Denon AHD2000 or Beyerdynamic dt880
Feb 6, 2010 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

smileypop

New Head-Fier
I am having a tough decision between the Denon 2000 and Beyer dt880. I plan to use them with a PS3 and Astro Mixamp and will be used for 90% gaming and movie watching 10% music. I was all set to buy the ATH-M50, but I have a higher budget then I originally planned for. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. I know I could maybe get a better amp, but I wanted Dolby headphone with the ablility to use a mic with my ps3 so the mixamp fit the bill. Thanks

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 25
Im in a similar position. altho for me its the PC, not a PS3. ill probably end up goin with the DT880s. great overall quality and very balanced. Ive heard the AE2 amps are not bad. both phones would work nicely for your gaming needs. only trouble you might have, is deciding which.. good luck with your decision.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 25
if your going to waste most of your time playing games with these headphones, you might as well grab the denons, as they are much more easy to amp. if you get the 880's, which impedance are you going for?

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if your going to waste most of your time playing games with these headphones, you might as well grab the denons, as they are much more easy to amp.

I agree. Go for Denon D2000 because I assume that they will sound great with a simple amp than a DT800. The latter needs an amp that will drive to its best potential like an AKG K701 headphone.

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 25
Well I was looking at the 250Ohm version, but should I be looking at the 32Ohm of the beyers? I have read various posts that say the Mixamp can drive the 250's just fine for gaming and movie needs, but should I just play it safe and get the 32Ohm?

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 25
Go with Denon, very easy to drive. powerful and playful sound. I was disappointed with sound in games after I got HD650 and D5000, they have all the ability to delivery amazing sound all the way though, specially on PS3 with blurey and optical out but still most games sound mediocre. I was very excited when I got HD650 to play COD MW2 but up for disappointment, I understood how way behind sound is in games, in almost every respect.

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 25
I haven't heard either of them, but I'd go with the DT880 if I were you.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with Denon, very easy to drive. powerful and playful sound. I was disappointed with sound in games after I got HD650 and D5000, they have all the ability to delivery amazing sound all the way though, specially on PS3 with blurey and optical out but still most games sound mediocre. I was very excited when I got HD650 to play COD MW2 but up for disappointment, I understood how way behind sound is in games, in almost every respect.

It really depends on the game. In most instances, the stereo output in console games is very lacking. The directionality isn't there (almost as if they design it for TV speakers 1 foot apart from each other). However, they usually have pretty fantastic 5.1 output, so if you can take advantage of Dolby Headphone, do it.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 25
I had the 880's awhile back and got rid of them because they were too bright. Listening to the same music out the same source at the same volume as all my other headphones, they would leave my ears ringing. I could have backed the treble out of the EQ but that seemed pointless to me. I liked everything else about them though. I just didn't see the point in keeping them if I had to make major adjustments to them that I did not with all my other headphones.

I have had my D2000's for a couple of years now and still love them as much today as I did the first day I got them.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the 880's awhile back and got rid of them because they were too bright. Listening to the same music out the same source at the same volume as all my other headphones, they would leave my ears ringing. I could have backed the treble out of the EQ but that seemed pointless to me. I liked everything else about them though. I just didn't see the point in keeping them if I had to make major adjustments to them that I did not with all my other headphones.

I have had my D2000's for a couple of years now and still love them as much today as I did the first day I got them.

what was your source/amp?

to the OP: You might consider the DT880/250ohm, they are one of the best gaming headphones ever made. they should work alright with the Astro mix amp, but you should consider a better source/amp in the future to fully bring out their potential.

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 25
OK I own D2000s and beyer 880s, both 250 and 600.

The D2000s are closed. The 880s are semi-closed, which means they are really open.

The posters here are correct, you need a good amp for either the 880/600 or the 880/250.

The 880 is the sharper, more revealing, detailed phone. The D2000 more musical.

The PS3 playing an SACD, in to a white-box HDMI-to-S/PDIF converter off eBay, then in to a Matrix DAC, than a Head-Direct EF1 with an RCA tube, makes beautiful music with the D2000s ... my wife listens to this combo.

Can't talk about games. But from my experience with music, if you don't have the amp for the 880/600s, get the D2000s.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gaming? Neither. Get AD700.

The AD700 are great for gaming, but the DT880 is better for gaming
wink.gif

Is the DT880 3 times better than the AD700 in gaming (price difference)? No.

But yeah, 32 ohm DT880 for gaming = good.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 are great for gaming, but the DT880 is better for gaming
wink.gif

Is the DT880 3 times better than the AD700 in gaming (price difference)? No.

But yeah, 32 ohm DT880 for gaming = good.

tongue.gif
good points.

Regarding the D2000, it has more bass which some people seem to like but I much rather prefer to hear the opponent's foot steps over the gun shots so I can shoot them.

Pick a side.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 25
I just picked up the D2000s recently and I am running on the Astro Mixamp. I only have had them running for a week, so early days, but I am enjoying the setup so far, for both music (classic rock and indie) and some gaming. Overall they have a good balance, though, I am finding the bass just a bit over-powering at higher listening levels (I have heard this changes with run in). The think I am liking very much is that they sound great right now at lower listening level... don't need to crank them up that get great dynamics with these cans, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back