Denon D2000 no amp?
Jun 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheThrane

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!
i know there has already been a lot of talking about the D2000 but just got a question regarding the need of an amp. I'm thinking of buying the D2000 but can't afford an amp (might buy one in the future). But my consern is if they can play high enough played by an ipod? I know that the sound will not be as good as it can be, but still, i mean, it's a high end pair of cans so i assume that it's sounds is very good even though. Am i right in that, and will it be able to play high enough and without sucking the life out of my ipod way to quick?

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 13
Volume wise they are not hard to power at all.  They're of low impedence and average sensitivity so no need to worry about not getting enough volume (assuming that you listen at safe volumes, hopefully).  However, a good amp helps the sound of the cans to be more controlled and tight.  Out of an iPod I do not like my D2000 as it simply sounds too flabby and loose for my liking.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 13
You risk having really muddy bass, and plus they're kind of big and clumsy if you want to use them on the go. Might as well get a pair of efficient headphones instead and buy a good system when you have the money.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 13
I agree with the above posts and highly recommend an amp with the Denons other wise they are very boomy. They are still listenable but the sound quality isn't that great. The improvement with an amp/dac is rather startling to be honest. If you need other suggestions for a pair of cans let us know.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 13
How about the AKG K271 or the Denon D1001 then? I was just thinking that buying the D2000 would give me better sound than the cheaper models (for example D1001) regardless of the lack of an amp. If i should buy one, what could you recommend then, at a fair price?

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 13
As has been said above, the D2000's are easily driven without an amp, but will improve with one. I actually have no issue with the way my D5k's sound with just my iPod (lossless files only).

If you want better isolation (as the D2k's will provide almost none), you may want to save some money and try the M50. Very good bass and highs, with slightly recessed mids. You also might find their bass less 'boomy' than the un-modded Denon.

shane

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 13
Shane55@ the ATH-M50 actually looks really nice, and as i can see they are cheaper than the D2000. You know how they compare to the D2000, as i can see you have the D5000 and the ATH-M50. And how about playing them without an amp? And another question: what about the burn-in time?

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Shane55@ the ATH-M50 actually looks really nice, and as i can see they are cheaper than the D2000. You know how they compare to the D2000, as i can see you have the D5000 and the ATH-M50. And how about playing them without an amp? And another question: what about the burn-in time?

The M50's are more easily powered than the D2000 / D5000 (same driver, different housing), though not by much. All cans that I've owned have improved (or certainly changed) with burn in. For me the M50 improved slightly as the highs became less raspy and the bass seemed to tighten (it could all be psychoacoustics).

I have not had an un-modded D2000, so I couldn't tell you first hand how they compare. Compared to the D5000, the M50 seem to have slightly less exaggerated bass but slightly more recessed mids. The highs are also less detailed on the M50. But heck... they're about 1/6 the price.

Remember if you're looking for noise isolation, the M50 kicks the Denon's.

shane

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 13
not only is the amp important but also the dac. these babies are very dependent on clean source and a poor dac will make it very sibilant

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #11 of 13
here's my experience on the d2000's with no amp

on my computer with RT-HD ALC889, the volume is super soft. max volume is about a tad less than normal listening volume

so i plugged it in my old HT receiver and they sprung to life. i'm actually content with how they sound with my receiver, but they're just a meter short of my seat in front of my PC =(

i guess i'll have to get a headphone amp now. can't believe the sound card is too weak to even drive the D2000's at normal volumes.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 13
How does D2000 do with tube amps? I've heard it becomes muddy and problematic since tubes generally perform better with higher impedance headphones. However, I'm curious in trying something 'warmer' Also, I just like the look of tube amps with exposed tubes :)

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
How does D2000 do with tube amps? I've heard it becomes muddy and problematic since tubes generally perform better with higher impedance headphones. However, I'm curious in trying something 'warmer' Also, I just like the look of tube amps with exposed tubes :)

You may want to try out a hybrid tube amp, which has a solid state buffer which lowers the output impedance.  I use a Millett Hybrid MiniMAX sometimes with my d2000s and it sounds great.  I love the bass!
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back