Denon D2000 Bass is unimpressive
Mar 4, 2012 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

MythNoob

100+ Head-Fier
Had my D2000 for a week now and been running them though a audio-gd 12, not very impressed with the bass. It is nothing like what lots of people describe it to be like, i personally find my M50's to have much better bass. These are great headphones and i like the overall sound signature, just wondering where all the bass that is talked about has gone. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 68
Strange, i find the bass to be really impressive. Maybe this is a source problem? Plug 'em into your fiio e7 or LDMK3 instead of audiogd12, and see what will happen.

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 68
It's been quite a while since I sold my M50, but I don't recall it being that bassy overall. It was perhaps more mid-bassy than the Denon which has more of a sub-bass emphasis. Perhaps OP just prefers mid-bass to sub-bass?

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 68
There are some who say that you will need to break them in for a while to get the final sound signature. That bass will smooth out and be more impactful once you have arrived at that point. For me they were great out of the box. Can you give an example of some song you are listening to and I'll give it a listen also...

thanks

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 68

Quote:
There are some who say that you will need to break them in for a while to get the final sound signature. That bass will smooth out and be more impactful once you have arrived at that point. For me they were great out of the box. Can you give an example of some song you are listening to and I'll give it a listen also...

thanks

Headphone break-in doesn't change the sound signature drastically in most, if not all headphones, no matter what some people say. It is more likely to be a result of the person's brain getting used to the different balance of sound. A more useful question would be what music is being listened to. If the bass beats of the music is more in the mid-bass region, then that might explain what is going on. 
smile.gif

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 68
Bass quantity won't change drastically if at all after burn in. The most likely scenario here is that the OP is looking for a mid bass hump rather than the type of bass Denons produce.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 68

Quote:
Bass quantity won't change drastically if at all after burn in. The most likely scenario here is that the OP is looking for a mid bass hump rather than the type of bass Denons produce.

Mid bass bump should be what the op is looking for, since the D2000 has a very flat bass response. 

May be the op will like grado bass..

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 68
Had my D2000 for a week now and been running them though a audio-gd 12, not very impressed with the bass. It is nothing like what lots of people describe it to be like, i personally find my M50's to have much better bass. These are great headphones and i like the overall sound signature, just wondering where all the bass that is talked about has gone. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 68

Quote:

It seems you like mid-bass humps and consider that bass, instead of the entire bass spectrum from upper/middle/sub bass as a single entity.

Get a PRO900 or M-Audio Q40 and your mid-bass will be maximized.

Very best,

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 68
If you havent done so yet, try listening in a really quiet room, and to something like the Dark Knight sound track (my bass testing tracks). That will really show the sub bass, and maybe it will change your mind :)

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 68
It seems as though you might like raw bass quantity over quality.  The M50s have more quantitive bass than the D2000, but it's not as impactful nor is it as flat.  If you're after more bass quantity, you might want to look into the DT770 80Ω or Ultrasones.

A lot of really low 20hz and under bass that's present in a lot of action movies is damn near impossible to reproduce on headphones, let alone full sized subwoofers.  They're basically non-audiable and only visceral.  At best you can ask a headphone to go down to around 30hz.  The Denons really shine with 30-40hz content.  The M50s will probably seem louder with 50-100hz material, because it simply has more of it. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 68
D2000 has much flatter bass than the M50. Both extend very low, but D2000 does it with more authority. The upper bass on the M50 is not very controlled and bleeds into the midrange even when they are amped, while D2000 doesn't have this problem. Detail resolution in the lows (and in the rest of the spectrum) is much higher on D2000 as well. M50 sounds a lot more "one note." Quantitatively, M50 has slightly excessive bass in my opinion, while D2000 is pretty much neutral. I think the OP is simply used to the somewhat bloated and excessive low end of the M50 and needs time to adjust to the more controlled and accurate bass that the D2000 produces. In absolute terms however, the D2000 bass is still somewhat bloated/uncontrolled compared to great open back cans, like DT880 or HE-500, so it's not reference quality bass either. But still better than what M50 has.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 68
OP, you want boom instead of kick, maybe check out some Sony XB500s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back