Denon AH-D7000
Jun 14, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #4,111 of 7,464
i was able to snag mine off ebay for 650 but i had to keep checking it multiple times a day. you never know what you'll find... 

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #4,113 of 7,464
It doesn't seem too good. :/ 

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Dakmart

Quote:
Used to be J&R, with a phone call, was in the $650 range but MorbidToaster tells me that ain't so anymore.  Still, they might beat $799.  I'm waiting on a refurb unit from Dakmart that was under $500.  We'll see if I was wise or foolish this week.  Heh.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #4,114 of 7,464
It doesn't seem too good. :/ 

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Dakmart

Yo, Fluff

Yeah, that looks grim.  I got a response right away with tracking number.  Should get them Thursday.  We shall see. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #4,115 of 7,464

Quote:
quite. having never heard any of the other top-tier phones, i'm not really fit to compare them. i bet the LCD-2 would make me see the D7k's in a different way, and who knows, i might do that someday. for now, and for a while hopefully (hah. this is head-fi!) i'll be enjoying my D7k's. i'd need to have over twice the money i invested in my current setup to do the LCD-2's properly though, as the E9 just wouldn't cut it. brilliant for the denons though.

I agree. I was thinking I would have to upgrade the E9 to really get the most out of the denons, but I am completely satisfied with the amp. But I so think MS2+ dac plays a major role in that compared to the e7. I like fiio products, but the E9 is way more valuable to me compared to the E7. I think upgrading the dac with the E9 is probably the smartest cost conscience way to upgrade. When I got my Lyr and D100 I was scared I wouldn't use the E9/MS2+, absolutely not the case. I use it just as much, maybe even more due to its convenience.
Many here say the concerto may be the best or one of the best amps for the denons, which is probably true. But I firmly believe the E9 at 5 or 6x less cost is the most efficient way to amp the denons. The D100 also sounds great with the denons, which IMO is a decent amp, amazing dac for the money, but I still prefer the e9/music streamer for the denons.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #4,116 of 7,464
I agree. I was thinking I would have to upgrade the E9 to really get the most out of the denons, but I am completely satisfied with the amp. But I so think MS2+ dac plays a major role in that compared to the e7. I like fiio products, but the E9 is way more valuable to me compared to the E7. I think upgrading the dac with the E9 is probably the smartest cost conscience way to upgrade. When I got my Lyr and D100 I was scared I wouldn't use the E9/MS2+, absolutely not the case. I use it just as much, maybe even more due to its convenience.
Many here say the concerto may be the best or one of the best amps for the denons, which is probably true. But I firmly believe the E9 at 5 or 6x less cost is the most efficient way to amp the denons. The D100 also sounds great with the denons, which IMO is a decent amp, amazing dac for the money, but I still prefer the e9/music streamer for the denons.

have you ever heard the nuforce hdp/hd with the d7000's? curious myself which route to take.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #4,118 of 7,464
Just got my second pair of D7000s, but I noticed 2 things that I'm not sure were present with my last pair. Can anyone confirm that yours is also like this...

1) The left cup swivels easier than the right

2) The beefy side of the pads is skinnier than the D2000 pads.

Thanks

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #4,119 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:

have you ever heard the nuforce hdp/hd with the d7000's? curious myself which route to take.

Unfortunately not and probably won't ever since there is no reason to. But I would definetly consider it a top option, I gave it some consideration months ago. If I had to guess I would say my E9/MS2+ is just as good as the HDP, but that is pure speculation. I have no doubt the streamer is as good or slightly better than the dac section is the HDP, again just complete speculation. The problem I see with the HDP is if you decided to switch things around upgrade it might not be the best investment. If you plan on sticking with the same rig, it is def a top choice and worth consideration, many people here love that set up. I haven't heard the dacmini or dacport, but I would go that route instead of the HDP, just because you wouldn't necesaarily have to change much around if you switched your gear around. I honestly don't know why more people try the centrance dacport for the denons, I'd love to see an opinion if its just as good or better than the HDP.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #4,120 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:

I have the HDP and E9/E7, HDP suits the Denon line even better, gives it a full sound that isn't quite there in my E9/E7.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #4,121 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:

I have.  It's an amazing combo, and I recommended it to another Head-Fi'er on this very thread who I believe enjoyed it just as thoroughly as I have.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #4,123 of 7,464
Thank you very much, appreciate the effort you put in to that.  I will be looking to get me the D7Ks soon then. Again, thanks a lot. :)

Quote:
ive had he pro 900s + BD cable for about 2 months, about 500 hours burn in. ive had the d7000s for under a week, and well... my signature says it all. the thing that kept killing me about the pro 900s was how incredibly colored the sound was. i'm an EDM listener and that's probably 70% of what i use my headphones for, 20% for gaming and 10% for tv. with the pro 900s, i found myself really enjoying them for most of my EDM, but when it came to any other genre, gaming, or TV, i'd put the 990/600s on for their more natural, yet still fun (bass and treble emphasized) sound. the pro 900s were about as far away from an all-arounder that i could think of. their soundstage/imaging is ok for a closed can, but when it came to competitive gaming through the astro mixamp with dolby headphone, i can't relaly describe it other than to say that within 3 seconds i'd ripped them off my head. nothing was coming from the right direction and everything was scrambled. the 990/600s have a pinpoint accurate soundstage. and with the BD cable, the basshead in me was in heaven, but the rest of me knew that, if i could only have one pair of cans... i wanted a hybrid of the pro 900s and the 990s. the d7000s are exactly this. i have no idea how denon's done it. they've managed to keep the same natural, un-colored yet still fun sound from the 990s, as well as having a soundstage that really, truly is mind boggling for a closed can, and combining it with bass response that has 100% of the extension and less boomyness than the pro 900s. like i said before, i'm a basshead, but the pro 900s + BD could be overkill. when i wanted the bass, it was so there and so wonderful. but when i wanted to hear mids or treble, i could hear bass. lots of basssss. hence the constant switching of the cans. now... the d7ks just never leave my ears.

perhaps the best way i can think of characterizing the two is to say that the pro 900s never let you forget you were wearing them, while the d7ks let you sink gloriously into a soft pillow of amazingly accurate, analytical, fun, non-fatiguing sound. the pro 900s are so bright and yet so bassy, so you're hearing some sibilance that makes you wince, bass that blurs your vision and legitimately has me checking to see if my subwoofer is on, and a clamping force that, while not uncomfortably tight, definitely reminds you you're wearing big mean scary headphones, and i could never exactly relax with them on. the brushed metal backs of the cans reflect the metallic quality of the sound (this is the "coloration" that i speak of; some might define it differently) which absolutely makes most EDM sound fantastic, but also has me asking "is this REALLY how that sounds??" far too often. the d7ks... from the moment you put them on, while they aren't an 880 or 990 (honestly, what could match that comfort?) you forget they are there and you wind up with a huge smile on your face because you know, inherently, this is how music should sound. songs that i've listened to 300 or more times before finally sound correct. i know that's about as objective as it gets, but there's a gut feeling that what i'm listening to is truly the purest, most wonderful sound... i could go on and on, but the bottom line is, if you can afford em, even if you think you're a basshead and the pro 990s + BD cable are it for you, the D7ks will probably surprise you in a very positive way. i could definitely keep going, and if there's any particular bits that i didn't mention please ask and i'll do my best to respond.

bottom line: the D7k's sound signature is very very similar to the 990/600s. imagine 990s with more bass presence, extension, detail, and slam, and a bit less treble, and you're there. the D7ks make the pro 900's sound metallic, boomy, and scooped.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #4,124 of 7,464

Quote:
I have.  It's an amazing combo, and I recommended it to another Head-Fi'er on this very thread who I believe enjoyed it just as thoroughly as I have.

thanks to all who replied. there is a shop near me with the hdp so i figured i'd try it out firsthand. the other dac/amp that intrigues me is the yulong d100. i'm guessing this would be a better option if i decide to upgrade the phones (won't be for a LONG time though) since the dac is said to be up there with the best. we'll see how things go.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #4,125 of 7,464
The D100 and D7000 have amazing synergy. In my review it was my favorite amp with them (although I haven't gotten to try and HDP). The best part of the D100 is the sheer amount of options you get from it. It has Balanced options as well as just being a very solid unit in general. 

I always recommend it when I can.

Quote:
thanks to all who replied. there is a shop near me with the hdp so i figured i'd try it out firsthand. the other dac/amp that intrigues me is the yulong d100. i'm guessing this would be a better option if i decide to upgrade the phones (won't be for a LONG time though) since the dac is said to be up there with the best. we'll see how things go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back