Denon AH-MM400
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #1,411 of 1,435
So I did play around with BT receivers with the Denon and Oppo, the experience is a bit awkward, even just ergonomically. I think you will get a better experience with the Panda tbh. Just more refined, newer standards and built around the driver can never be a bad thing.

I hadn't listened to the PM3 for a while before listening to the Panda so I can't comment directly what has changed, unfortunately. It was similarly quite balanced and natural to my ear, a bit dynamically flat but an enjoyable listen.

If you want to invest in a desktop setup too, Atom is a great way to go, with clean power for IEMs as well if you use them too. But then I had no issue with the amp in the Panda either, the driver isn't too sensitive so no noise, but at the same time there was good extension and control.

I haven't really dabbled in the newer offerings as I've moved towards IEMs and open-backs for personal usage. And for pricing, I paid about $120 AUD for my MM-400 in Japan, mint condition, truly incredible value. The PM3 is around $300 still here which makes the Panda a more logical option for most.

Ah did you tried it with the Fiio BTR that you reviewed? It doesn't attach well on its sides?
Thanks for the advice though, I think I'll be more inclined towards that direction if you've done the deed and it doesn't work.

How did you find the Panda's bass compared to the Denon's? In your shootout the PM3 was linear whereas the MM400 has more emphasis and impact. Has the gap closed between the Panda's vs MM400? I tend to prefer a little more emphasis on bass but quality over quantity. Bloated/uncontrolled bass is a nono which is why I was hesitant on the Meze 99 initially. I tend to listen to both EDM as well as acoustic vocal/instruments.

120 AUD is a steal! The cheapest I can find now is 275 AUD and I thought THAT was a deal :smile:.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #1,412 of 1,435
Ah did you tried it with the Fiio BTR that you reviewed? It doesn't attach well on its sides?
Thanks for the advice though, I think I'll be more inclined towards that direction if you've done the deed and it doesn't work.

How did you find the Panda's bass compared to the Denon's? In your shootout the PM3 was linear whereas the MM400 has more emphasis and impact. Has the gap closed between the Panda's vs MM400? I tend to prefer a little more emphasis on bass but quality over quantity. Bloated/uncontrolled bass is a nono which is why I was hesitant on the Meze 99 initially. I tend to listen to both EDM as well as acoustic vocal/instruments.

If you are a cheapskate and don't need the accessories buy the BossHifi B8 for half the price. I own both and technically they are the same. Now any bashing is welcome 😎

120 AUD is a steal! The cheapest I can find now is 275 AUD and I thought THAT was a deal :smile:.
Get the SIVGA 006 and a nice pair of sheepskin earpads as the original protein leather ones wear out quickly with heavy use. The SIVGA is the better Denon and comes with all the accessories and a nice case for about 120$. THAT is exceptional value.

Sorry daijoubu, something went wrong with my reply. The second part about the B8 ended up in your comment.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,413 of 1,435
Hi
I have a question about the denon AH-MM400 original cable with mic.
I looking for replace my MSR7NC (switch is dead) and I use it with a LG V30 phone (DAC).
I see on Denon site, the cable with microphone is only compatible with iPad / iPhone. Could you confirme me the mic operate with a Android phones?
Thanks. Air1

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #1,414 of 1,435
Hello guys!

I'm looking for replacement earpads and begin to be upset, because there is no available original Denon pad (for a reasonable price at least), or aftermarket ones, that contain the MM400 in the officially supported list. The chinese webshops are full with crappy ones, so you can not tell, if it is OK or not anymore.
Could you give me some advice on QUALITY replacement earpads for these cans please. Or a compatbibility list (other high value headphones, wit the same padsizes), dimensions, any data is welcome.

I still love the sound, but the original pads can wear and tear easily, more frustrating is, that there is no real support for replacement parts, unlike Beyerdynamic for example.
Pads influence the sound too much to buy low quality pieces. BTW I was looking around on Dekonis site
A. No MM400 in any supported list
B. Respect for the measurements (frequency diagrams), should be given in any (quality) replacement pad specsheet
C. If these diagrams are correct, most of their products doesn't worth a penny (up to 12-14 dB difference compared to the original diagram :xf_eek: - Holy crap category)

Best Regards!
Attila

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #1,415 of 1,435
Hello guys!

I'm looking for replacement earpads and begin to be upset, because there is no available original Denon pad (for a reasonable price at least), or aftermarket ones, that contain the MM400 in the officially supported list. The chinese webshops are full with crappy ones, so you can not tell, if it is OK or not anymore.
Could you give me some advice on QUALITY replacement earpads for these cans please. Or a compatbibility list (other high value headphones, wit the same padsizes), dimensions, any data is welcome.

I still love the sound, but the original pads can wear and tear easily, more frustrating is, that there is no real support for replacement parts, unlike Beyerdynamic for example.
Pads influence the sound too much to buy low quality pieces. BTW I was looking around on Dekonis site
A. No MM400 in any supported list
B. Respect for the measurements (frequency diagrams), should be given in any (quality) replacement pad specsheet
C. If these diagrams are correct, most of their products doesn't worth a penny (up to 12-14 dB difference compared to the original diagram :xf_eek: - Holy crap category)

Best Regards!
Attila
Just measure your original earpads and then order some handmade sheepskin ones from AliExpress. High quality for less than 25€. Or get the replacement pads for the SIVGA 006. You want the ones on the right.

Those are a bit thicker than the original ones. That's an advantage.

The sheepskin ones are more comfortable and durable. You can find them on AliExpress, too. Or get new better phones like the Denon, buy the SIVGA Sv006.

The SIVGA is an improved Denon for less money.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-19-15-52-58-432_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-06-19-15-52-58-432_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #1,417 of 1,435
Just measure your original earpads and then order some handmade sheepskin ones from AliExpress. High quality for less than 25€. Or get the replacement pads for the SIVGA 006. You want the ones on the right.

The sheepskin ones are more comfortable and durable. You can find them on AliExpress, too. Or get new better phones like the Denon, buy the SIVGA Sv006.

Well thank you for your reply!

I definitely give the Sivga earpads a try, as many people are praising those headphones, those must be ok at least.
I'm not sure about the headphone itself, I can see the resemblance of the two, but I'm sceptic. I know, I could google and see reviews for eternity, but could you link reviews what you think are worthy. If you had both, I can accept that as an answer as well.
Still, would be happy to read some more real life headphone enthusiasts about it (no sponsored content, no hobby DJ, etc.)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #1,418 of 1,435
Well thank you for your reply!

I definitely give the Sivga earpads a try, as many people are praising those headphones, those must be ok at least.
I'm not sure about the headphone itself, I can see the resemblance of the two, but I'm sceptic. I know, I could google and see reviews for eternity, but could you link reviews what you think are worthy. If you had both, I can accept that as an answer as well.
Still, would be happy to read some more real life headphone enthusiasts about it (no sponsored content, no hobby DJ, etc.)

Cheers!

Sorry but I'm tired of praising my B8 and SIVGA. Got bashed too many times here because only people who know them say positive things. The tenor of the general know-it-alls here is Chinese trash, way too cheap to be that good, yada yada...

I know excellent headphones, used to love my Stax Lambdas a lot but they lack bass. Still the best transparancy wise. I would like to give the Takstar planars a try. At 200$ they are very affordable plus they are easy to drive, too.

Good luck!

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #1,419 of 1,435

Well...
I ordered them, just got the oval earpads, and they are waaaay too big for de Denons. The rubber rim is short, so I can not fit them any way.
At least I ordered 2 pairs straightaway. So now I have two pair of SIVGA 006 earpads to sell, and yet another pair for the Denons to buy.

Or at least one piece, because only ones rim gave out due to one normal use after laying in the box for a long time, no wear and tear... Maybe I even give the selfmade refurbishment a try.
I will never buy a product again, that has no spare parts on the market for a reasonable price. Now I (still) hate these cans.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,420 of 1,435
Well...
I ordered them, just got the oval earpads, and they are waaaay too big for de Denons. The rubber rim is short, so I can not fit them any way.
At least I ordered 2 pairs straightaway. So now I have two pair of SIVGA 006 earpads to sell, and yet another pair for the Denons to buy.

Or at least one piece, because only ones rim gave out due to one normal use after laying in the box for a long time, no wear and tear... Maybe I even give the selfmade refurbishment a try.
I will never buy a product again, that has no spare parts on the market for a reasonable price. Now I (still) hate these cans.
Got the Takstar HF580 and enjoying them very much. These cans are endgame if you get the right earpads, everybody has different ears and can experiment endlessly. Happy enough with the standard pads, maybe try some sheepskin ones later. Get them. Don't fiddle around with bad hardware like these overpriced Denons. Just my 2 cents.

Aug 26, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #1,421 of 1,435

A month ago my official Denon replacement pads (from https://encompass.com/item/10558140/Denon/927439101000D/) wore out like the originals and I ordered those SIVGA Sv006 pads from AliExpress. I just received them and unfortunately they are slightly too large for my AH-MM400's. Large enough where they wont stay on at all. Has anyone actually gotten a pair that fit?

I'm going to try these guys https://www.amazon.com/YunYiYi-Replacement-Earpads-AH-MM400-Headphones/dp/B07449R8Q2
They look similarly put together as the SIVGA Sv006 pads. We'll see.

Luckily I have some of these cheap guys in the meantime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F9V1V5T/
They are a little bit thinner than the original pads. Not great.

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,424 of 1,435
I can still see there are some available on Ebay from Japan.. price £365. I just wanted to add that I have replaced the original pads as for some strange reason they torn. I got a pair from China and did not expect much. Surprisingly, these new pads are even softer material and mainly they are deeper. This somehow improved their great sound, better bass and the clarity remained. The comfort improvement is there as well. I enjoy the new sound and comfort a lot, love them.

People, please do not take these headphones out. They might get scratch easily and that would be a sin. Also cannot imaging if they get wet.. the weather also would also not good to the wooden cups. Keep these at home or your studio only.

For anybody who likes their sound please try Denon HP700 or HP800 if you can still find them. They sound even better for the fraction of the price. Both HP800 and MM400 are my favorite pair of headphones... until D7200 arrives :)

Attachments

• IMG_20211007_191637.jpg
    IMG_20211007_191637.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211007_191704.jpg
    IMG_20211007_191704.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,425 of 1,435
I can still see there are some available on Ebay from Japan.. price £365. I just wanted to add that I have replaced the original pads as for some strange reason they torn. I got a pair from China and did not expect much. Surprisingly, these new pads are even softer material and mainly they are deeper. This somehow improved their great sound, better bass and the clarity remained. The comfort improvement is there as well. I enjoy the new sound and comfort a lot, love them.

People, please do not take these headphones out. They might get scratch easily and that would be a sin. Also cannot imaging if they get wet.. the weather also would also not good to the wooden cups. Keep these at home or your studio only.

For anybody who likes their sound please try Denon HP700 or HP800 if you can still find them. They sound even better for the fraction of the price. Both HP800 and MM400 are my favorite pair of headphones... until D7200 arrives :)
Just get the original BossHifi B8 pads or the SIVGA 006 I guess. Nice sheepskin pads that fit would probably be these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003262543127.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7762595d3tIbsP&algo_pvid=d8afdd79-0a09-486f-bb80-4e5f12edb693&algo_exp_id=d8afdd79-0a09-486f-bb80-4e5f12edb693-1&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000024910967973"}

I'm using the SIVGA 006 with good success and lately got the Takstar HF 580 planars and am very happy. They need a bit more juice but sound great. Better than the Denon/SIVGA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back