Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #4,216 of 4,391
Anyone with AKG K702 have or heard side by side the D9200? I want to know if the Denon is better in everything even being a closed back headphone.
I don't think there is a comparison here in reality. The Denons are simply far superior to the AKG. I don't think the K702s will even compete on soundstage. For what you pay for the 702s they are a very good headphone but with the Denons you are really climbing several tiers. FWIW I thought the K550 II were as good as the K702. As an open back the 702s are poor when compared to my Focal Clear MG and that's the level at which the 9200s compete.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #4,217 of 4,391
I don't think there is a comparison here in reality. The Denons are simply far superior to the AKG. I don't think the K702s will even compete on soundstage. For what you pay for the 702s they are a very good headphone but with the Denons you are really climbing several tiers. FWIW I thought the K550 II were as good as the K702. As an open back the 702s are poor when compared to my Focal Clear MG and that's the level at which the 9200s compete.
Fully agree with you as I heard the D9200 before and I liked them. I had the impression that the K702 will have a wider soundstage being an open back headphone. Need to hear them again. And the Sony MDR Z1R if I can as I read about them.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #4,218 of 4,391
Are there any interior or teardown pictures of the 9200? I was looking into whether wood expanding/contracting with temperature and humidity affects headphones (answer: no), and that made me start wondering what's inside a pair of AH-D9200. Thanks!

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #4,219 of 4,391
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #4,220 of 4,391
How will you compare your denon d9200 to focal clear mg?
Which one is better in soundstage, imaging, lows, mids, treble, transparency, fun

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #4,221 of 4,391
I know you didn't ask me, but I have both and can chime in. Two excellent headphones!

Soundstage and imaging are superior on the Clear MG; it is one of the most precise open backs out there. Lows are better on the Denon; it has better extension and texture. Mids are superior on the Clear, much more natural and clean, but Denon D9200 has excellent mids for a closed back, and the best mid-range I have heard on the Denons I have tried. Treble is dealer's choice, Denon is more sparkly and unnatural and fun, Clear MG is more natural, accurate, analytical.

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #4,222 of 4,391
I know you didn't ask me, but I have both and can chime in. Two excellent headphones!

Soundstage and imaging are superior on the Clear MG; it is one of the most precise open backs out there. Lows are better on the Denon; it has better extension and texture. Mids are superior on the Clear, much more natural and clean, but Denon D9200 has excellent mids for a closed back, and the best mid-range I have heard on the Denons I have tried. Treble is dealer's choice, Denon is more sparkly and unnatural and fun, Clear MG is more natural, accurate, analytical.
Do you have mg pro version? Im getting pro version in similar price tag as denon 9200

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #4,226 of 4,391
Are there any interior or teardown pictures of the 9200? I was looking into whether wood expanding/contracting with temperature and humidity affects headphones (answer: no), and that made me start wondering what's inside a pair of AH-D9200. Thanks!
I don't have an answer for the interior of the 9200, but you're wrong about temp and humidity. Wood absorbs and releases water vapor all the time (lifelong woodworker and finisher here). There have been many examples of wood cups becoming out of round because of changes in humidity. Sometimes they do this to the point of not fitting on the headphone anymore. I've seen people put the cups in a plastic bag with some dessicant to get the cups back to their original shape.

If the wood is held tightly in place, and humidity swings are excessive, the wood can crack. Not common, but it is a possibility, especially with woods that aren't very stable to begin with, like the zebrawood found on the D5200. And some woods tend to contract and expand more than others. Oak is an example.

One solution is to use stabilized wood, but this doesn't seem to be a common practice among the manufacturers.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #4,227 of 4,391
How will you compare your denon d9200 to focal clear mg?
Which one is better in soundstage, imaging, lows, mids, treble, transparency, fun
I have roughly the same thoughts as @FuzzyLuck5550 with some slight differences to me personally. Soundstage on the Focals is wider but imaging is very much the same, perhaps more layered on the Denons rather than spaced on the Focals. Mids are a lot closer in my opinion than that of Fuzzy, the Denons can really dig deep and bring out the slightest information here. Both are excellent in their own way with mids but certainly different. Treble, both handle Joni Mitchells wonderful Blue album and her high soprano notes very well and that's enough for me.

I do think the Denons are a little less forgiving with poor recordings than the Focals are and I have some recordings, Haims' Something To Tell You, comes to mind, are just slaughtered by the Denons and are not pleasant. Comfort wise I find both very comfortable and I can wear them for several hours.

I had the Focal Radiance for around ten days as I'm still looking for something to complement the Denons in the closed back category. I couldn't live with them as they fell far short of the Denons or indeed their stable mate the Clears. If I had to have just one pair of headphones then I would be more than happy with the Denons and they would be my choice over the Focals but that is simply for the need to use closed backs more. Luckily I don't have to pick and I think I've got two good headphones that compliment each other for what they are designed for.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #4,228 of 4,391
I don't have an answer for the interior of the 9200, but you're wrong about temp and humidity. Wood absorbs and releases water vapor all the time (lifelong woodworker and finisher here). There have been many examples of wood cups becoming out of round because of changes in humidity. Sometimes they do this to the point of not fitting on the headphone anymore. I've seen people put the cups in a plastic bag with some dessicant to get the cups back to their original shape.

If the wood is held tightly in place, and humidity swings are excessive, the wood can crack. Not common, but it is a possibility, especially with woods that aren't very stable to begin with, like the zebrawood found on the D5200. And some woods tend to contract and expand more than others. Oak is an example.

One solution is to use stabilized wood, but this doesn't seem to be a common practice among the manufacturers.
Good points, thanks. Wood absolutely responds to changes in temp or humidity, what I should have said was: Anecdotally, there are not a lot of reports of headphones suffering from serious issues due to this, and the 9200 may be more impervious than most as it’s made of bamboo. But you’re right, good catch.

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #4,229 of 4,391
Good points, thanks. Wood absolutely responds to changes in temp or humidity, what I should have said was: Anecdotally, there are not a lot of reports of headphones suffering from serious issues due to this, and the 9200 may be more impervious than most as it’s made of bamboo. But you’re right, good catch.
And you're right about the laminated bamboo in the 9200. It should be more stable than most solid woods. Some don't like the look of it, but that's an individual taste sort of thing. Denon can't be faulted for choosing laminated bamboo when considering the long term stability of the backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back