Denon AH-D7000
Apr 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #5,312 of 7,457

Quote:
Just got my D7000's in the mail and they are blowing me away right now. 

The only thing that is going to be a huge problem is that these things leak sound pretty badly at the volume levels I am used to listening to. Anyone have any tips to lessening this sound leakage (aside from turning the volume down) as I share an office at work and this could definitely be an issue. Usually wear IEM's at work and have wanted a pair of D7000's for the longest time. Kinda disappointed with the sound leakage.

They are great sounding headphones...but their leakage (and lack of real isolation) was why I sold them eventually. While physically closed, they behave as open headphones in that regard.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #5,313 of 7,457

Quote:
Turn the earpads so that they better fit your head. The most common amount is to line up the front horizontal seam with the "nut" on the cup, the bolt the cup pivots on.

Will give it a shot.

Quote:
They are great sounding headphones...but their leakage (and lack of real isolation) was why I sold them eventually. While physically closed, they behave as open headphones in that regard.

Suppose I should have done a little more research on their leakage. I have fourteen days to return these so I guess I should feel lucky about that. These sound so gear though I wish that they could leak less sound.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #5,315 of 7,457

Quote:
See, that's expectation bias, when I say "dark" I mean the background sound, not a sound signature having to do with bass or recessed mids. The LD I+ is not a "dark" amp, it's just an amp, the tubes add some texture but that's all. D7000s are already V -shaped in sound, that's the way they are, it's obvious in the FR charts. No amp or new cables will change that, only an EQ. They don't change soundstage anywhere near that degree either. There is so much hokum flying around regarding hifi audio that it's no wonder people get some of the notions they do.
As for the spec sheets for the opamps, I have one OPA2107 that's defective and is noisy in one channel. It's just bad. They seem to vary from batch to batch, and even some are outright fakes. ebay is packed with fake OPA2107s that re labeled as Burr Browns. Again, as I said before, it doesn't make a huge difference, however, provided they function properly. I could have lived with any of them. I simply swapped until I got the least amount of noise according to my ears.

The amount of factual content in your post is lacking and sounds like the writings of a jaded, set in their ways individual who's not interested in having a civil discussion about the possible merits of such a wonderful headphone as the D7000's.  Enjoy your Little Dot.

edit: fixed the bolding :/

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #5,316 of 7,457

Quote:

The amount of factual content in your post is lacking and sounds like the writings of a jaded, set in their ways individual who's not interested in having a civil discussion about the possible merits of such a wonderful headphone as the D7000's.  Enjoy your Little Dot.

He's right, though.  And a lot of people will back up the v-shaped sound, including me.  I owned the D7000s for eight months and had over a thousand hours on them, and they certainly had a v-shaped sound.  The mids are slightly recessed, and the emphasis is on the bass and highs.  They're a bright, warm headphone, and some of my favorites.  I still sometimes regret selling them for the LCD-2s.  But they do have a v-shaped FR, at the very least to me.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #5,317 of 7,457

Quote:
The majority of what I listen to is classical, or somehow acoustic. The D7k is best at anything stringed, with a hollow body. This is true for mandolin, guitar, violin, bass, viola da gamba, etc. It reproduces the resonant qualities and sonority of these instruments beautifully. It can also do voice and wind instruments very well. It's just amazingly good at anything acoustic or 'natural'.

It is because of your posts 'shane55' in the D7000 thread followed by a listening session of the D7000's that I purchased these headphones. I agree with you 100% regarding stringed instruments and how wonderful they sound. I haven't had the pleasure of listening to majority of those instruments live (eg. cello, violins, etc), but when I close my eyes, I feel that I am in the hall listening to someone play that instrument on stage.

I purchased this record over the weekend and only had a chance to listen to it once, but so far the Air: The Bach Album has been a wonderful listen. See what you think.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #5,318 of 7,457

Quote:
He's right, though.  And a lot of people will back up the v-shaped sound, including me.  I owned the D7000s for eight months and had over a thousand hours on them, and they certainly had a v-shaped sound.  The mids are slightly recessed, and the emphasis is on the bass and highs.  They're a bright, warm headphone, and some of my favorites.  I still sometimes regret selling them for the LCD-2s.  But they do have a v-shaped FR, at the very least to me.

I do not disagree on the basis that the headphones have a V-shaped sound, that's a well documented fact, its the part bolded I have a trouble of digesting. 

A V-shaped headphone (D7000) with a V-shaped op-amp as such as a the OPA 2107 as MagicMan had done to further 'darken' the midrange while further boosting the bass can easily be heard. I own that exact op-amp and tube and set it up exactly to his config and the sound between 'his' setup and a bright amp is quite apparent. Guns N' Roses November Rain orchestra is put in the back and sounds like you are listening from the second balcony while Axel's voice is hidden behind all the instruments. Just one of the examples.

In the end it depends of what sound someone is going for, but to say an amp will NOT a difference in the sound signature of a headphone and how the frequency will be represented is naive.

edit: My apologies dagothur, I bolded only the part to include the amp comment while un-bolding the V-shaped comment.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #5,319 of 7,457

edit: fixed the bolding :/

Actually, they're the writings of an experienced person that knows their own gear, that's a fact for ya. The LD doesn't "darken" or "warm up" anything, if you perceive it that way it's not because of the hardware.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #5,320 of 7,457

Quote:
It is because of your posts 'shane55' in the D7000 thread followed by a listening session of the D7000's that I purchased these headphones. I agree with you 100% regarding stringed instruments and how wonderful they sound. I haven't had the pleasure of listening to majority of those instruments live (eg. cello, violins, etc), but when I close my eyes, I feel that I am in the hall listening to someone play that instrument on stage.

I purchased this record over the weekend and only had a chance to listen to it once, but so far the Air: The Bach Album has been a wonderful listen. See what you think.

I am so glad to hear that you appreciate these for the same reasons, and in the same way that I do. I like that album and think Anne is very good. It's got some of my favorite Bach pieces (esp BWV 1042).
But if you want some serious string music for your D7k's, try this:  http://www.amazon.com/English-Music-For-Viols-Fretwork/dp/B001BSH0YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334727341&sr=8-1
The recordings are all outstanding, and you will feel as if you are sitting between the instruments. Great pieces, great sound. And, 5 CD's for $12 is amazing!!

Also, if you like Bach, and Harpsichord... try this set: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Harpsichord-Concertos-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B00006IQFL/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334727497&sr=8-4
An outstanding collection of these concerti... and the ones on the Air disc, but as Harpsichord transcriptions (or vice versa.. ;^) ).

Or... if you want something completely deep and resonant, pick up some Marin Marais (or other) music performed by Jordi Savall. Unreal, outstanding.

All the best!.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #5,321 of 7,457
Has anyone experienced a twisted cable on just one of the ear cups? Mine have been like that since I got them, and it causes the cable to not hang naturally. (See picture) Is it possible / easy to take the cable off, untwist, and reattach without any major issues?

Nothing wrong with your headphone, mine was like yours but you can straighten it by holding the cable and rotate your headphone up side down until your cable become non-twisted.

For your headphone, you will be rotating the cup with twisted cable up side down, make sure when you rotate your cable is placed outside of your headphone.

Hope this helps.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #5,323 of 7,457

Quote:
Nothing wrong with your headphone, mine was like yours but you can straighten it by holding the cable and rotate your headphone up side down until your cable become non-twisted.

For your headphone, you will be rotating the cup with twisted cable up side down, make sure when you rotate your cable is placed outside of your headphone.

Hope this helps.

I ended up taking unscrewing the single cup off of the headband, and rotating it back into proper shape, then reattaching, which seemed to have helped the issue. Thanks!

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #5,324 of 7,457

Quote:

Hope this helps.

I ended up taking unscrewing the single cup off of the headband, and rotating it back into proper shape, then reattaching, which seemed to have helped the issue. Thanks!

Excellent ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back