Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #2,161 of 4,391
Thank you for your detailed answer, by curiosity did you listen to Sundara ?

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #2,162 of 4,391
Sorry.
Never had the opportunity to listen to them.

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #2,163 of 4,391
@Chris Kaoss, this afternoon I listened to the entire Nightwish - Wishmaster album (and now I remember @Wishmaker, I hope his 9200 orgasms are still happening :wink: ) and I found really impressive with the 9200s. I love the bass (drums and cymbals), specially the sub-bass section, and the vocals. The only issue I had was with electric guitars, but only when Tarja was singing that the guitars seems to be not so present in respect from what I had perceived with other headphones, I could hear them but they are at the backward. When Tarja was not singing the electric guitar sound is exceptional. The keyboards are also very good.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #2,164 of 4,391
@Chris Kaoss, this afternoon I listened to the entire Nightwish - Wishmaster album (and now I remember @Wishmaker, I hope his 9200 orgasms are still happening :wink: ) and I found really impressive with the 9200s. I love the bass (drums and cymbals), specially the sub-bass section, and the vocals. The only issue I had was with electric guitars, but only when Tarja was singing that the guitars seems to be not so present in respect from what I had perceived with other headphones, I could hear them but they are at the backward. When Tarja was not singing the electric guitar sound is exceptional. The keyboards are also very good.
Glad you did it. :)
Very interesting.
Wonder bout your chain for this listening.

Might you point me to the flaws you've encountered?

After your post i had a listen to
(all Flac files 16/44.1, offline)

She is my sin, The Kinslayer, Come cover me, Wanderlust, Wishmaster and Crownless from Wishmaster (2000)
Sacrament of wilderness, Stargazers, Devil & the deep dark ocean from Oceanborn (1998)
Over the hills and far away, 10th man down, Wishmaster live from Over the hills and far away (2001)
Dark chest of wonders, Romanticide, Wish i had an Angel, Nemo and Planet Hell from Once (2004)

The e-guitar (Emppu) was always there.
But with a slightly different layering between the D9200 and the Era-1.

What i can say is the D9200 delivers a more authentic presentation of the guitar than the Era-1, which has a more pleasant sounding for longer listening and more body.
But damn, that Denon is shredding like hell. :heart_eyes: Love it.

My chain is
Surface Pro 7 > PotPlayer (Wasapi) > Usb > Chord Mojo > FAW Noir Hybrid > D9200/ Quad Era-1

Thank you so much for make me listen to, Terriero. :L3000:

Next stop Nightwish - Decades live in Buenos Aires (BluRay) through the R28. ^^

Have fun guys and keep listening. :metal:

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #2,165 of 4,391
D9200 ordered 😊
Now all that remains is what do I pair them with?
Would the Lotoo PAW S1 be good enough for the Denon or should I get the likes of HiBy R8, Ibasso Dx300 or the M8 to get the best sound/headroom possible?
Can't decide as I know the D9200 are easily driven, but don't know if they scale up (noticeable improvement?) with better/higher end dap...

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #2,166 of 4,391
D9200 ordered 😊
Would the Lotoo PAW S1 be good enough for the Denon or should I get the likes of HiBy R8, Ibasso Dx300 or the M8 to get the best sound/headroom possible?
Can't decide as I known the D9200 are easily driven, but don't know if they scale up (noticeable improvement?) with better/higher end dap...

As for me, I highly recommend the Burson Soloist 3XP

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #2,167 of 4,391
D9200 ordered 😊
Can't decide as I known the D9200 are easily driven, but don't know if they scale up (noticeable improvement?) with better/higher end dap...
A neutral to warm sounding device is the best way, imo. :)

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #2,168 of 4,391
Glad you did it. :)
Very interesting.
Wonder bout your chain for this listening.

Might you point me to the flaws you've encountered?

After your post i had a listen to
(all Flac files 16/44.1, offline)

She is my sin, The Kinslayer, Come cover me, Wanderlust, Wishmaster and Crownless from Wishmaster (2000)
Sacrament of wilderness, Stargazers, Devil & the deep dark ocean from Oceanborn (1998)
Over the hills and far away, 10th man down, Wishmaster live from Over the hills and far away (2001)
Dark chest of wonders, Romanticide, Wish i had an Angel, Nemo and Planet Hell from Once (2004)

The e-guitar (Emppu) was always there.
But with a slightly different layering between the D9200 and the Era-1.

What i can say is the D9200 delivers a more authentic presentation of the guitar than the Era-1, which has a more pleasant sounding for longer listening and more body.
But damn, that Denon is shredding like hell. :heart_eyes: Love it.

My chain is
Surface Pro 7 > PotPlayer (Wasapi) > Usb > Chord Mojo > FAW Noir Hybrid > D9200/ Quad Era-1

Thank you so much for make me listen to, Terriero. :L3000:

Next stop Nightwish - Decades live in Buenos Aires (BluRay) through the R28. ^^

Have fun guys and keep listening. :metal:
Sorry, I have repeated a lot my source in the forum and I thought that I've once wrote that here. I use Foobar 2000 with ASIO plugin and Asus Xonar Essence One DAC/AMP via USB. I know that a new DAC an AMP will better my experience and I'm investigating about (I'm sure that the AMP will be a Flux lab, FA 10 or 12 or the new to come Volot, but have to find a good DAC, not so expensive, to pair with it).

Now I'm listening to "Once" and enjoying a lot :L3000:

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #2,169 of 4,391
D9200 ordered 😊
Can't decide as I know the D9200 are easily driven, but don't know if they scale up (noticeable improvement?) with better/higher end dap...

The PAW S1 has a rather intimate, warm and punchy signature. Very enjoyable, but i would personally prefer something more neutral to go with the D9200. However, it doesn't matter too much anyway, the D9200 sounds great with any decent source. The least demanding high-fi headphone i ever had.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #2,170 of 4,391
Take a look at the Quad Era-1. :wink:

I know, i'm rephrasing this so many times.
But for me, it's a fact. ^^
Well, i know of the existing mental bias, but want do keep my head as clear as possible.

If you're on the hunt for musical enjoyment and well balanced sound on an open back headphone, just have an audition to this headphone.

You've nothing to lose and maybe so much to gain. :)

Good luck on your journey.
Hi,are the quad era easy to drive?.Would the dragonfly cobalt work with them?

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #2,171 of 4,391
Hi,are the quad era easy to drive?.Would the dragonfly cobalt work with them?
Sounds promising.
The DFC delivers 2.1v at ???. (Not mentioned)
So it looks like an easy task with the Quad (20ohm / 94db/mW).

Tested with my BTR5 ( 1,6V/ 80mW at 32ohm single ended), which drives them at level 40 out of 60 in high gain quite well.
With the D9200, i can't go higher than 32 out of 60 out of the se-out.

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #2,172 of 4,391
D9200 ordered 😊
If you're going down the portable route, I think most of the top-end DAPs from manufacturers such as Hiby (e.g. R6 2020, R8), FiiO (e.g. M15), iBasso (e.g. DX220, DX300) and Shanling (e.g. M8) should have no issues powering the AH-D9200; it's not a particularly difficult-to-drive headphone (105 dB / mW - 24 Ω).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #2,173 of 4,391
Thanks for your replies everyone.
I'd like to go down the portable route for the moment yes.
I understand that the D9200 are quite easy to drive for all the DAPs mentioned, and that's it's more about which one would have the best synergy if I go down that route.
But what is really difficult for me to grab is what kind of improvement would I get (if any) from a dongle dac/Amp (or entry level DAPs) to the top end DAPs, as they don't need a powerful driver.
Well what I'm currently pondering about is "do the D9200 need top end DAPs to sound the best? Would I get more headroom, soundstage, dynamics or anything noticeable?"
Because if there is not so much differences, I would rather go with some dragonfly cobalt or Lotoo PAW S1, that are way more affordable 😅
Sorry to bother you, but as I'm quite the novice, I'm pondering about a lot of things that might appear simple to the lot of you.
Another question is, would they benefit from getting a balanced cable and in what way? I understand that it's interesting for hard to drive headphones, as the balance cable can bring more "juice", but what would be the point for easy to drive headphones? 🤔

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #2,174 of 4,391
Sounds promising.

Tested with my BTR5 ( 1,6V/ 80mW at 32ohm single ended), which drives them at level 40 out of 60 in high gain quite well.
Thanks for feedback.Considering trading my Be
Sounds promising.

Thanks for the feedback.I might be trading some beyer t5p 2nd gen for the quads.I read the headband only suits large heads?.

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #2,175 of 4,391
Thanks for your replies everyone.
I'd like to go down the portable route for the moment yes.
I understand that the D9200 are quite easy to drive for all the DAPs mentioned, and that's it's more about which one would have the best synergy if I go down that route.
But what is really difficult for me to grab is what kind of improvement would I get (if any) from a dongle dac/Amp (or entry level DAPs) to the top end DAPs, as they don't need a powerful driver.
Well what I'm currently pondering about is "do the D9200 need top end DAPs to sound the best? Would I get more headroom, soundstage, dynamics or anything noticeable?"
Because if there is not so much differences, I would rather go with some dragonfly cobalt or Lotoo PAW S1, that are way more affordable 😅
Sorry to bother you, but as I'm quite the novice, I'm pondering about a lot of things that might appear simple to the lot of you.
Another question is, would they benefit from getting a balanced cable and in what way? I understand that it's interesting for hard to drive headphones, as the balance cable can bring more "juice", but what would be the point for easy to drive headphones? 🤔
You'll gain a better electrical circuitry with whatever house sound tuning they'll have.
But you'll be able to pair higher demanding headphones in the future. :)

For going balanced or not, don't bother with the D9200.
There's no benefit in doing so.
At least not by comparing it on the BTR5 with nearly identical cables (Pioneer SEM5 oem cables with same material and length), although the se out of the BTR5 is technically worse than the balanced out.

Even by comparing the BTR5 to my Mojo, while the Mojo sounds cleaner, there's not much to gain.

Maybe i'm insensitive to the little changes it might bring to the table.
I don't know. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back