Denon AH-D7000
Jan 26, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2,761 of 7,464

How would you saw the Lawton mod affects the sound signature?  I am a staunch non-believer in cables, but how about the new cups and Markl modding?
Quote:
Quote:
It is rather discouraging to hear that the D2000/D5000 beat out the D7000 in terms of sub bass quantity.  I've considered the D7000 as the end to my headphone journey, balanced with a nice balanced amp, sometime down the road.  I've listened to the D2000 enough to know its sound signature pretty well, and when I bought the Pro 900s, I found the Ultrasones to have more bass, both in quantity and quality.  I don't know if I could go back to a headphone with less bass, but maybe the D7000 is so good at other things that I would still think it was awesome.  

Only time will tell.  I hope to hear it someday soon... 

I swore to never go back to the D2000 after listening to the D7000.  I do remember that the first thing I noticed was that the bass didn't hit as hard, the mids weren't as recessed, and the highs were more prominent.  With the D7000 you own a piece of art and to me it overall just felt higher quality and had a more enjoyable sound signature.  I admit I did miss the huge sub bass but it was more so like giving up quantity for quality. 

It's been quite a while since I've listened to those headphones in their stock form though so it's all from memory.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #2,762 of 7,464

Quote:
How would you saw the Lawton mod affects the sound signature?  I am a staunch non-believer in cables, but how about the new cups and Markl modding?
Quote:
Quote:
It is rather discouraging to hear that the D2000/D5000 beat out the D7000 in terms of sub bass quantity.  I've considered the D7000 as the end to my headphone journey, balanced with a nice balanced amp, sometime down the road.  I've listened to the D2000 enough to know its sound signature pretty well, and when I bought the Pro 900s, I found the Ultrasones to have more bass, both in quantity and quality.  I don't know if I could go back to a headphone with less bass, but maybe the D7000 is so good at other things that I would still think it was awesome.  

I swore to never go back to the D2000 after listening to the D7000.  I do remember that the first thing I noticed was that the bass didn't hit as hard, the mids weren't as recessed, and the highs were more prominent.  With the D7000 you own a piece of art and to me it overall just felt higher quality and had a more enjoyable sound signature.  I admit I did miss the huge sub bass but it was more so like giving up quantity for quality. 

It's been quite a while since I've listened to those headphones in their stock form though so it's all from memory.

Well I can say that the cups and markL mod did some noticeable changes in the sound signature.  However I don't know too much about the cable as I've never really gotten a chance to compare a stock D7000 to a D7000 with the jena labs cable.  The thing is that you can hear the difference in the changes but unless you do the mod one at a time you can't really compare how much one thing affects the sound signature.  The MarkL cups were already sound deadened when I got them so all my impressions are based off of that.

At the time the only thing I had to compare to my LA7000's were a pair of LA7000 lites.  The wood alone in the cups change the sound signature so I couldn't be too sure how much the cable affected it.  I do know that the harder the wood is, the more tight the bass is and the more the highs will be present.  I have kal cedar on my current LA7000's (which are a lighter wood) and they are more musical than the african mohagany cups I used to have.  They have a warmer sound signature, the bass is less tight but more impactful, and the highs are less sibilant.  The kal cedar weighed in at about 55 grams while the african mohagany was around 76 grams so that was a pretty big difference in weight.  Also to clarify I did switch the wooden cups from my LA7000 to my LA7000 lites and it was still a noticeable difference despite the jena labs cable.  Overall listening to the D7000's with the african mohagany cups had a tight and defined sound signature and it seemed almost high definition compared to the kal cedar because of all the details I could hear.  However the kal cedar, although not being as tight, seemed to envelop me more into the music.  It was a more forgiving and lush experience than the more detailed and tighter african mohagany. 

I do feel like the upgraded cups are better as they have benefits such as looking outstanding (not to say the stock cups don't), adding more sound stage to the headphone, and you can get a pair to better suit the music you listen to (different woods have a different sound signature). 

I know there are some people out there that don't want to mod their headphones, and it's all personal preference, but the LA cups are a fully reversible mod that only takes like 10 minutes to do.  The D7000 is a marvelous headphone and I've owned many pairs of them but at stock form it's not nearly at it's potential.  There is much more to squeeze out of it but you have to pay to play.  If you like your D7000's the way they are then so be it but you'll never know how much better they can be if you don't try it.  I for one am totally satisfied that I modded mine and I will not be going back to a stock pair. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #2,763 of 7,464
selling all your cans? (sig)

upgrading to something else or just getting out of the game entirely?

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #2,764 of 7,464

Quote:
selling all your cans? (sig)

upgrading to something else or just getting out of the game entirely?

Mostly just trying to get rid of the LA2000 lite and the HD650.  I was planning on downgrading to the LA2000 lite for money concerns but every time I put on my LA7000's I think to myself, "I must be out of my god damn mind to even think about selling these".  You probably know exactly what I'm talking about since you've owned a D2000 before and now a D7000.  The D7000's are just a more refined headphone in pretty much every single way from a D2000. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #2,765 of 7,464
I know what you mean.  Fortunately, all of the cans in my "past" section were RMA'd within their return windows.  I was trying to figure out a way to justify keeping the 650's...but could not.  The Denons are just better in almost every way.  The things the 650 does a little better weren't compelling enough to warrant keeping them.  I know I wouldn't use them if I did keep them anyway.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #2,766 of 7,464

Quote:
I know what you mean.  Fortunately, all of the cans in my "past" section were RMA'd within their return windows.  I was trying to figure out a way to justify keeping the 650's...but could not.  The Denons are just better in almost every way.  The things the 650 does a little better weren't compelling enough to warrant keeping them.  I know I wouldn't use them if I did keep them anyway.

Yea in the grand scheme of things all we need is one headphone.  It's nice to have a change of sound signature every now and then but I could find 250+ reasons to not have an extra pair of HD650's that I never use.  In my opinion the Denons just offer a better musical experience a it actually envelopes you into the music.  It's all really personal preference but sometimes people just wanna enjoy the music rather than hear the natural timbre and the transients of an orchestra conductor's mustache rubbing upon his baton. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #2,767 of 7,464

Quote:
Yea in the grand scheme of things all we need is one headphone.  It's nice to have a change of sound signature every now and then but I could find 250+ reasons to not have an extra pair of HD650's that I never use.  In my opinion the Denons just offer a better musical experience a it actually envelopes you into the music.  It's all really personal preference but sometimes people just wanna enjoy the music rather than hear the natural timbre and the transients of an orchestra conductor's mustache rubbing upon his baton. 

Yes, the D7000 does envelope you inthe music.
But as for the natural timbre... I think the D7k (with my rig and source files) produces a remarkably natural and realistic sound. I also find them remarkably revealing and clear. As for  the sound of the "...mustache rubbing upon his baton";  the D7k reproduces it flawlessly. 
wink_face.gif

Yeah... sure, they're slightly on the warm side of Neutral, but that suites my tastes as well. 
atsmile.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2,768 of 7,464
Any of you guys heard both HD 650 and D5k ? I'm really torn between these headphones and i cannot make the choice, i won't be able to hear them in a retail store before purchase. I can't afford the D7K as it's twice the price of the D5k here in EU.

D5k cost around €500
HD650 cost €300 but will need proper amp so the price won't be too different

Please help me
biggrin.gif
what is the more enjoyable to listen to ?

Music preferences : rock / electronic / jazz are the main ones , i listen to nearly all genres

thanks a lot !!
darthsmile.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2,769 of 7,464

Quote:
Any of you guys heard both HD 650 and D5k ? I'm really torn between these headphones and i cannot make the choice, i won't be able to hear them in a retail store before purchase. I can't afford the D7K as it's twice the price of the D5k here in EU.

D5k cost around €500

Please help me
biggrin.gif

Music preferences : rock / electronic / jazz are the main ones , i listen to nearly all genres

thanks a lot !!
darthsmile.gif

I kept my D5000s as well as quite a few other canz.

I got rid of the 650s.

I always wonder about folks that like them.

Any more questions?

BTW,   I'm beginning to wonder about you...

biggrin.gif

N.B  The D5000s and D7000s are liking bolting a complete Home Sound System to your skull, complete with Sub.

Les.JPG
Les.JPG

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2,770 of 7,464
I've listened to the D2000, I own the D7000, and I've had more than my fair share of listening time with my friend's HD650 (he owns both the 650 and D7000).  We both agree that overall the D7000 are more fun.  There are a few genre where the HD650 sound nicer (e.g. Enya type music) but for anything else forget it...D7000 all the way.  Plus I don't know what your budget is or where you're looking for pricing but the D7000 can be had well under the MSRP of $999.  Just saying... :)

EDIT:  I see you like rock and electronic (I presume you mean techno, trance type stuff)...forget it...end of discussion get the Denon's.  :)

Quote:

D5k cost around €500

Please help me
biggrin.gif

thanks a lot !!
darthsmile.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2,771 of 7,464

Quote:

D5k cost around €500

Please help me
biggrin.gif

thanks a lot !!
darthsmile.gif

Yea, I've never owned a D5000 but I've own a modified D2000 (same drivers in both the D2000/D5000).  The HD650 just can't compare to the fun and excitement that the Denons give out.  If I were in your situation I'd probably just go with a D2000 since it's a bit cheaper and you could always upgrade to wooden cups later on down the road.  Plus it's kind of absurd to pay 500 euro for a D5000 when you could get a LA modded D2000 for $525 american + shipping from me =)

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #2,772 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:

ROFL

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2,773 of 7,464
I have owned the HD600 and listened to HD650's several times and I would agree with other's comparison between the D7000 and the HD650, the D7000 is a nicer and funner sounding headphone in my opinion.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #2,775 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well I can say that the cups and markL mod did some noticeable changes in the sound signature.  

<snip>

I for one am totally satisfied that I modded mine and I will not be going back to a stock pair. 

I did everything except the cable change (wasn't worth it to me for what they were offering, to each their own) and I've heard non-modded with J$ pads and here are the big things I noticed:

I think it's more balanced across the spectrum, I thought the stock unit with J$ pads had two general issues; 1) it was a smiley face (more bass and more 8khz and up). 2) There was a hole at 400hz to the order of about 3db, maybe more. That's fine for a lot of albums where you can afford to lose some information there and clearly separate the bass area from everything else, but it creates a void for others. The pads resolved the bass curve, but didn't fix the HF curve (or the trough). There are a couple of holes and spikes in the 7000s, 1db here and there, nothing big except for the 400hz area. The markl mod gets rid of those well enough, except for that trough around 400hz which it minimizes (within say 2db or so) enough so if I'm just listening I don't notice it (only when I'm doing work on stuff does it bug me and that's not every time). While I haven't heard the T1, this is the ying to the HD800 yang; they both have problems, it's just which flaw would you rather put up with.

I don't regret getting them modded at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back