Denon AH-D7000
Nov 16, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #4,786 of 7,457

My brief observations after spending a month listening to the LCD-2 & D7000 side-by-side. I find the bass on the LCD-2 delicious, on the D7000 gorgeous.

________

With the LCD-2's the addicting and deeply satisfying bass was a given. Best surprise moment for me with those cans came when I sat in to listen to Al Jarreau. Not really knowing what to expect, his track "Golden Girl" was only the second track of the evening, as I was just getting under way. And the way the LCD-2's expressed Al's vocals (and backup singers) was a very beautiful thing to hear. So, I cut the track short at 90 seconds in and hit "Restart" just because I could!  
biggrin.gif

However...

I did struggle with the LCD-2's on a few issues - mid-bass; treble; soundstage and some micro-details. But no HP is perfect. And though it often left me wanting more, that can is engaging. I want one! Funds permitting, I'd get one to compliment my Zeus re-cabled D7000's, but not to replace them. I do believe my listening room should have at least one pair of Closed/Open cans each. At some point will start shopping for some pre-owned Open cans. But not if some LCD-2's become available first!

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #4,787 of 7,457

Quote:
I found neither of the 2 pairs of D7000s that I've owned as "veiled". The HD650s..sure, but they had rolled off treble and a mid-bass bloat that made them seem that way. The D7000s don't have much of any mid-bass bloat and the treble is quite present and sparkly. Very nicely done IMO.

that's why I recommend the HD600 :)  No mid bass bloat and just sounds cleaner.  Just saying :) 

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #4,789 of 7,457
As dubious as it sounds, has anyone tried price matching the D7000's to Dakmart's price? Nowhere on their site do I see anything mentioning factory refurbished headphones. I'd feel absolutely terrible doing it but I wonder if they would let something like that happen at all....

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #4,791 of 7,457

Quote:
As dubious as it sounds, has anyone tried price matching the D7000's to Dakmart's price? Nowhere on their site do I see anything mentioning factory refurbished headphones. I'd feel absolutely terrible doing it but I wonder if they would let something like that happen at all....

Dakmart doesn't appear to be an authorized dealer according to Denon.com, so no one would match the price. However you can call J&R and get them for $749.99 with free shipping any time you want. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #4,792 of 7,457

Quote:
bbophead, (cool nickname by the way), although another member rightfully pointed out that the D7000 mids are recessed not veiled, have you considered re-cabling the D7000?

You know, I just hate throwing good money after bad.  Veiled, recessed, as Dice Clay(!) would say, what's the ******** difference?  So, you buy a TOTL can anywhere from $600 (if you're reeely lucky) to 1000 bucks new and then, you have to spend, ohh, let's say, $150 to whatever to maybe make the mid-range sound right.  Do I want to take that chance? Not really.  Somebody needs to have figured this out already.
biggrin.gif
  I can't believe it's that hard but apparently, it is. Maybe the marketeers at Denon had something to do with it. You think?   

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #4,794 of 7,457

You know, I just hate throwing good money after bad.  Veiled, recessed, as Dice Clay(!) would say, what's the ******** difference?  So, you buy a TOTL can anywhere from $600 (if you're reeely lucky) to 1000 bucks new and then, you have to spend, ohh, let's say, $150 to whatever to maybe make the mid-range sound right.  Do I want to take that chance? Not really.  Somebody needs to have figured this out already.
biggrin.gif
  I can't believe it's that hard but apparently, it is. Maybe the marketeers at Denon had something to do with it. You think?   

It's called an EQ. :3

This is hilarious!

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #4,795 of 7,457

Quote:
that's why I recommend the HD600 :)  No mid bass bloat and just sounds cleaner.  Just saying :) 

I actually had some 600's...and returned them.

I didn't see a significant enough difference between them and the D7000s within the genres I listen to.  They were just redundant to my ears.  I'm either going to pick up the HE-5LE's or re-bun the 650's, as I did enjoy how they sounded with Jazz/Big Band/Acoustic music greatly.

Speaking of which, I'm looking at buying some HE-5LE's and wanted to know if any of you guys have heard them...and if they would also result in a somewhat redundant experience to the D7000's?

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #4,796 of 7,457

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Oh, but of course... 
wink_face.gif

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #4,797 of 7,457
The HE5 LE is very different from the D7000. First thing you'll notice is less bass, second is soundstage on the 5LE, and third is detail retrieval. The amount of detail from the HE5LE vs the D7000 will become the one you appreciate over time the most, I think.

Watch out though...They need a hefty amp.

Quote:
I actually had some 600's...and returned them.

I didn't see a significant enough difference between them and the D7000s within the genres I listen to.  They were just redundant to my ears.  I'm either going to pick up the HE-5LE's or re-bun the 650's, as I did enjoy how they sounded with Jazz/Big Band/Acoustic music greatly.

Speaking of which, I'm looking at buying some HE-5LE's and wanted to know if any of you guys have heard them...and if they would also result in a somewhat redundant experience to the D7000's?

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #4,798 of 7,457

Quote:
The HE5 LE is very different from the D7000. First thing you'll notice is less bass, second is soundstage on the 5LE, and third is detail retrieval. The amount of detail from the HE5LE vs the D7000 will become the one you appreciate over time the most, I think.

Watch out though...They need a hefty amp.

Sounds like an adventure to me, so I'll pick up the HE-5LE's. 

As for the amp, do you think my Nuforce Icon HDP will be sufficient?  With my Denon's, volume is comfortable at 12:30 on the dial and with the Senn's, it's best right around 2:00.  ( think max volume is around 6:00 or so).  If my Icon can't do it, I might have a problem.  I don't have space for a giant amp.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #4,799 of 7,457
I don't think the HDP is enough. The crowd favorite for entry ortho stuff is the Lyr. A lot of people are loving the NFB10SE as well. 

10SE is long but fairly low profile and the Lyr has a small footprint too.

Quote:
Sounds like an adventure to me, so I'll pick up the HE-5LE's. 

As for the amp, do you think my Nuforce Icon HDP will be sufficient?  With my Denon's, volume is comfortable at 12:30 on the dial and with the Senn's, it's best right around 2:00.  ( think max volume is around 6:00 or so).  If my Icon can't do it, I might have a problem.  I don't have space for a giant amp.

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #4,800 of 7,457

Quote:
I don't think the HDP is enough. The crowd favorite for entry ortho stuff is the Lyr. A lot of people are loving the NFB10SE as well. 

10SE is long but fairly low profile and the Lyr has a small footprint too.

according to the 6moons Icon HDP review, it's enough. (just read it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back