Denon AH-MM400
Jun 17, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,381 of 1,435
Congrats, man. I still enjoy my set.
Thank you!

I ordered them open box with a little discount. Total 193 GBP including shipping. I hope they're just fine :-D.

Don't mind, yawg. He's just the resident BossHifi touter
wink.gif
Yeah I already noticed, reading through the thread. Can't be missed. Anyway thanks for recommendation @yawg ;D. Maybe some day I get to them.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #1,382 of 1,435
So they arrived! Out of the box I am unimpressed which I expected. That happened with 50% of my other headphones too :D. Right now the sound is overall muffled, lazy, unresolving. But as I already read 35 pages of this thread I have the best hopes they gain the resolution with a proper burn-in. Many people here wrote that they require that. Even over 100 hours according to @musikaladin who also reviewed them.

Conclusion; Finally no further changes anymore between 200hrs and 300hrs. Still, no idea how the Denon guys do it that such an extremely long break-in is required to finally settle the FR. To me the experience with the AH-M400 is history repeating. It was similar with the AH-D7100.

So my advise to anybody who feels that the bass is too bloated: Be patient!!! give the mids and highs (a lot of) time to come forward. I actually enjoyed to see (hear) the sound refining more and more over time...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,383 of 1,435
Muffled isn't a descriptor I'd assign to the 400s, so hopefully they open up for you!

So far I've found these Denon's to have the least external noise leakage of any closed-back I've encountered - might be of no importance to anyone else, but I appreciate this attribute!

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,384 of 1,435
Already after 20 hours of burn-in the sound had become enormously clearer. Treble sharpened, the veil disappeared. Now after 50 hours the sound it truly magnificent. The bass quality is comparable to my DT770 which means just top level :D. Beautiful natural mids, there's just the right amount of them. Crystallic treble delivering the energy to the reproduction. I must say that all that countless appreciating posts in this thread are right. I found my perfect over-ear portable headphones. Search is over :).

So far I've found these Denon's to have the least external noise leakage of any closed-back I've encountered - might be of no importance to anyone else, but I appreciate this attribute!
Not that I'm especially demanding in this area but yes they do amazing job isolating :).

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #1,385 of 1,435
Already after 20 hours of burn-in the sound had become enormously clearer. Treble sharpened, the veil disappeared. Now after 50 hours the sound it truly magnificent. The bass quality is comparable to my DT770 which means just top level :D. Beautiful natural mids, there's just the right amount of them. Crystallic treble delivering the energy to the reproduction. I must say that all that countless appreciating posts in this thread are right. I found my perfect over-ear portable headphones. Search is over :).

Not that I'm especially demanding in this area but yes they do amazing job isolating :).

You just described the sound of the B8 perfectly. I just ordered a second pair with a box for traveling from AliExpress. Congrats!

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #1,386 of 1,435
You just described the sound of the B8 perfectly. I just ordered a second pair with a box for traveling from AliExpress. Congrats!
Is Bosshifi paying you for this or what?

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #1,387 of 1,435
Jul 1, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,388 of 1,435
Nope their headphones are so cheap they can't afford commercials.
If you want to spend more money and get a nice box and extra cables and airplane adapter etc. get this one, a glorified BossHifi B8:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961093003.html

Don't get fooled by brand names. Everybody is cooking with water. I guess the BossHifi HPs come from the same factory as the Denons. But the factory has more capacity so they put out lookalikes which they improve and tweak a little hehe ...

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,389 of 1,435
@yawg I don't understand why you keep pushing it so tirelessly...

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,391 of 1,435
No kidding. My gag reflex is on fire.
Not "pushing" anything. Just trying to wake you up not to waste your money. This is my last comment. So just relax.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #1,392 of 1,435
Nope their headphones are so cheap they can't afford commercials.

Ok, so youre a voluntary promoter?

Looks exactly like my BossHifi B8 with its original cable ...

I have only good experiences with Ali. My sellers always answer withing 24 hours tops when I have any questions.

I like to save money and have some adventure, always works for me.

Especially in the case of the B8. And another one if you use earbuds sometimes. These are really good, believe it or not, the first buds with good overall SQ and real bass:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/...47271.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000017.1.mDZjEZ

Penon is a trusted seller, also has the B8 in stock, there is an even cheaper option but that must not be mentioned here.

And there is also Taobao, eBay, Amazon ...

Got the case. Fits well along with the audio cable, my Meridian Explorer2, and a tiny usb cable. Not very happy with the build quality of this specific case that I got. I was hoping it's a solid hard shell, but it seems more of a hard semi flexible plastic case. But yes, it was also advertised for Beats Studio.

If you like these I'd suggest trying the BossHifi B8 available via AliExpress. I got them and they are gorgeous. I guess the B8 are the improved Denons, they have a great cable with standard output and better drivers, 50 mm Beryllium type. And they only cost me 71 €, free shipping! Plus they sound great even straight out of my ancient Nokia N8 smartphone. They have a 16 Ohm impedance and very high sensitivity so you don't need another booster amp. Connecting my B8 via my FiiO amp made them sound even less dynamic.

They look like the Denons without the DENON aluminum plates and have the same walnut cups. I guess they come from the same factory that produce the Denons but are a lot cheaper and solved the original Denon's problems (cheap cable and oval connection). They have thicker earpads, too and are a basically a rip-off but the superior headphones LOL.

If you get a chance, try them and tell us about it. Thanks.

These pads look exactly like the ones on my BossHifi B8. LOL.

You should include the BossHifi B8 Denon look-alikes on your shopping/evaluation list. For @ 75 bucks on AliExpress they are a steal and will declass the Denons IMO.

I think you should try the BossHifi B8 from AliExpress. IMO they are superior to the "original" Denon HP although a ripoff. Their earcups are bigger and deeper and made of "protein leather", actually better than real leather IMO. As the B8 only cost 53 € now with free shipping you could order them and if you still like the Denon's sound sig better, just pluck off the ear cushions from the B8 and put them on your Denons as the wooden cups are the same size IIRC.

The B8 are not foldable but that's a plus, you'll never get annoying sounds from that pivot like some users have reported. They have better drivers, too, dual beryllium voice coils with bigger diameter. The cable is also better, not the stupid oval type. Just try them out, they are an unbelievable bargain.

Good luck!

So are the BossHifi B8. The price is now 50 quid or even less. Check them out. On AliExpress, shipping very cheap but delivery can take some time. They come from the same factory as the Denons I guess.

Where did you get the HPs? Thanks.

How about the sensitivity of the HPs? The B8 is very sensitive and has 16 Ohm impedance, can play loud even from a smartphone. Sometimes I use a FiiO amp for a bit tighter bass and even more volume but I like cans which I can plug in anywhere.

Thanks.

I suggest you try the Denon lookalike BossHifi B8. It's even better, more comfortable and way cheaper than the Denon. Has a better cable, too.

3 of my friend bought it and are very happy with it, one of them owns an expensive Fidelio and prefers the B8.

It doesn't leak sound but you can still hear a bit of your surroundings. I think it's about 60 bucks at AliExpress now.

... and the judgement of three of my friends who have also experience with other expensive headphones. Did you try the B8 yet?

I went to a hifi exhibition lately and compared them to a range of expensive cans, went home smiling ...

Try the Boss Hifi B8 those cans have the same earcups as the Denon. Could be you even like their sound better so you don't have to replace the cushions on your Denon. The B8 cans might even be a bit cheaper than a pair of cushions hehe.

As I mentioned earlier give the BossHifi B8 a try. They are about 60 bucks at AliExpress now.
Still very happy with them and so are some of my friends that bought them after they tried mine.
Trust me.

As mentioned earlier do not forget the BossHifi B8. Much better value than the Denon and better sound, too. On AliExpress. Good luck.

I bet none of you have ever listened to the B8. Maybe you just don't dare, realizing all that money spent for nothing hehe.

When your Denon earpads have worn out get a pair. Give them a listen and if you don't prefer them over your Denons just use the thicker and more comfortable pads of the B8 and its cable.

If you want to spend more money and get a nice box and extra cables and airplane adapter etc. get this one, a glorified BossHifi B8:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961093003.html

Don't get fooled by brand names. Everybody is cooking with water. I guess the BossHifi HPs come from the same factory as the Denons. But the factory has more capacity so they put out lookalikes which they improve and tweak a little hehe ...

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #1,393 of 1,435
^ gold ^ :D :D :D

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,394 of 1,435
Not "pushing" anything. Just trying to wake you up not to waste your money. This is my last comment. So just relax.

We're all entitled to share our opinions and expand the horizons of people, but the regularity at which you've been doing it is... too much. I'm sure they might be as good as the Denon's, but there's many of us out there that would prefer the warranty from a big name, and mainly for me, I have no desire to use AliExpress. We get you like them, dude. But this is the Denon thread, after all, and none of your comments are contributing to this particular discussion. By all means feel free to keep flying the Bosshifi flag, but maybe reign in the frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back