Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #2,688 of 4,391
Thanks! Really trying to decide between these and the ATH-AWKT, trying to keep my endgame finalist strictly Japanese.
Do you like a full, balanced sound with deep bass or a detailed, open, airy sound with layered bass?

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #2,692 of 4,391
Detailed, open, airy sound with layered bass is exactly what I'm after. But I also listen to rap music alot so the bass shouldn't let me down, that's all.
Open and airy isn't really like i'd describe the D9200 but you won't find that in closed backs unless it comes with major drawbacks like artificially inflated and thinned out stages like the TH900. The 9200 doesn't even try to sound airy and open and accepts that it's a closed back which i always found very nice.

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #2,693 of 4,391
Detailed, open, airy sound with layered bass is exactly what I'm after. But I also listen to rap music alot so the bass shouldn't let me down, that's all.
That’s definitely more of the AWKT’s sound. I owned a set, BUT when it came bringing the goods with rap, EDM and bass heavy music the AWKT’s lagged behind my Z1R’s and LCD-XC’s by a considerable margin.

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #2,694 of 4,391
Open and airy isn't really like i'd describe the D9200 but you won't find that in closed backs unless it comes with major drawbacks like artificially inflated and thinned out stages like the TH900. The 9200 doesn't even try to sound airy and open and accepts that it's a closed back which i always found very nice.
I have a set the HE-R10P’s. Now that I’ve logged a few hours on it the sonic traits of this headphone is outstanding. It still sounds like a closed headphone but its open, detailed, fast, the bass is hits hard and deep with superb definition. I just haven’t heard this level of performance from any other closed back headphone.

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #2,696 of 4,391
How does the AH-D9200 perform with just a dap? I'm gonna have to blind buy one and I don't feel like spending on amps at the moment..

In my opinion you don't need a very powerful source. It works very well with my AK380SS without the amp module.
Bass is still powerful, yet clear and defined. You will be able to discern source quality, they are very detailed and transparent. Not aggressively so though.

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #2,698 of 4,391
Hi All,

I sold my WM1Z as I couldn’t justify keeping such an amazing DAP - could usethe money more right now,

Any suggestions for a portable or desktop DAC/AMP for these? Around 300 USD max. I’m considering the K5 Pro or FiiO Q3.
As others have said, they're easy to drive. Even a dongle should do. I used to use them with an LG phone, and that worked well. Cheap DAC/amps I've used them with are the Topping DX3 Pro, Grace M9xx/M900 and Chord Mojo. I've been happy with all of them, but maybe I'm easy to satisfy :)

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #2,699 of 4,391
You'll get detail and clarity with both the ATH-AWKT and the AH-D9200; however, the Audio-Technica has slightly better technical chops. Resolution on the ATH-AWKT is fantastic.

The ATH-AWKT is also airier in its treble presentation. However, it lacks body and warmth; here, the Denon sounds a tad fuller and richer in tone.

The bass on the AH-D9200 is a rung or 2 above the ATH-AWKT; the separation and articulation on the Denon is top-notch. Plus, it has a more robust mid-bass punch, so you won't be coming out of your listening session feeling that the lows are lacking.

Jul 30, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,700 of 4,391
You'll get detail and clarity with both the ATH-AWKT and the AH-D9200; however, the Audio-Technica has slightly better technical chops. Resolution on the ATH-AWKT is fantastic.

The ATH-AWKT is also airier in its treble presentation. However, it lacks body and warmth; here, the Denon sounds a tad fuller and richer in tone.

The bass on the AH-D9200 is a rung or 2 above the ATH-AWKT; the separation and articulation on the Denon is top-notch. Plus, it has a more robust mid-bass punch, so you won't be coming out of your listening session feeling that the lows are lacking.
This is interesting. Ahhh I hate having so many great choices. I get FOMO. Will I be missing out if I don't go all out and get the Utopia instead? If the D9200 can give me atleast 80% of what the Utopia does, then it's a no brainer for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back