Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #3,287 of 4,391
Based on your opinions, the 9200s are a truly "Sound Science" headphones... No matter the DAC/AMP they will sound the same :relieved:
Yawn.... Funny this thread has been around a gazillion years, just like the D9200 and all of this stuff resurfaces periodically. I am very certain I am regurgitating the same no need for amps and sound great with every DAP

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #3,288 of 4,391
Is Denon direct still the only way to get oem pads? I called my local Denon dealer today asking if they could get pads. All I heard was a long period of silence... followed by a, "I don't remember the last time someone called looking for ear pads."

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #3,289 of 4,391
Is Denon direct still the only way to get oem pads? I called my local Denon dealer today asking if they could get pads. All I heard was a long period of silence... followed by a, "I don't remember the last time someone called looking for ear pads."
Yep. Encompass ensured me that this is the part. Despite it saying "driver."
https://encompass.com/item/12583401/Denon/917409101200S/

They really make it as hard as possible to get them. They also say "out of stock" all the time.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #3,290 of 4,391
Jul 2, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #3,291 of 4,391
Thanks!

In the year 2045, I bet we'll be fashioning crude pad mounting rings out of rusted car parts in a post-apocalyptic wasteland for this thing.
Ha. Yeah. I just bought it about a month back and was surprised when they didn't have parts on hand for a currently shipping unit at this price point.

Sadly Dekoni doesn't have proper pads for it either which is a real shame. I'd love to try a hybrid pad for it if it existed.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #3,292 of 4,391
I'm just concerned with finding pads in a year or two down the line. The D9200 is one I'm planning on keeping long-term...

I feel like I have to treat it like it's one of a kind.

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #3,293 of 4,391
I'm just concerned with finding pads in a year or two down the line. The D9200 is one I'm planning on keeping long-term...

Yup. That's why I'm want to buy pads for a brand new pair of headphones. They are insanely good.

If you told me I could only keep one pair of phones it would be the D9200.

They're on my head right now.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #3,294 of 4,391

They are engineered leather super soft, but still leather, so keep them clean wipe them down with a good leather cleaner every week, and use a conditioner every month, like leather honey. And they will last for decades.

Jul 4, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,295 of 4,391
Hey All, read through 90% of this thread and have currently come down to choosing between the 9200 and Z1R.
My case use is:
  • home set up at my desk specifically so I don't have a lot of room to work with unfortunately.
  • looking for "all rounder" Closed Back HP for Music, movies, gaming.
  • I would like something that has the largest sound stage as possible for a Closed Back (when gaming I don't want the sound to bleed into the mic).
  • Not into analytical or studio mixing sound.
  • Enjoy a warmer, rich, lush sound.
  • Enjoy a realistic, holographic or immersive 3d sound.
  • Harman Curves are nice to look at, but I enjoy sound with my ears.
  • Cost is not an object here.
  • While I am 90% "sold" on either the 9200 and Z1R., I am clearly open to other suggestions, just needing Closed Back.
  • While I have used balance cable before, I am not "married" to them
Questions:
I own the Z7's today (which I like very much), running balance of an older Cayin dap, would I be ill advised to step up to the Z1Rs, meaning is it too similar in sound?

Since this is for home use only my source will be my laptop using Amazon HD Music / Tidal (for the MQA audio) to either:
  • Burson Playmate 2 with Viivid V6 Op Amp (the separate mic input is a plus)
  • Burson Conductor 3 (the separate mic input is a plus)
  • FIIO M17
  • Cayin N8ii
  • Hiby R8
  • NW-WM1ZM2 (I know its still pre-order)
  • Do after market cable like Black Dragons offer any substantial gains, or is this "snake oil"?

Thanks all,
Eric

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #3,296 of 4,391
Hey All, read through 90% of this thread and have currently come down to choosing between the 9200 and Z1R.
My case use is:
  • home set up at my desk specifically so I don't have a lot of room to work with unfortunately.
  • looking for "all rounder" Closed Back HP for Music, movies, gaming.
  • I would like something that has the largest sound stage as possible for a Closed Back (when gaming I don't want the sound to bleed into the mic).
  • Not into analytical or studio mixing sound.
  • Enjoy a warmer, rich, lush sound.
  • Enjoy a realistic, holographic or immersive 3d sound.
  • Harman Curves are nice to look at, but I enjoy sound with my ears.
  • Cost is not an object here.
  • While I am 90% "sold" on either the 9200 and Z1R., I am clearly open to other suggestions, just needing Closed Back.
  • While I have used balance cable before, I am not "married" to them
Questions:
I own the Z7's today (which I like very much), running balance of an older Cayin dap, would I be ill advised to step up to the Z1Rs, meaning is it too similar in sound?

Since this is for home use only my source will be my laptop using Amazon HD Music / Tidal (for the MQA audio) to either:
  • Burson Playmate 2 with Viivid V6 Op Amp (the separate mic input is a plus)
  • Burson Conductor 3 (the separate mic input is a plus)
  • FIIO M17
  • Cayin N8ii
  • Hiby R8
  • NW-WM1ZM2 (I know its still pre-order)
  • Do after market cable like Black Dragons offer any substantial gains, or is this "snake oil"?

Thanks all,
Eric
Fancy cables are fancy! That's about it. They can have a placebo effect for many people. *Flamesuit on*
https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/06/do-expensive-cables-really-matter/

If you're in to spacious sound when gaming, I highly recommend picking up a Soundblaster G6 just for gaming. (Note: You'll need to use optical cables to get the 5.1 signal to the G6.) If you game on a PS5, the Dolby 5.1 is far superior to the Sony Tempest 3D sound. You'll get real positional sound, without all the strange frequency side affects of Tempest. No matter what you spend on a gaming dac/amp it's never going to sound as good as an inexpensive one that can virtualize 5.1 when a 5.1 signal is available. The G6 also has a mic in, though with most setups you have options there (USB, or controller 3.5mm).

I use an RME ADI-2 for music and the G6 for gaming. Its virtual 5.1 creates an immersive positional soundstage that is awesome on audiophile cans. I use it with the D9200. I only use the ADI-2 for games that don't have 5.1 audio.

Good example is Cyberpunk 2077. I went from listening to what sounded like a stereo recording of a city street, to being on a city street, surrounded by ambient sounds.

If you like a very specific type of sound as you do. You mentioned full and rich. I'd also consider the ADI-2. You can EQ it to sound like whatever you want. I like a warm rich sound myself and have achieved just what I wanted with it. Fair warning, it takes a lot of reading and tinkering with settings to dial in, but puts you in total control of your sound. I ditched Peace/APO for it.

The G6 also has an EQ and bevy of sound tailoring capabilities that are more than suitable to dialing in your gaming audio.

Also worth mentioning for gaming are the HD800S. A lot of audiophile headphone fans say they are a top pick for gaming if you use 5.1 due to their large soundstage. Supposedly they represent positional sound very well. It is not a warm headphone, so would require EQ for me. I'm looking into getting a pair just for gaming.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #3,297 of 4,391
Do after market cable like Black Dragons offer any substantial gains, or is this "snake oil"?

Just to address this one, some cables will affect or improve the sound. But just because a cable is pricey doesn't necessarily mean the change will be to your preference, or that it will be to a degree where it is even noticeable depending on the rest of your setup.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #3,299 of 4,391
@Sproketz

I use a win 11 pro laptop, some not sure if the best way to get the sound to the G6, obviously optical is not the option. Only thing I can think of is USB.
Would this RME ADI2 be the one you were thinking of - https://www.amazon.com/RME-Converter-ADI-2-DAC-FS/dp/B081CWQXGD

@msing539

What cable would you recommend?

Eric
Since it's not directly related to the D9200, I'll pm you.

Edit: Or are you referring to a cable for the D9200? If so, some members have discussed options previously: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/denon-ah-d9200-2018-flagship-impressions-thread.882028/post-16761171

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #3,300 of 4,391
@Sproketz

I use a win 11 pro laptop, some not sure if the best way to get the sound to the G6, obviously optical is not the option. Only thing I can think of is USB.
Would this RME ADI2 be the one you were thinking of - https://www.amazon.com/RME-Converter-ADI-2-DAC-FS/dp/B081CWQXGD

@msing539

Eric

@Sproketz

@msing539

Eric

USB won't transfer the 5.1 signal to the G6 unfortunately. The D9200 is very easy to drive, you might get good results gaming just plugging it in to the laptop and using DTS Headphone X.

You might also be able to go 3.5mm into an amp using the laptop DAC if you need amplification. I've never tried this though.

That is the RME ADI-2 FS. I got it from RME directly. They will take returns for any reason in the event you don't like it. https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-dac.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back