Denon AH-D7000
Aug 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #2,056 of 7,464

Quote:
They are only calibrated to 0db at 1khz - all of them.  Forget about what the numbers on the Y axis are saying - look at each graph individually and pay attention to the shape of the line and how it deviates from flat...This will give you a clear understanding of how to interpret the FR curve and indicates a very good estimation of how a can will sound.  It's never thrown any surprises at me - except you have to beware with closed cans bass response always seem somewhat higher than the graph indicates - you noticed this yourself with the D7000's.

P.S.  Discard the values on the y axis - look at them - negative decibels make no logical sense whatsoever.

Yes, this value is almost arbitrary and is for reference (basis) purposes only. You can move either plot up or down to make overall comparisons more logical, but of course this will move the 1khz value, though irrespective of the total sonic read.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #2,057 of 7,464

Quote:
Not a bad system. But if you think boomy and slightly sloppy bass is what was intended over tight, deep and defined...that's your two cents. And with regards to sounding like good speakers: How about mids that aren't recessed and something called sound stage imaging with incredible detail retrieval?

But then again, you've been here a month and are already an expert on everything
rolleyes.gif

Is there such a can that is perfect? They have there strength's and weakeness's, depending on you preference you may choose one. So for you to say the HD800 is better, period, is only your subjective opionion.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #2,058 of 7,464

Quote:

Is there such a can that is perfect? They have there strength's and weakeness's, depending on you preference you may choose one. So for you to say the HD800 is better, period, is only your subjective opionion.

Absolutely it is...an opinion from someone who owns both and has listened to both rather extensively. Technically; however,  the arguments becomes more objective though.

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #2,059 of 7,464
My incredibly competent family never answered the door for the FedEx guy... I could have killed someone... heres hoping for tomorrow.

as far as a headphone being better, as long as you think it is perfect... it is in your personal reality, and thats all you reallyneed. When you start converting other people, thats when you get butthurt or rude.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #2,060 of 7,464

Quote:
My incredibly competent family never answered the door for the FedEx guy... I could have killed someone... heres hoping for tomorrow.

as far as a headphone being better, as long as you think it is perfect... it is in your personal reality, and thats all you reallyneed. When you start converting other people, thats when you get butthurt or rude.

No one is converting anyone. Depending on what I'm listening to, I prefer the D7000s. But to call the HD800s rubbish is simply wrong and technically as good as the D7000s are, they are not up to the standards of the T1s, HD800s, and I'm sure the LCD-2s (which you will shortly find out).

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #2,061 of 7,464

How about the LA7000?  Considering they seemed to be designed with a similar goal in mind with the driver positioning.  Really considering whether I should get the D7000's early or go straight for that mod.
Quote:

I auditioned them with a top of the line Marantz CD player, through the Lehmann Black Cube, is that good enough for you?

Bass was not what i would call, what the artist intended, sorry. My 2 cents. Soundstage was not what i would describe neutral, exagerated more like it. My 2 cents

D7000 are coloured, but sound more like real speakers.

Another angle is that I have heard the HD800 sounds better through a quality tube amp.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #2,063 of 7,464

Quote:
How about the LA7000?  Considering they seemed to be designed with a similar goal in mind with the driver positioning.  Really considering whether I should get the D7000's early or go straight for that mod.

I would say see how you find the D7000 after 100hrs, then if your not completely satisfied, upgrade to the LA mod.

Personaly I am quite happy with them stock at the moment. Good thing is you can always buy the mods later on.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #2,064 of 7,464
sound advice hdman,   imo the d7000 really had a noticeable burn in change for the better,, the highs mellowed and became smooth and the bass tightened and punched more. they still remain my favorite phones.   i simply cannot find another phone that punchs  harder i have looked everywhere.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #2,065 of 7,464
I personally preferred the D7000 over the HD800.  I'm not claiming the D7000 is *better* - but I enjoy the D7000 more.

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #2,066 of 7,464

Quote:
I am entitled to my opinion.....
tongue_smile.gif

Yes you are, just as MacedonianHero is entitled to disagree with it. I think you must be the first person that I have seen in these forum threads dismiss the HD800 as rubbish. That kind of exaggerated statement is just asking to be scrutinised and dissected. I think that MacedonianHero has done a rather nice job of it.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #2,067 of 7,464

Quote:
I personally preferred the D7000 over the HD800.  I'm not claiming the D7000 is *better* - but I enjoy the D7000 more.

My thoughts exactly.........

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #2,068 of 7,464

Quote:
No one is converting anyone. Depending on what I'm listening to, I prefer the D7000s. But to call the HD800s rubbish is simply wrong and technically as good as the D7000s are, they are not up to the standards of the T1s, HD800s, and I'm sure the LCD-2s (which you will shortly find out).

I was not addressing you, so no worries!

I sincerely hope that I find the LCD-2 a lot better than the D7000, as hard as I find that to believe at this point.

But yeah.. hopefully they will get here today... They are not "out for delivery yet"... so :frowning2:

Did you get a chance to listen to the D7000 without the cups? I have not had a chance to do this yet. From what I understand, the drivers themselves are greatly underrated around these parts.

If you do, let me know what you think. I will report back... after I finish cleaning my room :wink:

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #2,070 of 7,464
got them!!! :D

They are kinda like a D7000 meets a HD 600 like I said in the LCD-2 thread.

Very great bass response, with less bloat and no boom, while having excellent tonality and speed. 

I want to listen though instead of ranting right now, so please excuse me.

Here is some stuff though.

Anyone who likes the D7000 will most likely dig the LCD-2 as it keeps everything I like and fixes everything that left something to be desired. D7000 sound more like amazing speakers, while the LCD-2 sounds like I am actually there.

And, well as I am sure he new, macedonianhero was right haha. They do make the D7000 sound somewhat congested, but more so at loud levels. low levels the D7000 are fine, but when you crank them it is problematic. The LCD-2 are very hard not to crank due to the nonexistence of bloat or distortion, as well as "perfect" linearity. 

How much of it has to do with being open, I am unsure, but I would guess a fair amount, and the rest is the technical supremacy of the LCD-2, as well as ruler flat response down to 10hz. I will test open D7000 vs LCD-2 soon... when I feel like I wan't another headphone on. Newheadphoneitis right now :wink:.

Highs are totally a non issue, they do not sound dark or muted at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back