Denon C710 vs. JVC-Victor FX500
Aug 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #76 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denons isolate better than the FX500's, definitely. I haven't had them in a really noisy environment yet, but it is noticeable.

I have used the Denons outside/bus/light rail/plane and they isolate pretty well (using the standard medium silicone tips). For outside/bus/light rail use, they are quite nice.

The only time I thought I wanted more was on an express jet, sitting near the engines (the 737 trip was acceptable for me).

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #77 of 138
Thanks for the input guys. I listen to mostly Hip Hop and R&B with some acoustic stuff mixed in... Also, can anybody comment on the comfort of the two, are they pretty similar? Starting to lean toward the Denons just because of the superior isolation, but would like to hear some other opinions before I order.

Edit: Also wanted to add that I will be running these through an iPhone 3Gs most likely, don't know if that changes anything

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #78 of 138
Comfort with both is very good. It feels like the Denons stay put in my ears a little better though, giving a slightly more securely locked in place impression. I like wearing both with the cables over the ears.

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #79 of 138
I just got both the C710 and FX500 on the strength of this thread and reviews. I'm still comparing the two but my initial impression is that they are very different phones. Please bear with this really quick and preliminary opinion; it is very likely to change over the coming days.

The Fx500 definitely has a broad soundstage, which is so wide that it almost makes me feel like the headphones aren't deep enough into my ears. I don't feel they isolate very well, and I wonder if that is due to the port on the back of the housing (making them almost like 'open ear' IEMs). I can hear street noise when walking around outside in a way that is not evident at all with the C710s.

The FX500 has a great timbre for acoustic and 'organic' music (for lack of a better term). It also has great detail. However, these qualities only really shine when I'm in a very quiet space.

The C710s by comparison have much more noticeable bass, largely due to the isolation. The detail seems less evident when doing serious comparisons to the FX500 in a quiet room, but in practice, the C710s have a lot more detail due to the much better isolation I get. The C710s also have a more aggressive, forward quality that I don't get as much with the FX500.

Note that I'm using the same Denon silicon tips on both, since they fit on both phones and are my favorite of what is supplied.

At this point I think the C710 is the headphone for me. However, I agree with others who hate the C710 cable! Its flimsy and not encouraging. The FX500 has a great cable by comparison.

I'll keep listening to both over the coming days before making a final decision.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #80 of 138
shiznitz-
Very nice comparison. I think I heard a little more similarity than you... but I did note the difference in soundstage. To my ears the bass on the C710's have more of a mid bass presence while still maintaining the extremely low reach that the FX500's have. They both do have awesome detail and treble extension, and I agree that the FX500's have a touch more clarity. Like you, I experience better isolation with the Denons, which helps with their resolution.

You may want to try Sony EX silicone tips on the Denons (if you have some).. they help widen the stage and give somewhat better treble detail too. They seem to be a terrific tip for the Denons. By contrast, they don't work so well on the FX500's. For those, I recommend the Sony hybrid silicone tips. The soundstage will open up with the Denons after some hours have been put on them, and the treble will settle down too while still keeping the clarity.

Mids sound more forward and properly placed on the C710's to my ears.. another difference in their favor, and I find that this offers a more connected, complete sonic picture over the FX500's.

I guess the reason I find them quite similar is that they're both dynamic driver phones, with tremendous bass, but while possessing wonderful detail and clarity... something which was a pretty rare combination for dynamic phones until these two models. I prefer the Denons by the slightest of margins like you... and I will be keeping both! Again, very nice comparison. I look forward to your further impressions as they get some hours on them.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #81 of 138
Hmm, more toys to buy... lol

Will be interesting to compare to the FX1000 which I still believe to sound more neutral than the FX500 (sample variation????)

Damn Head-Fi lol

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #82 of 138
Damn Head-Fi is right! ....It's still tempting to fork out the cash for the JVC FX-1000's, knowing they sound more natural than the 500's. Although I do enjoy the isolation of the Denons better than the Victors I have now.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #83 of 138
Quote:

Damn Head-Fi is right! ...
.It's still tempting to fork out the cash for the JVC FX-1000's, knowing they sound more natural than the 500's. Although I do enjoy the isolation of the Denons better than the Victors I have now.

Just buy another pair of FX500's - glue them together... and hey presto, you have an FX1000
biggrin.gif

So, do you think you'll really buy some???

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #84 of 138
Ha ha! If they'd sound 'double' the sound quality, I'd do that. Hey, it would be the worlds first dual driver dynamic! But I don't think I'll go for the FX1000's in the near future... there's other things I'd rather do with the funds currently. I would love to hear them sometime though, to hear the difference for myself.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #85 of 138
Someone mentioned the Sony EX tips? Where can I find them? And what other tips (but still fairly comfortable) work good with the C710's? I'm currently using the tips supplied with my cheaper Sony IEM's because the silicon is a bit softer and less harsh on my ears.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #86 of 138
jj94-

That should be the Sony EX tips... You can order the EX tips direct from Sonystyle.com. If you have black, you'll notice they're more like a translucent charcoal. You can see through them somewhat around the bottom edge when you hold them up toward light. There's something different about Sony's silicone, so that it seals up better. I hear a big difference with those tips over any others. The ones provided by Denon are pretty good, but the Sony EX's improve treble detail, soundstage, and bass to my ears.

Ultimate Ears single flange silicone tips are pretty close in sound, but I still can hear those same differences with the EX's, just to a much smaller degree. I think the benefit of the UE tips is that you can order 5 pairs of one size if I remember correctly. With the Sony EX tips you have to order a 3-pack, of one each of S/M/L.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #88 of 138
i find the sony hybrid tips to shut down the soundstage and dynamic range of the c710 too much. maybe its due to the smaller opening, the bass becomes quite 'one note-ish' and the top end clarity is diminished when using the hybrid tips. the EX tips is excellent for the c710 though.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #89 of 138
The more I compared the two Sony tips, the more I heard it this way too. I know soozieq hears it just like this as well....

Funny how the hybrid tips work well with the FX500's, and not the Denons.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #90 of 138
Quote:

Funny how the hybrid tips work well with the FX500's

Yeah....if you like your sound to sound like it's going through a thin narrow tube to your ear.....

Tbh, the Sony Hybrids do not suit the FX500's well at all.
The Sony Hybrids only suit earphones that have small thinly designed tubing e.g. ADDIEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back