Denon C751 vs Westone UM1
Nov 4, 2008 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zweek

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my jvc marshmallows for a something that sounds less muddy but with good base and better sound quality. I have narrowed it down to these 2, the C751 or the UM1. First of all, will I notice a good difference in SQ after listening to my marshmallows? Is a a good jump up? Second, I listen to classical, classic rock, and pop. They are both around the same price, which should I get?

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 8
The C751's SQ wise no doubt.

However if isolation is more important, the UM1 but really, the C751 with some Comply tips (which I do recommend as the default tips SUCK!) offers good enough isolation.

Nothing can really beat the overall sound of the C751's at it's price point. The RE2's are brighter sounding than the C751's but have far less bass.

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 8
I'll give the counter opinion - UM1 are excellent IEMs. They don't get the respect of some of the others - but for a neutral sound, comfort, noise isolation and flexibility (they will take just about any type of tips), they are darn near perfect. I've had mine for 2+ years of daily use.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 8
I was about to post a thread of exactly the same title
biggrin.gif

I've always wanted some westones, but I did think the denon's would sound better, and I can actually get the Denon's (albeit C700's, not 751's) cheaper than the UM1's in the UK, unless you buy from the US.

I do think the UM1's look like bad hearing aids though. That wouldn't really bother me, but people in college will be asking me what they are every five minutes.

Think I'll go for the Denon's then.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 8
UM1 in a heartbeat. Build quality, comfort and durability alone would shift this towards them even if they didn't also sound better than the Denons.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 8
I'd have to say the C751s.

That said, I've not heard the UM1s, but I own and absolutely love the UM2s. I also owned the C751s and I thought that they were excellent for the price.

If you could make the jump to the UM2s though it would be well worth it.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 8
C751 of course. UM1's have warm pleasant sound, but poor highs and lows. I'd say, C751 have more power in low end more sparkle in highs.
I don't think, any single armature drivers headphones in this pricerange (or even slight higher) will match to Denons.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 8
UM1&UM2 they are the most comfortable IEMs. But the sound people who like them say they are the best oppositely people do not like it say them so terrible .Denon C751 is also a good one you'd better go to some place that you can listen both of the them. trust your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back