Denon AH-MM400
Sep 25, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,126 of 1,435
The HM5 pad are really huge and much bigger than the wooden cups and look ridiculous (I tried them). Also, they completely changed the sound signature. The bass was greatly reduced and started to hear less details. Unfortunately the HM5 suffer from the same shortcomings when I put them on MSR7 headphones.

Yeah I noticed this too, Increase the Bass by around 6db and the treble by around 3 db and you should be good, I did this on my Fiio E07k. Although I don't know what Frequencies the adjustments are made to, might have to find out on the Fiio website.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=zh-CN&u=http://fiio.net/en/products/3/parameters&usg=ALkJrhjDlt0h1SpPpj14CO8WAgvcC_eeXQ

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,127 of 1,435
Also, could anyone tell me if this would fit in the headphone port so I could use a different cable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headset-Extender-Distortion-Supporting-Controls-3-5mm-Audio-Cable/dp/B018U8OAJU/ref=pd_lpo_107_bs_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DJTDWGAGDQQP08VH8QQR

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #1,128 of 1,435
If anyone needs to know, the oval opening on the left earcup is 5mm x 7mm. This should definitely be enough the for slimline adapters so you can use any cable with the AH-MM400.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FosPower-Ultra-Slim-4-Conductor-Headphone-Extender/dp/B016E5PEXC/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Link is to such adapter (UK link) 

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,131 of 1,435
  Could you expand on that a little more?

OF course. The MM-400s have a very tight and natural (Not Neutral) Bass. when HA-2's Bass
fucntion added, it gets (a bit) loose, but gets more presence. Works best for pop and EDM.
Of course, i don't recommend this for orchestral music, since the looseness of Bass makes the soundstage crowded, considering it's a set of closed cans. Overall even without HA-2's Bass function, I still prefer MM-400's Bass to those of B&W P7's and Oppo PM-3's. The only con I might have is that the treble gets sometimes harsh (maybe because of younger ears).

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #1,132 of 1,435

OF course. The MM-400s have a very tight and natural (Not Neutral) Bass. when HA-2's Bass
fucntion added, it gets (a bit) loose, but gets more presence. Works best for pop and EDM.
Of course, i don't recommend this for orchestral music, since the looseness of Bass makes the soundstage crowded, considering it's a set of closed cans. Overall even without HA-2's Bass function, I still prefer MM-400's Bass to those of B&W P7's and Oppo PM-3's. The only con I might have is that the treble gets sometimes harsh (maybe because of younger ears).

So is the HA-2 a warm DAP or does it keep things neutral when on default settings. It is a DAP i have considered and am wondering whether it's a good upgrade from my Fiio e07k?

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #1,133 of 1,435

So is the HA-2 a warm DAP or does it keep things neutral when on default settings. It is a DAP i have considered and am wondering whether it's a good upgrade from my Fiio e07k?

The HA-2 has a neutral and linear response without the Bass function. and since it runs on battery, it's very clean-sounding without an Background hisiing. I currently have a Pioneer U-05 (High output impedence) wich costs about 800 euros in Germany, but I prefer the HA-2 because of its cleanness and bass-boost function. if you want sth both portable and desktop, HA-2 is going to beat even the Choed Mojo in Price per performance. I also had the Chord Mojo, but I couldn't justify the price, since there was literally no difference in sound (for me). BTW, get them by somewehere like Amazon and you have the option to simply return them, if you don't like them. However, I can't tell that they are an actuall upgrade to your Fiio (since never had them), but they can handle up to 32bit, 384khz sound files, which The Fiios can't. Still they're worth a try...

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #1,135 of 1,435
You really don't need those files to enjoy the HA2 or similar DACs for their improvement over standard mobile/laptop DACs. Tidal HiFi is good enough for me, ergo, it's good enough for everyone. Yes, I'm that important.

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #1,136 of 1,435
  You really don't need those files to enjoy the HA2 or similar DACs for their improvement over standard mobile/laptop DACs. Tidal HiFi is good enough for me, ergo, it's good enough for everyone. Yes, I'm that important.

Most of my music is in 320kpbs mp3 or 16bit flac anyways. Really just wanted to know whether it's worth paying 3 times what my Fiio cost for me to notice a drastic difference

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,137 of 1,435
  Most of my music is in 320kpbs mp3 or 16bit flac anyways. Really just wanted to know whether it's worth paying 3 times what my Fiio cost for me to notice a drastic difference

Of course not. I personally listen to CD-Rips most of the time. the main reason I got the HA-2 was Bass-boost function and the aesthetics.
Other than that there's no difference between your Fiio or many "audiophile" equipment out there.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #1,138 of 1,435
On to something slightly different, can we make a list of all the replacement earpads that can be fitted to the AH-MM400?

I didn't get on with the stock pads because they were too small and didn't offer much padding. I replaced them with the pads from the PSB M4U1 and they are now much more comfortable. The pads from the Audio-Technica MSR7 have also been mentioned as fitting.

Can we find out some more options?

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,139 of 1,435
  On to something slightly different, can we make a list of all the replacement earpads that can be fitted to the AH-MM400?

I didn't get on with the stock pads because they were too small and didn't offer much padding. I replaced them with the pads from the PSB M4U1 and they are now much more comfortable. The pads from the Audio-Technica MSR7 have also been mentioned as fitting.

Can we find out some more options?

Where can I find pads for PSB M4U1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back