Denon AH-D7000
May 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #3,931 of 7,464
Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll do some research now. My 901 was ultra quiet, truely black as night with the Denons. While I love Sound Devices' gear, and their ADC and DACs are beautiful (esp the former), their headamp stages are meh at best. It's the companies one weak spot in all of the gear I've used or owned from them.

For the record I'll use the DAC on my usbpre2 which has both balanced and unbalanced outs on it, just need something that won't hiss in front of the Denons. Thanks!

edit: picked up the E9, seemed to get decent reviews and the cheapest.

May 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #3,932 of 7,464
Seriously, I don't understand why people worry so much about how much the D7000 leaks. Hell it's beter than my HE4, and I can wear my HE4 in the house without disturbing my roomie the next room over. Yeah, if you're planning on listening to your cans in the same exact room, I can see how it can be an issue, but why do people need it to isolate SO much? It's just above barely audible. I don't know how ANYONE can complain under normal circumstances.

Obviously you're not married with young children. :wink:

That I do not, sir. :D

May 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #3,933 of 7,464
Congrats on 3k there. lol

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Seriously, I don't understand why people worry so much about how much the D7000 leaks. Hell it's beter than my HE4, and I can wear my HE4 in the house without disturbing my roomie the next room over. Yeah, if you're planning on listening to your cans in the same exact room, I can see how it can be an issue, but why do people need it to isolate SO much? It's just above barely audible. I don't know how ANYONE can complain under normal circumstances.

Obviously you're not married with young children.
wink.gif

That I do not, sir.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #3,934 of 7,464
One thing that I've noticed for sure in this forum is that people tends to overreact to everything for better or worse.  I'm married with children and the leakage D7000 has is hardly an issue in my family, as I said before HD598 was.

May 31, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #3,936 of 7,464
My AMP/DAC always gets ignored but for a "budget" it's a phenomenal AMP. 

Audio-GD FUN.

Powerful enough to kick the Denon's really good.  SUN opamp is bright which complements the Denon's great. 

May 31, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #3,937 of 7,464

Quote:
Any recommendations on a cheap amp that is black as night quiet when paired with the 7ks and neutral/cold/clean? I was using a Grace 901 which fit the bill and had to sell it to fund other gear purchases and my backup, while accomplishing many other things, doesn't work nearly as well. I think it's an impedance mismatch that creates the hiss, but in case it isn't, what's a cheapo amp I can use while I save scratch for another 901/902/SPL amp?

bonus points if it takes a balanced connection (either TRS or XLR), but really I'm just interested in a cheap interim fix.
bigsmile_face.gif

Even though I slightly prefer the warmth of my EF5, black as night quiet and neutral/cold/clean exactly describes the Meier Concerto with the 7000s. And I just happen to have one for sale :) - PM me if interested.

I bought it because Skylab said it's the best amp he's heard the 7000s with so far.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #3,938 of 7,464
I recently bought a pair of D7000's. They're my first high-end headphones I've ever purchased and they are absolutely amazing! Thanks to the many many informative posts on this site which lead me to this purchase.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #3,939 of 7,464
Just tried the LCD-2s vs the Denons. I prefer not just the D7000 but the D2000 to them, and by an enormous margin. Check this out if you wish: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547538/audez-e-lcd-2-vs-denon-d7000/75#post_7512234

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #3,940 of 7,464

Quote:
Just tried the LCD-2s vs the Denons. I prefer not just the D7000 but the D2000 to them, and by an enormous margin. Check this out if you wish: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547538/audez-e-lcd-2-vs-denon-d7000/75#post_7512234

That just goes to show you everyone has a different taste.  A lot of people say the LCD-2's are a superior headphone, which I believe they "technically" are, but they definitely are not as fun or as easy to drive as the D7000's.  You definitely are not even close to running the LCD-2's how they're supposed to be ran but not everyone wants to pay an extra $1000 just to drive a headphone. 

Anyways it's always good to try something new instead of just writing it off.  I'm glad you actually made the jump to see what they were all about though.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #3,941 of 7,464

Quote:
That just goes to show you everyone has a different taste.  A lot of people say the LCD-2's are a superior headphone, which I believe they "technically" are, but they definitely are not as fun or as easy to drive as the D7000's.  You definitely are not even close to running the LCD-2's how they're supposed to be ran but not everyone wants to pay an extra $1000 just to drive a headphone. 

Anyways it's always good to try something new instead of just writing it off.  I'm glad you actually made the jump to see what they were all about though.

Yea I'm glad I won't be left wondering about them. Honestly even if I had some $10000 amp I wouldn't keep these, it's embarrassing to wear them unless you live alone. They're certainly technically superior, but that along with neutrality, frequency response, etc means nothing to me because in the end, all that matters is how pleasant it sounds to my ears.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #3,942 of 7,464
Honestly think you'd like them with proper amplification. I do agree about the looks though...One of the reasons I bought the HE 500 over the LCD-2. 

On a side note I pulled an old SX-225R Pioneer out of the garage while I wait for my father to give me info on the McIntosh I might get from him...200 wpc on the 225R. Oh my gooooooooooooood. D7000 and HE 500 sound amazing...

HE 500 has so much juice...Only hits maybe 10 o clock to be at rockin' levels. Decco2 sat at 2 o clock for those levels, to give you a comparison.

Quote:
Yea I'm glad I won't be left wondering about them. Honestly even if I had some $10000 amp I wouldn't keep these, it's embarrassing to wear them unless you live alone. They're certainly technically superior, but that along with neutrality, frequency response, etc means nothing to me because in the end, all that matters is how pleasant it sounds to my ears.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #3,943 of 7,464

Quote:
Honestly think you'd like them with proper amplification. I do agree about the looks though...One of the reasons I bought the HE 500 over the LCD-2. 

On a side note I pulled an old SX-225R Pioneer out of the garage while I wait for my father to give me info on the McIntosh I might get from him...200 wpc on the 225R. Oh my gooooooooooooood. D7000 and HE 500 sound amazing...

HE 500 has so much juice...Only hits maybe 10 o clock to be at rockin' levels. Decco2 sat at 2 o clock for those levels, to give you a comparison.

What do you use your HE 500 for over D7000s?

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #3,945 of 7,464

Interesting! I havn't tried anything but orthos on my vintage Pioneer... I think I'll try the D7k with it for tonight's listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back