Denon AH-D7000
Feb 18, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #1,621 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening/burning in my 7000's for about 36 hours. A friend just stopped over with his d5000's and headroom micro stack for a little comparison. I didn't have a ton of time and I'm not great with descriptions anyway, but for what it's worth I thought the difference was interesting. The 5000's seemed to go deeper on the bass but at the cost of some clarity. It seemed as if the two phones had a similar range, but the 5000's had a range that started deeper and the 7000's had a range that went higher. I'll try to set up another comparison after mine have had more time to burn in and when I have more time for critical listening. Now I just have to decide if I need a ss amp to pair with them......

To my ears, I thought the 5000's had more bass quantity/volume, while the 7000's actually went down lower in frequency response. X2 on bass clarity and extended treble for the 7000's. BTW, I like SS with'em.

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #1,622 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, I thought the 5000's had more bass quantity/volume, while the 7000's actually went down lower in frequency response. X2 on bass clarity and extended treble for the 7000's. BTW, I like SS with'em.

I agree with half of this assessment. I totally agree with the bass description, but I did prefer them with tubes (but I usually do...
biggrin.gif
).

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #1,623 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is obviously a thread to be found on this, but I wonder how a fully Dynamat mod'd MD5000 compares, bass-wise, to a D7000. It seems that if the stock D5000 has more bass presence, but the D7000 has more control/range, then there is a possibility that the tightening of the bass in the MD5000 may bring its bottom end closer to that of the flagship Denon cans(?). Any truth to these well-wishes?

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #1,624 of 7,457
Jmoney pads finesse bass very well on D5000.

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #1,625 of 7,457
just bought the jmoney pads from headroom for the d7000's
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #1,626 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with half of this assessment. I totally agree with the bass description, but I did prefer them with tubes (but I usually do...
biggrin.gif
).

I've read (repeatedly) that low 'z' headphones require more current than most otl tube amps can deliver. Can anyone describe how the d7000's would sound with a ss amp (high current) vs how they would sound with a tube amp (high voltage)-assuming everything else stays constant?

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #1,627 of 7,457
Quote:

I've read (repeatedly) that low 'z' headphones require more current than most otl tube amps can deliver. Can anyone describe how the d7000's would sound with a ss amp (high current) vs how they would sound with a tube amp (high voltage)-assuming everything else stays constant?

I've read that too. BUT, my D5000s sound awesome with my Darkvoice 337SE and my Audio-GD Phoenix.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #1,628 of 7,457
My D7000 sounds great with my Decware CSP-2, too, which is OTL tube. The biggest issue with low impedance headphones is a mismatch with the output impedance of OTL tube amps - ometimes it works fine - sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the amp. There are no absolutes
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #1,629 of 7,457
I know grados are known to be very easy to power but so far I have tried different sources with or without amp and Denons are easier to please than grados
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #1,630 of 7,457
Quote:

This is a general rule of thumb, but I found that the D7000 and RS1s are incredible with my tube amp. Actually the MAD Ear+HD / RS1i pairing is the best I've heard. So there are exceptions to the rule....

The K701/2 however is not an exception and for me has always sounded better on a SS amp of less $$$ than a more expensive tube amp.

Perfect example: WA2/MAD Ear+HD go for about $700 and I much preferred the sound from a $159 Total Bithead or even $99 NuForce uDAC with the K701/2.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #1,631 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is obviously a thread to be found on this, but I wonder how a fully Dynamat mod'd MD5000 compares, bass-wise, to a D7000. It seems that if the stock D5000 has more bass presence, but the D7000 has more control/range, then there is a possibility that the tightening of the bass in the MD5000 may bring its bottom end closer to that of the flagship Denon cans(?). Any truth to these well-wishes?

I directly compared the MD5000 SE stock cable to a balanced re-cabled D7000 with JMoney's. The Markl mod definitely brings the 2 signatures closer to one another.

The 7000's did however edge out the the MD5000 with regards to bass presence, control, impact, and definition along with better treble extension. That being said, I expected an even larger gap in performance favoring the 7000's. Simply put though, the 7000's just have better drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
).

I should clarify that my SS statement is based on my experience with the Phoenix, which made my RPX-33 sound thin comparitively.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #1,632 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do personally prefer listening to the D7000 over the HD800, but the HD800 is the technically superior headphone in many regards, and does perform better in quite a few dimensions. I just prefer music on the D7000
biggrin.gif

But oqvist hit the nail on the head - if you pay $2000 AUS for the HD800, and you decide you don't like them, you have some hope of recovering most of the money. If you pay $2100 AUS for Denon D7000, you have no hope of recovering that. And moreover, it just isn't worth it!!!

But anyway, this is silly - if you go to pricejapan.com, you can get the D7000 shipped to AUS for $1000 AUS - I just checked. So there is NO need to pay $2100 AUS for these.

OMG!!! Just checked it out - went straight to STAX. With amp under $4000
I auditioned these in an Australian store two weeks ago - RRP $9999 - 10 grand!!! I have never ever purchased anything on line - ever.

I am now educating myself on overseas transactions

Skylab - you are a true gentleman.
redface.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #1,633 of 7,457
Omg I finally got these from JR and THEY ARE EVERYTHING I WANTED. I forgot what good bass sounded like after all my time with a HD595. I know this is cliche but I hear more things with the D7000 compared to my HD595. Definatly more engaging in the music.

However only gripe is that the isolation is kind of weak and soundstage alot smaller than the HD595 but I'll live cause I'll be in musical ecstasy.

Also I have no idea what people mean by recessed mids. Vocals (which I assume are in the mids) are just as strong as the bass and highs. Am I not getting the term right?

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #1,634 of 7,457
Can anyone help?

I will order the D7000 from Japan at PriceJapan.com and have it sent to Australia. I am new to this and the sight asks for a preference of delivery either by DHL which is dearer or EMS which is cheaper. Difference in perice between the two delivery methods is $100. What is the difference b/ween DHL or EMS - the sight recommended DHL - are these different transport mechanisms eg, airfreight or shipfreight? Do I just pay $100 more and stick to the recommended DHL method.

Secondly - payment method - is PAYPAL a universal internet purchasing payment method - should I join? I can then ebay and stuff- correct?

I choose the wire transfer method and the sight informs me that they have an Australian bank account and supplies the details. My internet banking has a limit of $1000 electronic transfer via internet - so this is not possible. Hence I personally go to my bank and request transfer of $1030 to this supplied account. OK so far so good.

I guess they will track a deposit to their account and track it to my order. BUT...What if they don't - I would have paid for the goods already and if they do not send - what are my safety nets?

Sorry for appearing so naive, I really am a simpleton - is there anyone here that deals with this site and can put to rest my uncertainty.

Thanks.

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #1,635 of 7,457
Personally I like using paypal, it makes it very easy to do payment online without looking at for your credit card everything and when ordering stuff from japan I usually use ems instead of dhl (both can be tracked online). It is a few days slower but there is a bigger chance that you won't have to pay the import tax
smily_headphones1.gif
With DHL on international orders, I have to pay the import tax every times it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back