Denon AH-D7000
Jun 10, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #4,081 of 7,464
That's about what I thought they'd be going for used right now. Was considering it to fund my HE 500 rig (W4S DAC-1, Audio-gd Phoenix, 4 Pin) end all be all rig, but I bought an E9i recently (got here today), and it reminded me how much I love the D7000.

It'll be in my collection at least awhile longer (I'm really bad about keeping things, lol)

How's the synergy? Because I wholeheartedly believe that the Denon's sound meshes so well with the curve that the E9 has.

I'm in withdrawal. Miss the D7000 so much.

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #4,082 of 7,464
i'm home from college for a bit and just picked up some D7k's. my mother was, for some odd reason, very upset to find that i'd spent the majority of the money i'd made working this past year on a pair of headphones, but i forced her to sit down and put them on. after close to 20 minutes of me shuffling through FLACs of songs she knows and loves (michael jackson, aerosmith, etc...) she was literally dancing in her chair with a huge grin on her face. she then took them off finally and said, "i can't believe how much stuff i'm hearing that i'd never heard before... it doesn't make me want to spend that much on headphones, but i absolutely understand why you did."

at any rate, i'm absolutely floored. well, i actually have to say that i wasn't surprised at all by them; when i first put them on i just smiled huge and began typing up the ebay auctions for my pro 900s and 990/600s as music pumped through the d7k's. from the research i did, in this thread an others, i'd basically concluded that the d7k's would take 95% of the bass slam and extension from the pro 900s, and have 95% of the soundstage and imaging capabilities of the 990's have, as well as having the more natural, detailed sound of the 990's. the d7k's do all of this and more. the combination of explosive bass, incredible detail in the treble, and unparalleled imaging (for a closed can especially) make them an absolutely awesome all-arounder. EDM still sounds just as good on the low end as the pro 900's, but there's so much more now in the other frequency ranges. and, if i want to listen to some rock or watch some tv or even game competitively... the D7k's stay on my head! truly, a phenomenal can in all regards. 

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #4,084 of 7,464

I've always been with you on the E9/D7000. The combo sounds great. 

I wasn't aware of the E9i, but I was considering picking up another E9 just for the D7000. Once I heard about the E9i I purchased it instantly. 

It sounds excellent playing files from my docked iPhone 4. 
Quote:
Quote:
That's about what I thought they'd be going for used right now. Was considering it to fund my HE 500 rig (W4S DAC-1, Audio-gd Phoenix, 4 Pin) end all be all rig, but I bought an E9i recently (got here today), and it reminded me how much I love the D7000.

It'll be in my collection at least awhile longer (I'm really bad about keeping things, lol)

How's the synergy? Because I wholeheartedly believe that the Denon's sound meshes so well with the curve that the E9 has.

I'm in withdrawal. Miss the D7000 so much.

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #4,085 of 7,464

Quote:

Mr. Toaster, you just need to admit to yourself that there is no "end all" rig for you!  You'll be after something else soon enough! 
tongue.gif

And it's OK... we're all right there with you... Head-fi is a lot like a support group for addicts!

The first step is admitting you're additcted...
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #4,086 of 7,464
Oh I'll admit it all day long. But there is a point that I'd need to stop spending at. Haha.

Quote:
 Mr. Toaster, you just need to admit to yourself that there is no "end all" rig for you!  You'll be after something else soon enough! 
tongue.gif

And it's OK... we're all right there with you... Head-fi is a lot like a support group for addicts!

tongue_smile.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #4,087 of 7,464

Quote:
tongue.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Hmm, I think I have reached the "end all" rig for myself 
biggrin.gif
. I've heard them all and am finally satisfied with my rig. It's tough to reach this point but it's possible 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #4,089 of 7,464
I said this in the other D7000 thread (vs. LCD2 one), but I just wanted to say it here too.

Well, sorry to sound like a fan-boy here, but you don't know what the D7000s can do until they are balanced with Zeus cable (I used Hex22).
The stock ones (SE) have a treble peak somewhere that's annoying, the bass is not transparent enough, and the detail-level is not on the level
of say, HD800s or T1s. But all that changed with the balancing I did, and now they are equals for me (and maybe w/o some flaws) of the other top phones.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #4,090 of 7,464
What are you actually using to push them that makes the balance so good?

Quote:
I said this in the other D7000 thread (vs. LCD2 one), but I just wanted to say it here too.

Well, sorry to sound like a fan-boy here, but you don't know what the D7000s can do until they are balanced with Zeus cable (I used Hex22).
The stock ones (SE) have a treble peak somewhere that's annoying, the bass is not transparent enough, and the detail-level is not on the level
of say, HD800s or T1s. But all that changed with the balancing I did, and now they are equals for me (and maybe w/o some flaws) of the other top phones.

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #4,091 of 7,464
Well, I should admit I have some high-end stuff here, but my before/after balancing impressions of the D7000s were with the same eqpt. And some phones just don't work so well with this eqpt.,
so I still think the balancing & recabling is what made the difference. The D7000s jumped a league with the balancing (too my surprise, actually).

EMM xds1 cdp ==> Apex Pinnacle  or  Rudistor rp010b, Stealth Indra/Sakra ICs,  Shunyata Anaconda Alpha & VX  & CX powercords, Shunyata V-Ray2 power conditioner.

I just mention the D7000s because they and my HD800s and T1s are my go-to phones now. The orthos are not.
The Denons are a real relaxing experience, with no painful aspects no matter what music I throw at it, & I appreciate that. But they are not blunted either, like 650s, say, can be.

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #4,092 of 7,464
i've been thoroughly enjoying my D7000's and am about to travel. i was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a decently cheap, yet well-constructed case that isn't huge (my only issue with the nice box they came in is that it's just impractical for light travel...) so that it might fit in a backpack or carryon. i'm sure some of you must travel with your d7ks! 

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #4,093 of 7,464
Good question! I've been wondering about a bag for mine, too. I was going to take mine home last weekend to try with my new vintage amps, but I was carrying a lot of stuff and the D7000 box is so cumbersome.

HeadRoom has some headphone bags here:

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headcase-bag-w-shoulder-strap.php

Does anyone here use these? Do they keep the D7000s safe from scratching?

Quote:
i've been thoroughly enjoying my D7000's and am about to travel. i was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a decently cheap, yet well-constructed case that isn't huge (my only issue with the nice box they came in is that it's just impractical for light travel...) so that it might fit in a backpack or carryon. i'm sure some of you must travel with your d7ks! 

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #4,094 of 7,464
Check out the 'what's in the bag' thread. I asked the same question a few weeks ago and he had a pretty good answer. Still need to buy it actually.

Quote:
Good question! I've been wondering about a bag for mine, too. I was going to take mine home last weekend to try with my new vintage amps, but I was carrying a lot of stuff and the D7000 box is so cumbersome.

HeadRoom has some headphone bags here:

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headcase-bag-w-shoulder-strap.php

Does anyone here use these? Do they keep the D7000s safe from scratching?

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #4,095 of 7,464
awesome replies, that's why i love head-fi 
L3000.gif
 looking at various choices now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back