Denon AH-MM400
Dec 22, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #1,186 of 1,435
Recently I've been thinking of getting some wireless headphones. I've already got the Plantronics Backbeat Pros which aren't bad at all but have slightly bloated mono-tone bass if I were to nit pick.
 Before buying a set of new bluetooth headphones I decided to see what kind of bluetooth adaptors were available and found quite a nice one for about £15. It has a nice form-factor and supports aptx. With a very small amount of filing it fits perfectly into the MM400's recessed 3.5mm socket.

Sound-wise it isn't bad. It drives the MM400s quite nicely and has good bass and clear mids and highs. It's only real flaw is that there is a slight amount of background hiss, but it doesn't detract from the sound too much, and is fine for listening around the house. It even has a microphone hands-free calling which worked well when I tried it in a quiet environment.

Given how difficult it is to find a replacement cable which fits the MM400, I was surprised to find how easily this fitted.

-Mark.

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #1,188 of 1,435
  @Mark R-S Nice find! How's the battery life and latency?

Latency was good - No sync issues at all watching videos. The claimed battery life is 5 hours, but I haven't tested this.

In the UK is was sold as 'Maceton Aluminum Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Receiver', but it's probably sold under other names as well.

-Mark.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #1,191 of 1,435

Many thanks. I've done it. It was just patience - something that I lack!!

Thank you for your original post because my first impression is that new pads are far more comfortable. The slightly larger and deeper aperture certainly help.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #1,195 of 1,435
Those generic oval Beats Solo hard cases fit perfectly, here's a photo from an Amazon review:

Thanks for the links. I can't really tell from the photos if the cable needs to be removed before fitting into it those cases. That seems to be a common challenge for many cases with wired headphones though.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #1,196 of 1,435
Thanks for the links. I can't really tell from the photos if the cable needs to be removed before fitting into it those cases. That seems to be a common challenge for many cases with wired headphones though.

If you fold the side with the cable in first then fold the other earcup, you can wind the cable around the hangers and it will fit in the case, I used to do this on my B&W P7's. That being said, the cable is still a bit strained, I would still remove and coil it when storing. For around the house, I use a headphone stand of hanger as it is more convenient, the Omega headphone stands don't depress the headband either. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #1,197 of 1,435
I’ve had my eyes on the Denon MM-400s for a while now but have never found a dealer who stocks them so I can see what they look and feel like in the flesh. I bought the NAD HP50s about a year ago and have been happy using them on my daily train commute. But, no matter how good they sound or how comfy they are, I’ve always been aware of how they look. A few weeks ago I saw a guy wearing the MM-400s on the train and I was impressed, I know the wood divides opinion but I thought they looked fantastic. Regrettably, I didn’t pluck up the courage to ask a random stranger if I could try his headphones on, so I thought I’d ask if anyone has had the opportunity to compare the MM-400s to the HP50s?
I’ve read the online reviews and am confident the sound quality of the MM-400s will be to my liking. The two things I’m keen to gather opinions on are comfort and noise isolation;
  1. My HP50s weigh just 226 grams, so seeing the MM-400s weigh 310 grams is a concern. The HP50s have a straight headband though so the weight isn’t evenly spread. Does the curved headband of the MM400s mean that the extra weight is more evenly spread and therefore not noticeable?
  2. My HP50s have quite a strong clamp and I find their passive noise isolation to be very good therefore. I’ve read one review that says the clamping force of the MM-400s is strong too, so is their noise isolation on par with the HP50s?
Also, does anyone know of a dealer who stocks the MM-400s in their showroom in North West England? I've found some who can order them in, but not for me to test them before I decide to buy.
Thanks, Richard.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #1,198 of 1,435
  I’ve had my eyes on the Denon MM-400s for a while now but have never found a dealer who stocks them so I can see what they look and feel like in the flesh. I bought the NAD HP50s about a year ago and have been happy using them on my daily train commute. But, no matter how good they sound or how comfy they are, I’ve always been aware of how they look. A few weeks ago I saw a guy wearing the MM-400s on the train and I was impressed, I know the wood divides opinion but I thought they looked fantastic. Regrettably, I didn’t pluck up the courage to ask a random stranger if I could try his headphones on, so I thought I’d ask if anyone has had the opportunity to compare the MM-400s to the HP50s?
I’ve read the online reviews and am confident the sound quality of the MM-400s will be to my liking. The two things I’m keen to gather opinions on are comfort and noise isolation;
  1. My HP50s weigh just 226 grams, so seeing the MM-400s weigh 310 grams is a concern. The HP50s have a straight headband though so the weight isn’t evenly spread. Does the curved headband of the MM400s mean that the extra weight is more evenly spread and therefore not noticeable?
  2. My HP50s have quite a strong clamp and I find their passive noise isolation to be very good therefore. I’ve read one review that says the clamping force of the MM-400s is strong too, so is their noise isolation on par with the HP50s?
Also, does anyone know of a dealer who stocks the MM-400s in their showroom in North West England? I've found some who can order them in, but not for me to test them before I decide to buy.
Thanks, Richard.

The MM-400's don't have the greatest isolation I've experienced, the B&O H7 and Oppo PM3 both isolate quite a bit more, but they do isolate more than the HP50's. I also found them far more comfortable than the HP50's in general, the contour of the headband is more ergonomic and the earpads, though shallow, fit my ears more snugly. The clamp force is pretty high, you can loosen it by stretching the headphone out a few times, though it makes them quite stable on the head during commute. Not sure where you can demo them, I live in Australia but actually ordered my set from the UK, I believe the seller was homeavdirect, not sure if it's close to you. 

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #1,199 of 1,435
Thanks, Richard.

I have a pair that has only been used several times and have been sitting in their pouch for the last 3+ months waiting to go on eBay. If you'd consider a 'used' pair I'll send you mine and if you decide they're not for you just send them back to me and I'll return your cash.

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,200 of 1,435
The MM-400's don't have the greatest isolation I've experienced, the B&O H7 and Oppo PM3 both isolate quite a bit more, but they do isolate more than the HP50's. I also found them far more comfortable than the HP50's in general, the contour of the headband is more ergonomic and the earpads, though shallow, fit my ears more snugly. The clamp force is pretty high, you can loosen it by stretching the headphone out a few times, though it makes them quite stable on the head during commute. Not sure where you can demo them, I live in Australia but actually ordered my set from the UK, I believe the seller was homeavdirect, not sure if it's close to you. 

Thanks for taking the time to offer your views. It's interesting that you place the PM3s above the MM400s and both above the HP50s for noise isolation. I have tested the PM3s alongside my HP50s at a local dealer and stood next to a busy road with no music playing, I thought they both isolated me from the traffic equally well. But if you think the MM400s are superior to the HP50s in this regard that's a good sign.

It's also a good sign that you found them to be far more comfortable than the HP50s despite the extra weight. Again going back to the PM3s I tried on, they are a little heavier than the MM400s but share the curved headband and whilst I could tell they were heavier than my HP50s, they were no less comfortable.

I've never thought of the B&O H7s before but have had a look into them (and the H6s) since you mentioned their strong noise isolation. The good thing about them is that they are available at numerous stores so I think I'll have a look at them in the flesh before I take the blind leap of faith on the MM400s. Unfortunately homeavdirect are an online retailer only.

@ waveSounds - thank you for the offer but I think I will buy new once I've made my mind up, not because I don't believe your set is in great condition, but because I know warranties don't transfer and I'd be worried about something going wrong in 6 months time and I wouldn be covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back