Denon AH-MM400
Sep 16, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #751 of 1,435
  Interesting feedback.  The GC20's sounded like subwoofers on my head, so there is a definitely difference.  The GC20's lack in other areas.  I am going to burn them in overnight tonight because I WANT to love them.

My vocabulary for these topics is probably not the best.  I think the definition of smooth is the best.  I say neutral, maybe I meant natural.  They are a fun sound, which is what I like.  I seem to lean toward U or V as people describe them.

I will play with the plug and maybe use the other cable that came with them.  If I don't notice a big jump in bass, maybe I will request a replacement.  When I push the volume on my NuForce, the bass is most certainly there and on par with the P7's.  Better quality to it as well.  To me it seems they are just slightly harder to drive than the P7's and thus have a bit less bass from my iPhone (6 Plus)

Thanks for the feedback!  I will return.

well First I didn't mean you are tedious by posting here, I meant we ALL are.

Okay if the plug is okay then I'd say get replacements - they should sound bottom heavy with silky top end.

And yes natural is a better description - nothing sounds forced on your ears. Neutral is more the Yamaha Mt220 for studio accuracy and not a great listen but many people like it that way. The MM400 is sort of the epitome of the general "hifi" sound but with bass pushed up a little in the deep frequencies, I assume that's to help clarity when out and about as these are portable headphones. I think yours are broken if they don't sound exactly like everyone here is describing.

OR you have the first known case of hearing loss from bass frequencies up.

Not heard the P7 but the MM400 is bassier than my Fidelio X2, and equally relaxed there. Not even close to the depth, punch, articulation, accuracy and fun of the bass of the Blue Mofi which goes lower and somehow makes it all go KERBLAM with a sweet detailed top end - it's an extraordinary headphone. The MM400 is more a delightful bass-rich smooth headphone, but not that good for classical because the mids are not that present. The mids are great for most other things. Not a V or U but a bowl shape, certainly not flat. Natural-ish as you said.

I dunno maybe you are used to super heavy bass headphones like the Sony XB500 which I just bought this week out of curiosty (30 quid? what's to lose?)

Also bought Yamaha Pro 500 which are meant to be bass heavy . They aren't they are mid boxy around 500 too 600 hz and the bass is not deep at all, plus very uncomfortable. I will slag those off over at the Yamaha Pro 500 thread or review.

I have nothing bad to say about the MM400 other than that screw**** oval socket on the earcup which means VERY few after market cables will fit. Has to be under 5.6mm diameter shroud. Manufacturers KEEP doing these stupid proprietary fittings despite us all saying PLEASE STOP doing that - it makes you look like idiots and is LESS likely to make us buy a headphone.

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #752 of 1,435
Thanks for sharing Bark Snarly.  Glad to hear someone else had a similar experience.

I burned the GC20's overnight.  I REALLY want to love them.  Alas it made no difference.  I can't describe it, but they are just TOO bass heavy and while they have the capability of highs, I just don't think they are tuned for my ears.

I played with the plug and I see the "no bass" position you were talking about.  I am definitely fully clicked in.  I think it goes back to what Bark said; it's kind of depends on what you are used to.  These are pretty similar to the P7, which many say are bass heavy and again, I didn't find them bass heavy.  I was looking for something similar with a touch more bass.  The MM400 seem to be that, but not bass heavy to my ears.  Again, maybe my ears are off.  The only things I've heard that seem bass heavy in this range is the GC20.  The Momentum 2 seemed to have more bass, but it wasn't very clean in my opinion.

I didn't bring my P7 today for comparison, but I really think they are quite similar.  They have a slightly different presentation of staging and separation, but after 5 minutes with either they both sound very natural.  The other I find close is the Sony MDR-1ABT, though their treble and mids seem a bit off.  I think they also have about the same bass but not quite as controlled as the MM400.

Amazon is really going to hate me and I might get my Prime account suspended when I return most of these. lol  I am really not aware of another way to select a pair of $400 headphones though.  You need to have them all in hand for a couple weeks to really compare them and understand their nuances to pick.  I think I am ok since I spend thousands with Amazon every year.  They won't want to lose me I hope. :)

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #754 of 1,435
  Thanks for sharing Bark Snarly.  Glad to hear someone else had a similar experience.

I burned the GC20's overnight.  I REALLY want to love them.  Alas it made no difference.  I can't describe it, but they are just TOO bass heavy and while they have the capability of highs, I just don't think they are tuned for my ears.

I played with the plug and I see the "no bass" position you were talking about.  I am definitely fully clicked in.  I think it goes back to what Bark said; it's kind of depends on what you are used to.  These are pretty similar to the P7, which many say are bass heavy and again, I didn't find them bass heavy.  I was looking for something similar with a touch more bass.  The MM400 seem to be that, but not bass heavy to my ears.  Again, maybe my ears are off.  The only things I've heard that seem bass heavy in this range is the GC20.  The Momentum 2 seemed to have more bass, but it wasn't very clean in my opinion.

I didn't bring my P7 today for comparison, but I really think they are quite similar.  They have a slightly different presentation of staging and separation, but after 5 minutes with either they both sound very natural.  The other I find close is the Sony MDR-1ABT, though their treble and mids seem a bit off.  I think they also have about the same bass but not quite as controlled as the MM400.

Amazon is really going to hate me and I might get my Prime account suspended when I return most of these. lol  I am really not aware of another way to select a pair of $400 headphones though.  You need to have them all in hand for a couple weeks to really compare them and understand their nuances to pick.  I think I am ok since I spend thousands with Amazon every year.  They won't want to lose me I hope. :)

Why are we talking about GC20's here on the Denon MM400 thread? Have you been on about a completely different headphone all this time?

Oh, and Amazon don't mind returns (a LOT of returns in my case) so long as you buy a few hundred quid's worth over 6 months, they'll let you return stuff all you like, well within reason - don't order 15 headphones with no intention of buying any. Everything I order I intend to buy but it's just one disappointment after another - latest sad return: Yamaha Pro 500 (horrid boxy mids and terribly uncomfortable). I do not have a Prime account.

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #755 of 1,435
I was simply using the GC20 as another point of comparison.  I bought 5 headphones from Amazon with the intention of keeping 2.  I want another wired set and a new bluetooth set.  So along with the MM400, I bought the QC25 (didn't last long), the GC20 and the MDR-1ABT and the Momentum 2.

I came here to share my thoughts as the MM400 is the one I am keeping.  I was talking about the GC20 mostly because we were talking about bass, and the GC20 is like putting a pair of 12" subwoofers on your head. :)  So when you go from the GC20 to the MM400, the MM400 sounds bass light for a few minutes...

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #756 of 1,435
  I was simply using the GC20 as another point of comparison.  I bought 5 headphones from Amazon with the intention of keeping 2.  I want another wired set and a new bluetooth set.  So along with the MM400, I bought the QC25 (didn't last long), the GC20 and the MDR-1ABT and the Momentum 2.

I came here to share my thoughts as the MM400 is the one I am keeping.  I was talking about the GC20 mostly because we were talking about bass, and the GC20 is like putting a pair of 12" subwoofers on your head. :)  So when you go from the GC20 to the MM400, the MM400 sounds bass light for a few minutes...

okay, no worries I was just a little bemused there.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #757 of 1,435
So after 2-3 weeks, I just boxed up and sent back all the others.  Still really enjoying the MM400.  Listened for a few hours over the weekend on my MacBook through my Dragonfly and it sounded great.  Very happy with these.

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #758 of 1,435
  So after 2-3 weeks, I just boxed up and sent back all the others.  Still really enjoying the MM400.  Listened for a few hours over the weekend on my MacBook through my Dragonfly and it sounded great.  Very happy with these.

Good to hear. Mine are definitely keepers as well. I think the mids could be just a little more forward but it's still a fantastic listen. And every time I pick them up I admire the build quality.

Out of passing interest, what didn't you like about the Momentum? (v2 over ear?). I was considering buying those. Presumably the MM400 is better...

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #759 of 1,435
I am facing a dilemma with these at the moment. I mentioned the below issue previously...

A couple of months ago, I noticed crackling, static & distortion in the right ear cup. I thought I would eliminate possible causes so I swapped out the straight through cable with the one with the remote control. The problem went away. Then I thought I would go back the other way, plugged the original supposedly problematic cable back in, and strangely enough, all 3 issues were gone. It was almost like there was a build up of static in the cable or the earcup. Then last night, the problem returned. I tried the same approach but the problem persisted. I even had a spare 3rd party cable that I tried and the problem was still there. I then woke up today to find they had returned to normal.

I'm trying to eliminate possible causes. Could this be about leaving the headphones next to my pc monitor and external sound card for a few hours? Some sort of interference or build up? An internal wiring issue perhaps? If that is the case though, how could the problem be intermittent? I doubt I have 3 faulty cables.

Apologies for the war and peace but I'm really confused whether to return them. They may arrive at Denon headquarters in Japan without the issue showing itself, in which case the postage costs would turn out to be a waste considering I live in Australia. I don't have the luxury of dealing with my local dealer considering I bought them from offshore. My offshore seller has been kind enough to offer to act as an intermediate between me and Denon.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #760 of 1,435

Good to hear. Mine are definitely keepers as well. I think the mids could be just a little more forward but it's still a fantastic listen. And every time I pick them up I admire the build quality.

Out of passing interest, what didn't you like about the Momentum? (v2 over ear?). I was considering buying those. Presumably the MM400 is better...

Well I bought a second pair of M2's when the price on them dropped.  So I returned the first pair but still have the second pair.  I just put them back on and they are great for hip/hop.  I think they start to get a little bloated and show some sibilance with other material.  Now I am going to continue to compare these.  I wonder if the wife would notice if I kept 3 pair.  I did sell 2 pair. :wink:

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #761 of 1,435
A few more notes after a few more direct comparisons.  The bass is much more controlled on the MM400 and they are a bit more "forward" in their presentation of mids and treble I'd say.  Might be slightly better sound stage too.  Honestly between the P7, M2 and MM400, you can't go wrong in my opinion.  If you only had one, they all sound great.  It's only when you have them all that you can start nit picking the differences.  In general they all have pretty similar signatures though I think.  I don't have the most discerning ears.  More than average, but I have a hard time telling the difference between amps and sources and such.

One small thing that seems trivial but might actually be the driving force behind my sending the M2 back; not sure if it's the plastic cup or what, but when the cord touches my desk and things, I can hear it is a ticking/scratching sound in my right ear.  And that is another small thing; everyone else has the cord coming from the left earcup.  The M2 has it on the right.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #762 of 1,435
I am facing a dilemma with these at the moment. I mentioned the below issue previously...

A couple of months ago, I noticed crackling, static & distortion in the right ear cup. I thought I would eliminate possible causes so I swapped out the straight through cable with the one with the remote control. The problem went away. Then I thought I would go back the other way, plugged the original supposedly problematic cable back in, and strangely enough, all 3 issues were gone. It was almost like there was a build up of static in the cable or the earcup. Then last night, the problem returned. I tried the same approach but the problem persisted. I even had a spare 3rd party cable that I tried and the problem was still there. I then woke up today to find they had returned to normal.

I'm trying to eliminate possible causes. Could this be about leaving the headphones next to my pc monitor and external sound card for a few hours? Some sort of interference or build up? An internal wiring issue perhaps? If that is the case though, how could the problem be intermittent? I doubt I have 3 faulty cables.

Apologies for the war and peace but I'm really confused whether to return them. They may arrive at Denon headquarters in Japan without the issue showing itself, in which case the postage costs would turn out to be a waste considering I live in Australia. I don't have the luxury of dealing with my local dealer considering I bought them from offshore. My offshore seller has been kind enough to offer to act as an intermediate between me and Denon.

As for any static build up, I do not believe that is a good candidate for any cause. Why should that only affect the right driver? And why only your set? Seems a bit unreasonable to me.

Sounds more like a faulty internal cable or female connector. Those are replaceable, but could require some work for the right driver, as the cable is tiny, and passes over the head.

You might also have a defect in the right driver element. Like dirt or a minor defect. Such things sometimes behave as you describe. If you take the set of your head to change the cable, that might in itself shift things just enough to shake things up again. This seems to fit the sonic defects the best. Such flaws might be unfixable.

So for the sound defect you describe, I would look at the driver for defects or dirt. As for how you fix it, it sounds like a cable or terminator/plug issue.

Hope that was of any help. Best of luck.

Sep 22, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #763 of 1,435
As for any static build up, I do not believe that is a good candidate for any cause. Why should that only affect the right driver? And why only your set? Seems a bit unreasonable to me.

Sounds more like a faulty internal cable or female connector. Those are replaceable, but could require some work for the right driver, as the cable is tiny, and passes over the head.

You might also have a defect in the right driver element. Like dirt or a minor defect. Such things sometimes behave as you describe. If you take the set of your head to change the cable, that might in itself shift things just enough to shake things up again. This seems to fit the sonic defects the best. Such flaws might be unfixable.

So for the sound defect you describe, I would look at the driver for defects or dirt. As for how you fix it, it sounds like a cable or terminator/plug issue.

Hope that was of any help. Best of luck.
Thanks for your help. This is very informative. I'll send them away for fixing in that case as I'm not brave enough to open them up myself to attempt to fix them.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #764 of 1,435
Anyone else try this cable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251944630020?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=550815680185&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just got mine (after a month and a half) and it seems to make the left speaker much louder than the right. 

I can't tell if it is a fit issue or a cable issue. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #765 of 1,435
Thanks for your help. This is very informative. I'll send them away for fixing in that case as I'm not brave enough to open them up myself to attempt to fix them.

For what it's worth, I've had a crackling earcup in another pair of headphones caused by a hair pressed right up against the driver in that earcup. Once I removed it there weren't any more problems. Just something you could possibly check before sending them away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back