Denon AH-D7000
May 30, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #3,916 of 7,464
It's pretty simple: Yes, the D7000's do not isolate well. In exchange for this, they gain possibly the best soundstage in a closed can (I haven't heard Ed 7-10). If you REALLY need something that isolates well, look elsewhere.

May 30, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #3,918 of 7,464
Just a correction in that the Ed 10 is an open-back design with no isolation. OTOH, in comparison with the D7000, the Ed 8 offers a seal-tight isolation and an incredibly vast soundstage as well.

Quote:
It's pretty simple: Yes, the D7000's do not isolate well. In exchange for this, they gain possibly the best soundstage in a closed can (I haven't heard Ed 7-10). If you REALLY need something that isolates well, look elsewhere.

May 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #3,919 of 7,464

Quote:
OTOH, in comparison with the D7000, the Ed 8 offers a seal-tight isolation and an incredibly vast soundstage as well.

Indeed.  It is that combination of traits that make the Ed 8 the best closed headphone currently in production, IMO.  The Ed 8 are also more nuanced and transparent than the D7000.

Unfortunately, the Ed 8 are expensive.  Worth it, for me, for sure, but not doable for many, I am sure, and the D7000 are outstanding headphones for the money.

May 30, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #3,920 of 7,464
Any recommendations on a cheap amp that is black as night quiet when paired with the 7ks and neutral/cold/clean? I was using a Grace 901 which fit the bill and had to sell it to fund other gear purchases and my backup, while accomplishing many other things, doesn't work nearly as well. I think it's an impedance mismatch that creates the hiss, but in case it isn't, what's a cheapo amp I can use while I save scratch for another 901/902/SPL amp?

bonus points if it takes a balanced connection (either TRS or XLR), but really I'm just interested in a cheap interim fix.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #3,921 of 7,464
Gilmore lite is good, even cheaper is a KICAS. I think they both work pretty good with the denons

Quote:
Any recommendations on a cheap amp that is black as night quiet when paired with the 7ks and neutral/cold/clean? I was using a Grace 901 which fit the bill and had to sell it to fund other gear purchases and my backup, while accomplishing many other things, doesn't work nearly as well. I think it's an impedance mismatch that creates the hiss, but in case it isn't, what's a cheapo amp I can use while I save scratch for another 901/902/SPL amp?

bonus points if it takes a balanced connection (either TRS or XLR), but really I'm just interested in a cheap interim fix.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #3,923 of 7,464

agree but also cost twice as much.
Quote:
Gilmore lite with the DPS is a much better amp than the KICAS but they both amp the denons well.

May 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #3,927 of 7,464
Any recommendations on a cheap amp that is black as night quiet when paired with the 7ks and neutral/cold/clean?

FiiO E7/E9 combo.

If you need a DAC too I'd spring for something a little better than the E7. The E9 is an outstanding pair with it though. Buy that, pair it with your current DAC.

If you need a combo unit go for the Yulong D100. It was my favorite pair with the D7000 I've heard yet. Also heard the Icon HDP pairs amazingly with them for around that Yulong price as well.

May 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #3,928 of 7,464
Nuforce Icon HDP.  It's bright(ish)/neutral, absolutely black background and has top notch synergy with the Denons.

May 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #3,930 of 7,464
Seriously, I don't understand why people worry so much about how much the D7000 leaks. Hell it's beter than my HE4, and I can wear my HE4 in the house without disturbing my roomie the next room over. Yeah, if you're planning on listening to your cans in the same exact room, I can see how it can be an issue, but why do people need it to isolate SO much? It's just above barely audible. I don't know how ANYONE can complain under normal circumstances.

Obviously you're not married with young children. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back