Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #4,066 of 4,391
I see that Denons went up in price quite a bit. With the discount I was able to snatch new D7200 for slightly more than 300 EUR. Both 7200/9200 are very good HP's and suitable for various genres.

At the time D7200 was easily trading blows against ZMF atticus, Focal Radiance for a fraction of their price. Would personally take D9200 instead of Stellia with the heartbeat. Treble on 9200 can be slightly tiring, but you can easily fix it with EQ or warmer source.

Personally D7200 already sits above HD650 as more detailed, faster sounding headphone with better bass. Stage/mid's goes to HD650, but I simply don't care for stage size on headphones. With new pricing D7200/9200 lost value punch, but if you can snatch a good deal on them or grab used ones it wont disappoint.

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #4,067 of 4,391
I see that Denons went up in price quite a bit. With the discount I was able to snatch new D7200 for slightly more than 300 EUR. Both 7200/9200 are very good HP's and suitable for various genres.

At the time D7200 was easily trading blows against ZMF atticus, Focal Radiance for a fraction of their price. Would personally take D9200 instead of Stellia with the heartbeat. Treble on 9200 can be slightly tiring, but you can easily fix it with EQ or warmer source.

Personally D7200 already sits above HD650 as more detailed, faster sounding headphone with better bass. Stage/mid's goes to HD650, but I simply don't care for stage size on headphones. With new pricing D7200/9200 lost value punch, but if you can snatch a good deal on them or grab used ones it wont disappoint.
They are on sale on many places in UK, but I personally wait for a even better deal, or go with the z1r. But ideally would like to try them first.

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #4,068 of 4,391
They are on sale on many places in UK, but I personally wait for a even better deal, or go with the z1r. But ideally would like to try them first.

I haven't heard Z1R, but recently had a chance to listen to Beyerdynamic T5.3 vs D7200. Beyer slightly more spacious with bigger midbass, the rest goes to 7200 and Beyer is going back for a refund.

There are not too many great options in closed back HP market, but Denon confidently sits there. D9200 is technically better than 7200, but I couldn't listen to it for long hours as treble energy demands your attention so 9200 was sold to fund Utopia which I use when in a need for a doze of dopamine while listening to selected albums/music. With 7200 it's just press play and enjoy, sounds very alike to a good turntable setup

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #4,069 of 4,391
I haven't heard Z1R, but recently had a chance to listen to Beyerdynamic T5.3 vs D7200. Beyer slightly more spacious with bigger midbass, the rest goes to 7200 and Beyer is going back for a refund.

There are not too many great options in closed back HP market, but Denon confidently sits there. D9200 is technically better than 7200, but I couldn't listen to it for long hours as treble energy demands your attention so 9200 was sold to fund Utopia which I use when in a need for a doze of dopamine while listening to selected albums/music. With 7200 it's just press play and enjoy, sounds very alike to a good turntable setup

Fully agree, D7200 can become extremely competent once you use custom cable with silver in it.
It is known trick that you can swap pure copper cable D7200 and use in on D9200 and the silver/copper cable use on D7200, this fix both headphones sound.
D7200 becomes brighter as needed and D9200 a bit darker (as many might prefer).

If you able to use a bit of EQ settings the D7200 become completely different set with this highly addictive sound.
Using them daily and every time I put them on they do not fail to impress. Also some users confirmed they let go 9200 for D7200.
All depends on preference. On my Denon PMA-800 they sound like pure vintage nirvana.
One user thanked me that by using the proposed EQ settings he upgraded his set to a different league set.

There are further ways to improve / alter their sound by custom damping, replacing cups, inner wiring or also using different pads.
The quality / price ration is insane!

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #4,070 of 4,391
Peter Tyson will soon have an Open-Box AH-D9200 for sale.... :wink:

I would have to admit it wasn't as bad as the truly infamous AH-D7100 of about 10 year ago.

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #4,071 of 4,391
I would say D600 and D7100 were quite disappointment although they were ok. Still not enough to keep them.

On the other hand just now listening to the MM400 and that is different animal... they are very natural / balanced with fantastic timbre.
They are very fast and love complex music. Same as the other Denon's sets they also have this nice warmth and greatly textured bass.
They do not sound much with normal recordings but throw in something lossless and complex then these slap you cross the face with their
capability.

I would say these are great alternatives to D9200 flagship:

* MM400 - portable and cheap version of D9200, great all-rounder

* Penon Serial - iem version of D7200 / D9200

If you get a chance try them, you wont regret.

Oct 17, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #4,072 of 4,391
I vote for option one!
80d3c4d942b268fcdb78322fddfdca7a.jpg
... maybe you need two lemons for the D9200 :sunglasses:

The D9200 sounds nice on my Hiby R3 Pro Saber DAP up to the TT2. But I still eagerly promote the Questyle CMA 400i (less then 800$) for pairing with the D9200, but thats my perference. In my opinion you get the magic of the D9200 on almost all DAC/amp combinations, but you can intensify this with certain combos to some degree.
Just spotted a CMA 400i for sale, very tempted. I’m running a Violectric V280 which I find only fills out the sound at higher volume, which is not ideal. Sound is surprisingly lean at lower volume, suppose you could say accurate, certainly high resolution, but maybe not too much fun. I prefer the sound on vintage units normally, wondering if the 400i could be a bit sweeter/thicker in tone.

Oct 18, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #4,073 of 4,391
Just spotted a CMA 400i for sale, very tempted. I’m running a Violectric V280 which I find only fills out the sound at higher volume, which is not ideal. Sound is surprisingly lean at lower volume, suppose you could say accurate, certainly high resolution, but maybe not too much fun. I prefer the sound on vintage units normally, wondering if the 400i could be a bit sweeter/thicker in tone.
The 400i might be a good candidate for the qualities you are looking for. In my opinion, it has an very impactful yet slightly bloomy (mid-)bass presentation that can also be found in vintage gear, regardless of volume level. I do not have my Violectric V281 shoebox anymore, but the current V226 with very similar amplification section: the 400i sounds little more intimate through the more omnipresent bass, so 'lean' is not a characteristic I would attribute to the Questyle at all:sunglasses:
In fact, the 400i is still one of my favorite pairings with the D9200.

Oct 18, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #4,074 of 4,391
The 400i might be a good candidate for the qualities you are looking for. In my opinion, it has an very impactful yet slightly bloomy (mid-)bass presentation that can also be found in vintage gear, regardless of volume level. I do not have my Violectric V281 shoebox anymore, but the current V226 with very similar amplification section: the 400i sounds little more intimate through the more omnipresent bass, so 'lean' is not a characteristic I would attribute to the Questyle at all:sunglasses:
In fact, the 400i is still one of my favorite pairings with the D9200.
Very much appreciate the response, will look to try the Q!

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #4,075 of 4,391
My Arctic Magnus cable for these arrived yesterday. Loving this combo so far!

IMG_8712.jpeg

Nov 1, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #4,079 of 4,391
I’ve decided to sell my pair… not that I don’t like them anymore, but since I fell for the Composer I need to reduce headcount again. Can’t put them up for sale here since I don’t use PayPal, but if anyone’s interested PM me. Maybe some kind of direct handover is possible.
Hard decision… they’re really nice…

IMG_1823.jpegIMG_1819.jpeg

Nov 1, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #4,080 of 4,391
I’ve decided to sell my pair… not that I don’t like them anymore, but since I fell for the Composer I need to reduce headcount again. Can’t put them up for sale here since I don’t use PayPal, but if anyone’s interested PM me. Maybe some kind of direct handover is possible.
Hard decision… they’re really nice…

Don't worry Plakat. I sold mine via bank transfer here. If you have some positive votes in other places you can give that to the buyer. There is one guy I've just seen in the classifieds which are looking for one in Europe (here).

At the end, you were convinced by those Composers... Maybe because they are your compatriots :relieved: Very expensive cans... You hug again the multibuck territory... And I think they are openback, no?

Anyway, GLWYS :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back