Denon AH-GC20 Headphone Discussion Thread
Mar 26, 2015 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 179

gr8soundz

Headphoneus Supremus
Looks like Denon's answer to Sennheiser's Momentum M2 wireless: The AH-GC20

http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/denon-globe-cruiser-ah-gc20-noise-canceling-headphones/#/4

http://www.ecoustics.com/products/denon-ah-gc20-wireless-headphone/

AH_GC20-cover.jpg

The recent bluetooth/noise-cancelling/portable market is getting crowded quickly.

Specs say up to 20hrs battery life and they fold both up and flat! (for perhaps the smallest travel footprint among these yet), putting them closer to the Momentum than the Definitive Symphony 1. The Denons can work wired in passive mode too.

According to ecoustics.com:
The dual microphone noise cancelling system provides the near elimination of outside sound, and the Bluetooth 4.0 Dual Mode with aptX/aptX Low Latency and AAC combined with the Multi-Point feature gives crystal clear connection to 2 compatible devices simultaneously. The AH-GC20 is also equipped with cVc (Clear Voice Capture), a sophisticated noise reduction system which enhances received audio quality and includes noise suppression, adaptive equalization, automatic gain control, echo cancellation, wind noise reduction and noise dependent volume control. With this technology, the AH-GC20’s are designed to deliver the clearest voice quality even in harsh noisy environments. Voice prompts with seven language options offers a Status of Operation and remaining battery life.

Should be available in a few weeks (April) for around $400.

I'm listening to M2s right now which sound incredible and can't help wonder how the GC20 sounds in comparison. Also wonder if the Denon's ANC is independent and if they have a usb dac mode like the M2 and DS1.

From the pics, they appear solid with (hopefully) Denon's usual great build quality.

ah-gc20-accessories-970x646-c.jpg

UPDATE:
Found some impressions (translate) on Denon's Japanese blog:
http://pr.denon.com/jp/Denon/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=366

And a direct link to the user manual:
http://manuals.denon.com/AHGC20/ALL/EN/download.php?filename=/AHGC20/ALL/EN/pdf/AHGC20_ALL_EN.pdf

Looks like the GC20 has a single, push button/slider for pause/fwd/back (similar to the Momentum M2) and a separate volume rocker.

It also has an assigned switch for the noise cancelling so the ANC can be turned on/off separately.

Specifications

Headphone section 
Type: Dynamic type 
Drive units: 40 mm 
Input impedance: 100 Ω/ohms (Power on) 
Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW 
Maximum input: 1,000 mW 
Playback frequency: 5 – 40,000 Hz 

Bluetooth section 
Compatible standards: Bluetooth 4.0 dual mode 
Transmission power: Max. transmission power 10 mW (Class 1) 
Compatible profiles: A2DP/AVRCP/HSP/HFP A2DP codec support: aptX Low Latency/aptX/AAC/SBC 
Continuous playback time Bluetooth function ON + noise cancellation function ON: Approx. 20 hours 

General 
Operating temperature range: 5 ℃ - 40 ℃ 
Power supply: DC 3.7 V (internal lithium polymer rechargeable battery) 
Weight: 275 g

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 179
They look like a mix of MDR and Zik.
I like them.
I am sure they will be a great addiction to the BT Audio world.
So... Japanese, German, Americans... Who will win?

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 179
I think all the competition is good for us: more choices and continued lower pricing.

Can't wait to hear impressions on these. If they sound as good (or better) with very similar specs, I may return the Momentum M2.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 179
Mar 26, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 179
  I think all the competition is good for us: more choices and continued lower pricing.

I am not sure about the price, I mean, in this moment it seems to me that they are abusing of the BT trend. And the prices are stellar.
But, yes, maybe later on.
Competition is good, yes. I always feel excited when a new headphone comes out. How will compare with the the top ones in my list?
If headphones would be women, I would be polygamist. Or "loyal till a better one comes".

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 179
  I am not sure about the price, I mean, in this moment it seems to me that they are abusing of the BT trend. And the prices are stellar.
But, yes, maybe later on.
Competition is good, yes. I always feel excited when a new headphone comes out. How will compare with the the top ones in my list?
If headphones would be women, I would be polygamist. Or "loyal till a better one comes".

I agree the prices are a bit high but so are the non-bluetooth headphones. Got the M2 over-ear wireless for $395 and they are good, but still feel overpriced.

With more choices though, the prices can only go down.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 179
i really hope they can nail its tunning

good bass, warm, and musical as mainly people who use bluetooth are not using their high end dacs/amps, and just wanna enjoy the sound from their phones mainly

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 179
Interesting!

I've also been searching for ANC bluetooth headphones with good sound quality - the perfect all in one - for use in doors and out and about.

So far tried the Samsung Level Over and Sennheiser Momentum Wireless.

Level Over were comfortable although bulky.
Returned as the bluetooth unit in the right earcup makes a noise - both a high pitch noise for a while, and more annoyingly a clicking noise regularly.

Momentum Wireless I returned because the earcups are too small for my ears (which are 7cm x 3cm approx).
Also the headband wasn't comfortable.

I thought the Definitive Technology Symphony 1 would be the answer, but they may be way too expensive in the UK.
UK distributor is attaching a £395 MSRP, which is ridiculous as the Momentum Wireless retail for £380 direct and I got them for £300 on a very good deal.

Main concern with these Denon's is the round ear cups. I have long ears. I guess if the earcup is large enough it doesn't matter that there's lots of the space on the sides.

Hopefully Symphony 1 or these will do the trick.

Someone should start an ANC bluetooth headphone thread.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 179
@Shinoke, I think they are not round. They seem to me a bit oval. But no idea how big.

Could you post again sour comparison of those Headphones in my thread?
Possibly developing it, with more details about the differences of the sound (bass, mid, highs, detail, soundstage), range, connectivity, ANC, comfort.

About the ANC thread, I think it may be safely be included in my thread and in the High End Bluetooth Headphones one. After all, both threads are for virtually all BT Headphones. Mine with focus on comparisons, the other one with focus on general discussions.
Opening another thread would be dispersive.
IMO.

Coming to the Denon, let's speculate a bit. I was told that Denon tend to be bassy. I have never heard any Denon.
How do you think they will sound?
@gr8soundz, maybe you can post the specs and functions on your first post.
How deep in the lows do they go?
I wonder really, will they be more powerful in the bass than the ATH-WS99BT?
Will they have natural and at same time powerful bass like the ATH, or more flat one, or more boosted one?
Will they be tendencially balanced? V-Shaped? Warm?
Wide soundstage? Fast punchy bass? Deep rumbling sub-bass?

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 179

Coming to the Denon, let's speculate a bit. I was told that Denon tend to be bassy. I have never heard any Denon.
How do you think they will sound?
@gr8soundz, maybe you can post the specs and functions on your first post.
How deep in the lows do they go?
I wonder really, will they be more powerful in the bass than the ATH-WS99BT?
Will they have natural and at same time powerful bass like the ATH, or more flat one, or more boosted one?
Will they be tendencially balanced? V-Shaped? Warm?
Wide soundstage? Fast punchy bass? Deep rumbling sub-bass?

I'm waiting for full specs and info like everyone else.

Hope they sound as good as the M2 since I may return mine due to the bluetooth issues.

Only Denons I have are my old D1001s (pictured in my avatar). So much can change over years; don't want to speculate how the GC20 might sound based off old Denons.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 179
Wrong answer. Let's speculate: I think they will sound gently bass boosted out of the box, something like the Fidelio or UE9000, or even less, like the ATH-WS99BT, but with lot of power with EQ, excellent detail, clarity, with a bit airy soundstage.
I think the mids will be a bit recessed, nt warm like the ATH, and the highs more pronounced than in the ATH.

I have no reasons to think this.
But I like to speculate.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 179
  Wrong answer. Let's speculate: I think they will sound gently bass boosted out of the box, something like the Fidelio or UE9000, or even less, like the ATH-WS99BT, but with lot of power with EQ, excellent detail, clarity, with a bit airy soundstage.
I think the mids will be a bit recessed, nt warm like the ATH, and the highs more pronounced than in the ATH.

I have no reasons to think this.
But I like to speculate.

Denon is known for having glorious bass.  I own 5 of their headphones and love the sound signature above all.  I'll be watching this thread to see how these sound. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 179
That's it!
We "wireless audiophile bassheads" have a dream, and must hope that what the ATH-WS99BT started, will be continued and improved by other headphones.
Although I've just recently bought the ATH I will be happy if the Denon are better.

But you Oregonian, if you have the chance to listen to a ATH-WS99, and you like it, I assume you will like the BT version too.
The bass is amazing, gentle with gentle music, hard with hard music, unforgiven if boosted with EQ.

Tell me, apart for the bass, is there something else which is common among the Denon?
How are generally their mids, highs, soundstage?
I know, each headphone is different.
But so, is there a general tendency?

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 179

Denon is known for having glorious bass.  I own 5 of their headphones and love the sound signature above all.  I'll be watching this thread to see how these sound. 

My D1001s have great bass but far from basshead category.

They're actually more siblant in the treble than most of the recent headphones I've tried. And they're still the lightest, most comfy in my collection.

Thought I might sell them, but can't seem to part with them.

I hope the GC20 follows many of those same traits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back