Denon AH-MM400
Oct 21, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #826 of 1,435
I actually find the M2 a little loose and not isolating enough. The mm400 fits very well. It's A smidgen tight, but still comfy, and isolates really well. Man, the dynamics of the denons is amazing. They slam like nothing else. Just bought mine today. I saw a video review of all 3 new denon models, however, and I'm sad to say the 400s look the worst. I really wish the earcups were black or white on the 400. Anyway, the walnut will have to do, and the FANTASTIC sound will take my mind off that in any event.

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #827 of 1,435
Received a pair from Amazon Warehouse Deals today. I was looking for a fully closed complement to my Audioquest Nighthawks. I'm very happy with the Nighthawks, but needed something that was fully closed for sound leakage reasons. Not giving up the Nighthawks anytime soon. Very pleased with these so far. Actually don't find them all that different from the Nighthawks, however I've not had much time to listen yet. My pair was missing the non-mic cable. I did have a couple of the eBay cable mentioned a few posts back. I finally got it to seat, but only with quite a bit of force. Do others with the cable have to apply a lot of force to get it to fully insert? Just to clarify the Chinese cable with the screw on 1/4 adaptor.

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #828 of 1,435
Yes I have to force the eBay cable in to the MM400, it's a touch tight but fits fine.

Adam.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #829 of 1,435
I actually find the M2 a little loose and not isolating enough. The mm400 fits very well. It's A smidgen tight, but still comfy, and isolates really well. Man, the dynamics of the denons is amazing. They slam like nothing else. Just bought mine today. I saw a video review of all 3 new denon models, however, and I'm sad to say the 400s look the worst. I really wish the earcups were black or white on the 400. Anyway, the walnut will have to do, and the FANTASTIC sound will take my mind off that in any event.

I think you're the first person I've seen who didn't think the walnut looked awesome! Blasphemy! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #830 of 1,435
Received a pair from Amazon Warehouse Deals today. I was looking for a fully closed complement to my Audioquest Nighthawks. I'm very happy with the Nighthawks, but needed something that was fully closed for sound leakage reasons. Not giving up the Nighthawks anytime soon. Very pleased with these so far. Actually don't find them all that different from the Nighthawks, however I've not had much time to listen yet. My pair was missing the non-mic cable. I did have a couple of the eBay cable mentioned a few posts back. I finally got it to seat, but only with quite a bit of force. Do others with the cable have to apply a lot of force to get it to fully insert? Just to clarify the Chinese cable with the screw on 1/4 adaptor.
When I tested the Nighthawks a couple of months back, I similarly found them of the same sound signature to the AH-MM400. Not bad considering the latter are half the price here in Oz.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #833 of 1,435
I can imagine myself doing the same. Why did you have to repurchase them? Did the first pair die on you?

I sold them in order to purchase some high end IEMs (Westone W60 and JH Angie) as they were more practical for me at the time. I still have them but missed the smoothness and aesthetic appeal of the Denons. Feels good to have them back!

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #834 of 1,435
I sold them in order to purchase some high end IEMs (Westone W60 and JH Angie) as they were more practical for me at the time. I still have them but missed the smoothness and aesthetic appeal of the Denons. Feels good to have them back!
Fair enough. I'm currently on holidays and feeling distressed that they're not in my possession.

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #835 of 1,435
Haha..they'll sound even sweeter once you get them back I bet though.

I'm just griping now because I remember how beneficial but long the burn-in process is to get them to that sweet spot. Ah well, it's worth it.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #837 of 1,435
I'm just griping now because I remember how beneficial but long the burn-in process is to get them to that sweet spot. Ah well, it's worth it.

Interesting - mine don't get a great deal of use but they do seem better than they were when brand new. This hasn't really been apparent with other headphones so I know it's not just me imagining it.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #838 of 1,435
All the demons I've had required long burn in to sound there best, the mm400 where no exception. I remember that my d5000 and 7100 needed over 100+ hours so I didn't hear a difference every time I used them

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #839 of 1,435
Demons eh? Satan doesn't burn them in long enough (apt). Well good luck with your latest demonic possession.

(I suspect a phone auto-wrote some of this for you, given the amount of typos in such a short space.)

ANYWAY I'm only about 20 hours into the MM400, which sounds scooped wrong but strangely utterly delightful, and getting better. I hope some mids arrive soon. If not I'd still enjoy this one a lot. I love the scale of it from near sub bass to great clean highs.

It's pretty much its own thing I'd say. Like super hifi enhanced or the loudness button on old amps. Great for general pop/metal/indie/prog but not ideal for classical (where's the cellos and violas gone?)

Few headphones feel as to nice touch, use, and to wear.

You WILL need to replace the cable though because their one is ridiculously thin and will break internally. Hmmm maybe. Some discussion about that earlier if you are new to this thread. Search mm400 cable. Only a few will fit the oval headphone entry. 6.5 mm is the magic sleeve maximum diameter measurement. People say, "That cable's made in China, so no good. Yes well almost everything is made in China (the world's polluting global factory) from high to low quality. Simply use your mind and choose wisely.

I am rambling. I will stop.
All the demons I've had required long burn in to sound there best, the mm400 where no exception. I remember that my d5000 and 7100 needed over 100+ hours so I didn't hear a difference every time I used them

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #840 of 1,435
Lol damn auto correct got me. I completely agree that there not the best suited for classical, the clarity and instrument seperation could be better, but every time I use this headphones it puts a smile on my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back