality. These headphones arent power hungry, but a bit of it gives them vitality.

I own the DTs as I said, and I tried the Denons very well, a friend owns them, and for what you do, I would say go for the DTs, they are very neutral, fit with everything, they are bass light, but sometimes the bass surprises you if the recording or film has bass. Love the treble representation with pop, rock, heavy, electronica, etc. and the mids are awesome.

The Denons are bass heavy, like a headphone with a built in subwofer, but dont get me wrong, the bass is very well placed. But it lacks mids, so they arent so good for everything. They are pretty enjoyable tho. I also would say that the beyers have more impact, the bass quantity on the Denons is way more, but the impact on the beyers for me is stronger.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 12
Sorry for bumping this thread but,

I was looking at the Little Dot MKIII to pair it with the DT880 600 ohm but people said it wouldn't be a good pairing.

What would be a good amp for ~200 dollar for the DT880 600 ohm?

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 12
The D2000 get my vote for greater versatility, fun and ultimate "musical enjoyment".  

To me, the DT880/2003 version was the best product that Beyerdynamic marketed in this class, although I did own and enjoy the DT880/600.  

But for your specifications, I would still recommend the D2000--even over the DT880/2003.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 12
As someone that used to own both sets of headphones (sold the DT880 600 ohm), for the most part I agree with MalVeauX's comparison of the two. I personally vote for the D2000 for musical enjoyment and comfort. Don't get me wrong, the DT880's were very comfortable but imo the D2000 edged it out just slightly. The pressure of the DT880's head band was just too uncomfortable for me. Even with the recessed mids, the D2000 is just too enjoyable and fun sounding. I haven't ever looked back after selling my DT880.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
As someone that used to own both sets of headphones (sold the DT880 600 ohm), for the most part I agree with MalVeauX's comparison of the two. I personally vote for the D2000 for musical enjoyment and comfort. Don't get me wrong, the DT880's were very comfortable but imo the D2000 edged it out just slightly. The pressure of the DT880's head band was just too uncomfortable for me. Even with the recessed mids, the D2000 is just too enjoyable and fun sounding. I haven't ever looked back after selling my DT880.

I agree. The D2000 is more fun to listen to. I sold my DT880s to a friend who uses them to record his own music, I think they are more suited to that. That being said the DT880 was my first step into the higher end and I enjoyed it for a couple of years before moving on. The thing about them for me was that they are too analytical so you end up listening to all the imperfections if a song is not mastered just right or if the file your playing back is not of the best quality. I am currently selling a Travagans white DAC/amp which pairs very well with the D2000 BTW. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back