Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #3,316 of 4,391
This sounds like the single ended output on the Qudelix is simply not very well executed… sold mine long ago due to its not very impressive sound but never tried its symmetric output — I really prefer single ended though, so that would not have kept me from selling it.

I mostly use my D9200 with the Beyerdynamic Impacto, works very well. So it’s not about output power, the D9200 is quite efficient and easy to drive.

I figured out what was wrong with the SE output on it. When the Q5k AMP mode is set to Balanced 2.5 instead of auto, it makes the 3.5 sound terrible. Switching it to auto fixed it. I don't recall ever setting it to balanced, but might have accidentally.

Jul 16, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #3,317 of 4,391
Virtually every other device I've had, with the 9200 but also with other headphones.

To my ears even the simple Apple dongle has a fuller, more pleasant and less harsh sound in the highs than Qudelix.

Interesting. Hard to account for what different folks hear.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't pass an ABX test between the Q5k, DX3Pro+ and RME ADI-2 DAC FS. They all sound excellent, and the same to my ear when I listen flat or with the same EQs loaded. Makes sense as they all are designed to be have flat response and be uncolored. Whatever I don't like, I EQ.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #3,318 of 4,391
I figured out what was wrong with the SE output on it. When the Q5k AMP mode is set to Balanced 2.5 instead of auto, it makes the 3.5 sound terrible. Switching it to auto fixed it. I don't recall ever setting it to balanced, but might have accidentally.
I did not check that setting, but I did not get chopped audio or similar. It was just to lean for my taste, I much prefer a touch of warmth and bass with some presence and authority

Jul 17, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #3,319 of 4,391
I did not check that setting, but I did not get chopped audio or similar. It was just to lean for my taste, I much prefer a touch of warmth and bass with some presence and authority
What do you use that you like?

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #3,322 of 4,391
This typically indicates the Qudelix doesn't have adequate power for your needs. What headphones do you use?
I've entries the Qudelix with my N8 CIEM, the M-100, The Austrian Audio Hi-X55 (which is on the leaner side of things itself) and probably some others I don't remember. But I don't own any power hungry models: I don't like most planars and have stripped down my collection to models that work with mobile sources over the past few years.
So yes, insufficient power may produce these results, but I doubt that this was the case here. The ES100 is much more to my taste with each and every headphone I tried it with, and I don't think its more powerful than the Qudelix. I don't think I've tried either one with the D9200 btw., the only model I now own that seems to work not that well with the Apple dongle.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #3,324 of 4,391
Does anyone know where you can buy these from an authorized US dealer without getting hit with sales tax? I wanted to buy straight from Denon with the 60 day return period just in case but that tax tho...

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #3,325 of 4,391
Does anyone know where you can buy these from an authorized US dealer without getting hit with sales tax? I wanted to buy straight from Denon with the 60 day return period just in case but that tax tho...
I don't know anywhere like that. Buying from them direct really is your best value. Just think of the tax as a charge for the luxury of being able to return easily. They say they even pay return shipping if you need it.

If you did find a place that would sell without sales tax, they probably wouldn't take returns, which is a bigger risk.

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #3,326 of 4,391
Moon Audio didn't charge me tax on mine...

1658882341757.png

1658882433540.png

Attachments

• 1658882123611.png
    1658882123611.png
    239.6 KB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #3,327 of 4,391
I see Moon Audio has a 30 Day Return Window and a 10% restocking fee. It's definitely something to consider, thank you for the information above. Since I never heard these before, I'm buying blindly solely from the contributions to this thread along with my experience with past Denon/Fostex headphones. I'd say I'm 90% sure I'll keep these after purchase.

Has anyone tried the ZMF Pilot Pad for additional headband comfort and protection? If so, is it a good fit?

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #3,328 of 4,391
Yeah...I was sure I was going to keep them. So my thoughts were more about best overall price from an Authorized Dealer. For returns, I believe they'll waive the restocking fee if you take a store credit instead of asking for a refund. If that's an option, then maybe you can save a little $$$ :wink:

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #3,329 of 4,391
Has anyone tried the ZMF Pilot Pad for additional headband comfort and protection? If so, is it a good fit?

Got my hopes up on this one! I hadn't heard of Pilot Pad, but the only thing stopping me from buying 9200 again is the earpads have a square cutout which my ears don't entirely fit into. Was thinking maybe someone finally released an official earpad replacement, but looks as though the quest continues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back