Denon C710 vs. JVC-Victor FX500
Aug 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #91 of 138
I still need to pick up some of those Koss tips... been meaning to..

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #93 of 138
i still dont think im putting these on right
frown.gif

are they supposed to be facing up or down (as in the wire gauge thing)?

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #94 of 138
Giving this a little nudge.

I was set on the C710 as most reviews here say that it competes well with the FX500 for $50 less. I've been looking around though and it seems the C710 is out EVERYWHERE. Is the FX500 worth the extra $50? Cash is a bit tight seeing as I'm purchasing a new iPod as well.

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #96 of 138
Nov 3, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #98 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just buy another pair of FX500's - glue them together... and hey presto, you have an FX1000
biggrin.gif

So, do you think you'll really buy some???

lol,, but it can be that much better anyway

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #99 of 138
Okay... I haven't read all the way through this thread, but - I will add a random thought...

It all hinges on the source (imo) - I have been using my extended Head-Fi hiatus to finally put this one to bed...

IMO If you have a Sony DAP (so, using the X1000 in my scenario) the midrange lushness of their house sound compliments the JVCs very nicely... Whereas, the slightly cold nature of the iPod sound (through LOD) compliments the inherent warmth of the Denons...

Other than that it is the difference between apples and oranges... - completely down to personal preference, and no clear winner
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #100 of 138
Hi,i agree with Duncan,but not done a comparison yet,trying to get some hours on the C710's.It depends on what material you play/are playing with both.
C710's do seem to be less harsh with vocals(or the 'S' emphasis at the end of a word,its not Sssss),with most stuff,& vocals are a bit more forward in the soundstage.Yet again if material suit one or the other,they both really sing & vocals sound excellent.

Cheers BOB

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #103 of 138
Why skeptical techenvy?

I can certainly vouch for myself having both, and I believe several others have too...

What source are you using?

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #104 of 138
I've read this thread, C710 thread, and FX500 thread, but can't determine which headphones to buy. In this thread, it seems the c710s are the choice of many, but the poll numbers suggest otherwise. So this is what I have gathered so far:

HI End: The C710s are less "fatiguing" than the FX500s and will mellow even more as they burn in.

Mids: The C710s are more up front and help provide an overall better range, while the FX500s are recessed

Low End: They both have great bass but the FX500s are deeper

Soundstage: The FX500s excel in this area also, but the c710s are not far behind

Cable: the c710s have a thinner, flimsier looking cable that seems to tangle quite easy, but have little "cable-transmitted vibration noise". Both cables are too short for most people's taste and the extender cable is too long

Overall build: both are well made and do not appear to be cheap feeling

Isolation: The c710s are a lot better at this

Price: The C710s are about $50 less than the FX500s

I listen to all types of music (metal, rock, pop, hip-hip, classical, and dance to name a few). I am into metal and rock more than anything. Some of my favorite bands (please don't laugh) are NIN, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Hollywood Undead, Slipknot, Beethoven, Lil' Wayne and Hatebreed.

Given these musicians and the wide spectrum of musical genres, which headphones do you recommend? Do the FX500s mellow out on the high end like the c710s after they've burned in or are they still quite fatiguing?

Also, has anyone had issues with the c710 cable? I'm not rough with my headphones, but I'm not overly careful with them either. I have read that the cable quality is a concern for some but never read about any actual issues. It's a concern because that one of the reasons I want new headphones.

Thanks for any and all help. This will be only my second pair of quality headphones, the UE Super Fi 5 Pros being my first. I got those based off all I had read, and the fact that they were $120 at Costco several years ago. I just want to make the right decision and not regret it.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #105 of 138
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I already own the FX500. Everyday I shake my head in amazement at how good the thing is. I'd really like to know how you guys find this stuff. Seriously. Do you have "amazing iem" sensors or something? I dont get it.
But here's the deal, like I stated, I've been lovin the FX500 for a little while and recently purchased the RSA Shadow. WOW !!! I use it with my Gen 5.5 iPod 80 GB and Ray Samuel's new LOD or the "Reverie" LOD from Pro Cable. No other iem that I own even comes close to the resolution and top to bottom coherency.
My "test" involved the song "Great Gig in the Sky" (Pink Floyd) and the aforementioned equipment. No other iem has come close to playing the beautiful bassline that carries (underpins) that song. That particular bassline lasts pretty much the entire song. The FX500 is the ONLY iem that presents that bassline as seperate, tuneful and emotion invoking. It is the only iem that presents that bassline as "completely there" without missing bits and parts.
I repeatedly read this iem referred to as a "basshead" iem. I don't know about you but I thought that was a negative conotation. When did "actual full range" change its name to basshead? Am I a basshead? I guess I am !!! Everyone, everywhere should not only strive for but they must insist on being a basshead. Why? Because if you don't you are ripping yourself off plain and simple. The only other iem I own I think that has been referred to as a basshead iem is the Atrio M5. Puh leez...... frequencies dropping out or completely MIA. No wonder basshead has a negative ring to it.
I hate to sound old but I'm getting there. When I was younger, ANY FULL RANGE home setup could play that song in ALL its heartfelt glory (not just hint at it). I remember the "emotion" tied to that music. THAT is whats missing in todays iems but thats an entirely different subject.
The combination of the RSA Shadow, Gen5.5 and the (can I find the words?)
oh so perfect FX500 literally brought me to tears once. THAT has never ever happened with today's portable gear. Don't get me wrong. I've experienced plenty of Wow moments but the "emotion" (it seemed) had long since left. I knew we were coming close to a breakthrough when I tried the twenty something dollar PL30. Again, thats another story.
Which brings me back to why I had not noticed this earlier. I think it was Duncan who pointed out it's "a source thing." I did not feel this strongly about the FX500 until I tried it with the RSA Shadow so that must indicate a strong synergy "thing". (I loved them but I wasn't "in love" with them..lol)
Also, I want to cringe when people write about the FX500 as harsh or sibilant. It is NOT. If you experience harshness it is a faulty iem (replace it) or your source (replace it)
I want to finish with and I hate you all equally for this, that I had to go ahead and order the C710 today. Why? Because reading this thread was just killing me. Better than the FX500? No Way !!! Should I? Yes, you won't rest until you know. Until those arrive, (maybe Friday) the combination I mentioned earlier and the FX500's is the closest stab at matching the sound of full size headphones I have ever heard in an iem. PS: check what I presently own for gear to get an idea what I've been searching for. So there you have it.
PSS: I DID NOT have the same experience with the Amp3 Pro2 but again, that's another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back