Denon AH-MM400
Jul 9, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #1,036 of 1,435
:xf_eek: PM set
Ok, I am ready to do a/b/c test with yamaha, denon, and german maestro. Few questions before digging into test:
1. Any specific track you want me to compare? If you have specific hq audio track you want me to test, please let me know, pm me a download link or email ne the file..
2. What is the best way to convert audio cd to ipod readable file without losing quality?

PM Sent, sent a FLAC file over :D

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,040 of 1,435
One way to look at it is that these are still a lot more comfortable than most headphones. I use dbpoweramp to rip my cds. It's easy to use and does quality rips. I use a line out of a cd player and use disc illuminator gel and find it more than good enoiugh to my ADL stride amp with good cables.

These are definitely more comfortable than Audeze Sine I've tried and the Amperior and Nad Hp50 too.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,041 of 1,435
   I moved up to a Black Dragon headphone cable and it mellowed out the treble range and opened the mids up more.  Bass is a bit better.  I think my upgrade itch is pretty sustained. 

How much it mellowed the treble? You can hear a big difference? I ask because I'm really really annoyed with the treble of MM400, which fatigue me really fast. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,042 of 1,435
How much it mellowed the treble? You can hear a big difference? I ask because I'm really really annoyed with the treble of MM400, which fatigue me really fast. 
I pair my Denon with the Fiio X3II and the treble is spot on, even without any equaliser. If I use it with any of the smartphones we have at home, being a Sony Xperia Z2 or Huawei Mate 7, then it's a little too bright for my liking. So getting the right source is key. What are you using?

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,043 of 1,435
I pair my Denon with the Fiio X3II and the treble is spot on, even without any equaliser. If I use it with any of the smartphones we have at home, being a Sony Xperia Z2 or Huawei Mate 7, then it's a little too bright for my liking. So getting the right source is key. What are you using?

I agree with Romani the source is key. I havent found treble fatiguing on Cayin N5. EQ Off

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #1,046 of 1,435
Just started ABX comparison. All three headphones have more than enough burn in. Yamaha and German Maestro has over 80 hours, while Denon has over 300 hours since I owned it from last year...

I will post update sometime this week.
Please note, I am not an audiophile, nor claim my ears are super sensitive. I tested on few songs, just to get initial impression.

I will not focus too much on aesthetic. I will address a few feedback on comfortability. Yamaha has the largest earcup, and feel most comfortable for short period of time (just tried and switch every minute or so). However, it is the heaviest among all. Denon is second, pretty close on comfortability and also lighter than Yamaha. German Maestro is the least comfortable IMO, although it is the lightest.

Sound wise, just initial impression, I don't want to write a detailed review until I reviewed them carefully, then I will write detailed review for different categories and/or track.
Yamaha seems to have most bass, followed by Denon. It feels like Yamaha is "muddy." Denon was in the middle, GM maestro is the "clearest" among all. But when I have song with heavier bass, GM was obviously behind. Not sure if GM is neutral sounding (read: I am slightly basshead), but I can see where GM lack compared to Denon and vice versa. I do not think Yamaha has any lead among GM or Denon. Although Yamaha has better lower frequency response, I feel like the trade off is not justifiable.
Based on my initial impression, i will take GM or Denon (depending on music genre) over Yamaha any day.

For whatever reason, I can't come up with track that has good upper range vocal. I need something sound "dry", not deep and high pitch. Not sure if "dry" is the correct word. I would say Celine Dion is slightly "deeper" vocal compared to Marial Carey, hopefully that help explain what I am looking for...
Any track recommendation? I would be open to good instrumental track without vocal to audition the higher frequency of the headphone...

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #1,048 of 1,435
To rephrase my question, I would like some insight on good track to test treble only A lot of track will have strong mid mixed with treble.
My goal for this is to test how clean/open the higher frequency without distraction from a lot of mids.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #1,049 of 1,435
Yes, I agree. I am going to rate great, good and poor combinations of Denon AH-MM400 and players,dacs
1. Fiio X3 2nd gen, It is a great match.
2. Grace Design m9xx is good but the bass is reduced for some reason.
3. Sony NWZ-A17. It is OK match but lacking dynamics a bit. If you turn on the EQ or ClearAudio + it affects the sound negatively
4. Cowon Plenue D. It is a nice match. While lacking some finer details the EQ is superior and the overall listening experience is satisfactory, very musical match.
5. Straight from LG G4, Samsung Tab 2, Ipad Air 2. Forget about it. Not worth it.
6. Dragonfly Red portable (really portable) connected to Ipad Air 2 and connected to LG G4 with USB Audio Player pro. It is OMG......a union born in haven, just hard to describe. And the best part is that Dragonfly Red really uses very modest amount of power and after hours of playing did not notice any significant battery drainage. It is truly the best match.
7. Creative Sound Blaster E5. It is a poor match. With SRS on it is too muddy and too bassy, without SRS on it is dull, not worth it.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #1,050 of 1,435
Try Janet Devlin. Very clear voice for comparing phones. Also great testing CDs for phones are The DALI CDs Vol. 1, 2,3,4. Also try the phones with the Italian band Il Volo. Yes, the GMs have less bass but I do not think is lacking, it is very well placed everywhere and it is the "clearest". That being said Denon AH-MM400 is more musical and relaxing. Different sound signatures but I enjoy them both equally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back