Denon AH-D7000
Apr 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #5,296 of 7,457
The LD I+ has enough power for just about any headphones you can buy. FWIW, rolling opamps doesn't do much for the sound of the LD I+, except lower the noise floor. The crappy 40¢ mc33078n they use by default doesn't do it any favors. Replacing it with the extremely quiet OPA2107AP helps a little and gives the I+ a very dark background. Rolling tubes makes more of an impact, but it still isn't night and day. I tried all the usual EF95 suspects and the best of them are the Mullard 8100s and the Voskhod 6ZH1P, and since the Russian tubes are half the price, might as well go with them. Again, not a big difference there, and if a person doesn't want to deal with it then they aren't missing a whole lot.

Bottom line is it's a well made $110 amp that does very well with most headphones, and has a nice, textured sound. The whole "good match" or "synergy" thing is largely spurious. Denons don't care what kind of power you use, they don't even need very much of it. All they really require is as little noise as possible. Just get something solid and well made and then enjoy it.

Right now I'm listening to my D7000 and LD I+ combo and enjoying it, very good stuff.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #5,298 of 7,457
As I said in the above post, the OPA2107AP. However, I also tried the LT1364, the LM4562, and the OPA2227P. The OPA2107 had the lowest noise floor, to my ears it was completely dark. All of the others introduced some degree of background fuzz with more sensitive headphones like the D7000s.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #5,299 of 7,457
Has anyone experienced a twisted cable on just one of the ear cups? Mine have been like that since I got them, and it causes the cable to not hang naturally. (See picture) Is it possible / easy to take the cable off, untwist, and reattach without any major issues?

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #5,300 of 7,457

Quote:
As I said in the above post, the OPA2107AP. However, I also tried the LT1364, the LM4562, and the OPA2227P. The OPA2107 had the lowest noise floor, to my ears it was completely dark. All of the others introduced some degree of background fuzz with more sensitive headphones like the D7000s.

And you like that dark sound hey? It was very difficult for me to enjoy the dark, u-shaped sound. The low-bass and mid-bass blended in together (very apparent on Dire Straits - Six Blade Knife, where the 2 bass lines at the beginning blend in), the mids were very recessed, causing vocals to sound muddy and way out in the distance. The micro-detail in the midrange was also hard to pinpoint along with instrument placement. The high's stood out like a sore thumb in the whole spectrum. 
The true potential of this headphone gets masked with the OPA and the LDI+.

Interesting you found the OPA to have the lowest noise floor. In my experience, the LME49720HA had by far the lowest noise floor out of all my op-amps with the with the LM4562 a very close second. Comparing the spec sheets of the OPA and LM/LME back that claim up.

I do not recommend getting a class-a amp for such an efficient headphone, that's ridiculous, its just that they sound so darn good being amped by a class-a amp, they love the power, and as per the spec sheet, can handle a maximum load of 1800mW.

Not only me, but 2 other individuals who sat down for long listening sessions with the D7000 and Hitachi amp had the same thing to say about the combo, in their own words, as I did. If it makes a difference, one was male the other female. The LDI+ got left in the dust.

That is why I am looking forward to an upcoming audio meet in my area where I will have both setups on display for the D7000's, and I will report back the findings.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #5,301 of 7,457
And you like that dark sound hey? It was very difficult for me to enjoy the dark, u-shaped sound. The low-bass and mid-bass blended in together (very apparent on Dire Straits - Six Blade Knife, where the 2 bass lines at the beginning blend in), the mids were very recessed, causing vocals to sound muddy and way out in the distance. The micro-detail in the midrange was also hard to pinpoint along with instrument placement. The high's stood out like a sore thumb in the whole spectrum. 
The true potential of this headphone gets masked with the OPA and the LDI+.

Interesting you found the OPA to have the lowest noise floor. In my experience, the LME49720HA had by far the lowest noise floor out of all my op-amps with the with the LM4562 a very close second. Comparing the spec sheets of the OPA and LM/LME back that claim up.

I do not recommend getting a class-a amp for such an efficient headphone, that's ridiculous, its just that they sound so darn good being amped by a class-a amp, they love the power, and as per the spec sheet, can handle a maximum load of 1800mW.

Not only me, but 2 other individuals who sat down for long listening sessions with the D7000 and Hitachi amp had the same thing to say about the combo, in their own words, as I did. If it makes a difference, one was male the other female. The LDI+ got left in the dust.

That is why I am looking forward to an upcoming audio meet in my area where I will have both setups on display for the D7000's, and I will report back the findings.

See, that's expectation bias, when I say "dark" I mean the background sound, not a sound signature having to do with bass or recessed mids. The LD I+ is not a "dark" amp, it's just an amp, the tubes add some texture but that's all. D7000s are already V -shaped in sound, that's the way they are, it's obvious in the FR charts. No amp or new cables will change that, only an EQ. They don't change soundstage anywhere near that degree either. There is so much hokum flying around regarding hifi audio that it's no wonder people get some of the notions they do.

As for the spec sheets for the opamps, I have one OPA2107 that's defective and is noisy in one channel. It's just bad. They seem to vary from batch to batch, and even some are outright fakes. ebay is packed with fake OPA2107s that re labeled as Burr Browns. Again, as I said before, it doesn't make a huge difference, however, provided they function properly. I could have lived with any of them. I simply swapped until I got the least amount of noise according to my ears.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #5,302 of 7,457
Has anyone experienced a twisted cable on just one of the ear cups? Mine have been like that since I got them, and it causes the cable to not hang naturally. (See picture) Is it possible / easy to take the cable off, untwist, and reattach without any major issues?

There's a knot of cable inside the cup used as strain relief, try pushing a little at where the cable goes in and then turning in the opposite direction of the way they're twisted. Mine did this once and that's how I sorted it out.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #5,303 of 7,457
This is good to know in case there's a future incident inside my listening room. Although, I'm curious how one side is affected and not the other. Obviously possible but strange looking.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #5,304 of 7,457
I'm glad I'm beginning to understand this before I get too deeply involved with gear. I just want to get sep into music, and stop with the "upgrading".  D7000 will be the last upgrade I will have in my system... or maybe HE-500.. and maybe a solid state amp too.. but thats it!
Quote:
See, that's expectation bias, when I say "dark" I mean the background sound, not a sound signature having to do with bass or recessed mids. The LD I+ is not a "dark" amp, it's just an amp, the tubes add some texture but that's all. D7000s are already V -shaped in sound, that's the way they are, it's obvious in the FR charts. No amp or new cables will change that, only an EQ. They don't change soundstage anywhere near that degree either. There is so much hokum flying around regarding hifi audio that it's no wonder people get some of the notions they do.
As for the spec sheets for the opamps, I have one OPA2107 that's defective and is noisy in one channel. It's just bad. They seem to vary from batch to batch, and even some are outright fakes. ebay is packed with fake OPA2107s that re labeled as Burr Browns. Again, as I said before, it doesn't make a huge difference, however, provided they function properly. I could have lived with any of them. I simply swapped until I got the least amount of noise according to my ears.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #5,305 of 7,457

Quote:

I had a similar issue, but it's down further--about 6' to 7".   It has become less noticeable over time and with manual straightening.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #5,306 of 7,457

Quote:
There's a knot of cable inside the cup used as strain relief, try pushing a little at where the cable goes in and then turning in the opposite direction of the way they're twisted. Mine did this once and that's how I sorted it out.

Just tried, but for whatever reason, it's not twisting back even after pressing inwards. Guess I'll take the cups off and see if I can get in there somehow.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #5,307 of 7,457

Quote:
Just tried, but for whatever reason, it's not twisting back even after pressing inwards. Guess I'll take the cups off and see if I can get in there somehow.

hold the can uopside down and try rotating the cups till you get it untangled and gently  go up and down the Y part of the cables and smooth them out. I have a know too but its not exposed and I use the Woo stand up high for my stand for the D7K the 59.00 stand works well so the cable stays straight.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #5,308 of 7,457
I moved from DACMgic + HiFiMAN EF-5 to HeadRoom Desktop Amp (not Ultra) , IMO the sound of D-7000 cant be better 
smile_phones.gif

Mind sharing a few pics of the headroom desktop amp & D7k?
Do you know the advantage of the desktop over the mico dac & amp combo?

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #5,309 of 7,457
x2 on the cable getting twisted.  Mine is rather far down too.

Anyways missed you guys the past couple of weeks.  I gave up headfi and a bunch of other forums for Lent.  I'm back now...too much to catch up on.  :p

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #5,310 of 7,457
Just got my D7000's in the mail and they are blowing me away right now. 

The only thing that is going to be a huge problem is that these things leak sound pretty badly at the volume levels I am used to listening to. Anyone have any tips to lessening this sound leakage (aside from turning the volume down) as I share an office at work and this could definitely be an issue. Usually wear IEM's at work and have wanted a pair of D7000's for the longest time. Kinda disappointed with the sound leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back