Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,441 of 4,391
Did anyone ever compare the D9200s with Audio Technica ATH-AWAS and/or ATH-AWTK?

In the name of our Creator I do all.
I pray that I am helpful.

Based on reviews and owning the w5000 these have completely different sound signatures. The Audiotechnicas are much thinner and wider in soundstage while the Denons are more dynamic and warmer. The AWAS seems to sound more like the Denon 5200 which I owned for a while and enjoyed. It is a very good value and overlooked headphone but it is no 9200. The 9200 is truly something special for those who appreciate a more lively and energetic sound. God bless.

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #1,442 of 4,391
The following track shows the full potential of this gem (best listened in via tidal or Qobuz): (think this is endgame sound):

Nice track!
Check the beautiful synergy between voice and instrumentals on Englishman In New York (My Songs Version) - 44.1 lHz / Hi-Res 24 Bit. Don't be afraid to turn it up. You will note that even at high volume the 9200 will not boost a frequency at the expense of the other. Everything sounds separated and precise.

Let's see how good this is :).

1600630676657.png

Attachments

• Carla.JPG
    Carla.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Harmony.JPG
    Harmony.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,443 of 4,391
Nice track!
Check the beautiful synergy between voice and instrumentals on Englishman In New York (My Songs Version) - 44.1 lHz / Hi-Res 24 Bit. Don't be afraid to turn it up. You will note that even at high volume the 9200 will not boost a frequency at the expense of the other. Everything sounds separated and precise.

Let's see how good this is :).

1600630676657.png

Really nice compination of deep bass and voice. As you mentioned, also on high volume, everything is well structred and placed and the bass do not eat other frequencies.
The bass of D9200 is worldclass. Never heard such a precise bass.

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,444 of 4,391
Really nice compination of deep bass and voice. As you mentioned, also on high volume, everything is well structred and placed and the bass do not eat other frequencies.
The bass of D9200 is worldclass. Never heard such a precise bass.

you should try the 9200 with a tube amp. i cant describe it but something magical happens.

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,447 of 4,391
A short summary post (again), between my D7200, D9200 and TH900...
Comparing the D9200 vs D7200 driver-to-driver in the same enclosure, the D9200 driver seems better resolving (in the bass, in the mids and in the treble).
The D7200 driver can create more bass pressure around 50 Hz, but the D9200 goes deeper and flatter.
Less bloom than D7200 and much less bloom than TH900, but the D9200 driver is [one of] the most accurate dynamic driver I have ever heard.
Besides, the D9200 is far more resilient vs pad changes, you can try more pads and all of them will sound good, unlike with the D7200 which is more problematic.

The D7200 is an incredible price/performance headphone. It sounds best with its own modified pads. If old enough, no cup mods are needed (midrange forwardness goes away with time). Recommended for people who want calmer treble than the D9200 has and don't want to invest in D9200 cables. It's one of the most linear dynamic headphones I've seen. You are best off with a 2+ years old good second hand pair.

I modded the TH900 extensively, made it much better, but could not change its sonic character or make it considerably more linear. But it has tremendous bass energy, huge sound stage and it's my movie/games headphone. Sounds more explosive sound than D9200, still quite V or W shaped sound. Sounds best with the modded Stax 009 pads mounted directly on the housing with adhesive tape.

The D9200 also sounds best with the modded Stax 009 pads mounted directly on the housing (no mounting rings). If thin/shallow pads don't work for you, try the same mod on the Stax 007 pads, they have same type, but thicker foam inside. If the stock pads would be softer and had bigger internal diameter, would probably be the perfect pads for the D9200. The modded D9200 goes deeper and more flat than the TH900, its bass peak is more like between 25-30 Hz vs the TH900 bass has most energy around 40-60 Hz.

IMHO the D9200 treble tendency (which is more like a Japanese preference than a flaw) is only accentuated by its cable, and it sounds far better with the D7200 cable (and vice versa). I recommend soft pull solid core (~0.3 mm strands) pure copper cables with the D9200, but YMMV. Solid silver might work with some makes, but stay away from silver plated copper, as it's not the best of the both worlds, but the worst of both worlds IMHO (at least in this case). I don't doubt there are worse copper cables still, but it's much easier to make copper right.
I agree, the TH900 Mk2 is a beast whose innate characteristics are not easily masked. At its beating heart, it is a bass fiend, bringing together a vigorous mid-bass slam and some of the best sub-bass rumble you will ever hear in the headphone sphere. In comparison with the AH-D9200, it is definitely the more "fun" and energetic headphone. It remains my top pick for my genre of choice, EDM.

With that said, the Denon flagship is one of my favorite headphones in the market, period. The bass, despite being a couple of notches below the Fostex in intensity, remains one of the best-textured and most organic in the business. Denon has well and truly hit this one out of the park, IMO. It's been some time since I've heard the AH-D7000, but I'm more impressed with the lows on the AH-D9200 than on its illustrious ex-flagship.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,448 of 4,391
I agree, the TH900 Mk2 is a beast whose innate characteristics are not easily masked.

With this statement I can easily agree as well. My all time fav cans for rock music.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 22, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #1,450 of 4,391
it seems that this headphone is not supplied in large quantities? in Europe in any case it is often on order.

it's a great success anyway!
Yes, it's perpetually "out of stock" or "awaiting shipment". It took me a long time to get a pair. I usually don't buy used headphones or IEMs (hygiene concerns and all), but I finally caved in and purchased a second-hand AH-D9200, as the estimated re-stocking period was late September. This was the sitaution a few months ago... imagine that. :expressionless:

Sep 22, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #1,451 of 4,391
Yes, it's perpetually "out of stock" or "awaiting shipment". It took me a long time to get a pair. I usually don't buy used headphones or IEMs (hygiene concerns and all), but I finally caved in and purchased a second-hand AH-D9200, as the estimated re-stocking period was late September. This was the sitaution a few months ago... imagine that. :expressionless:
I am in the same boat. I purchased some and am in the perpetual wait queue.

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #1,453 of 4,391
Since (contrary to the D5200/D7200) they supposedly are assembled completely by hand, I would expect them to have run into some delays ....

Sep 22, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #1,454 of 4,391
Since (contrary to the D5200/D7200) they supposedly are assembled completely by hand, I would expect them to have run into some delays ....
Yeah, the craftsmanship of the wooden cups on the AH-D9200 is really something else, IMO. The Japanese are masters at the art of packaging, too.

Every now and then, I enjoy watching this video. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back