Denon AH-D7000
Jun 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #976 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm concerned that in two weeks I'll get a call that the phones are in, but that upon review they can not honor the agreed upon price, and that if I want them the price will be $549 (The price that they originally wanted) or more. At that point if I say no they've added another month to the time when I might actually receive the Headphones. That little legalize disclaimer in their e-receipt gives them the opportunity to screw us. The price is the price. Their little disclaimer means that in the future I will seriously reconsider doing business with J&R.

I waited something like 6 weeks for the D7000 from J&R so I wouldn't worry about them delaying them out of some pricing dispute. J&R is a good seller, you just have to wait till they have it in stock. I did pay the $550 or whatever it was at the time. J&R has to put that stuff in the disclaimer in today's legalistic society.

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #977 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone actually received their D7000's that they ordered from J&R at the great price?

The fine print in J&R's email receipt concerns me:

I was put on hold while the salesperson checked to see if the price was OK, and yet they reserve the right to cancel or change the order. IMO the only justifiable reason to cancel the order would be if they can no longer get the item, and there is NO reason to change (Price?) the order. I loath legalize.
angry_face.gif

I'm concerned that in two weeks I'll get a call that the phones are in, but that upon review they can not honor the agreed upon price, and that if I want them the price will be $549 (The price that they originally wanted) or more. At that point if I say no they've added another month to the time when I might actually receive the Headphones. That little legalize disclaimer in their e-receipt gives them the opportunity to screw us. The price is the price. Their little disclaimer means that in the future I will seriously reconsider doing business with J&R.

I once ordered a bunch of CD boxed sets from them that were all on sale for a great price. Ended up getting a message back that all but one were out of stock and that they were canceling my order on the others. Shortly after this the sets were all listed as in stock on their website and at substantially higher prices. May have been a price screw-up on their part but I was still pissed. Hopefully the headphone deal continues as advertised as I'd like to get a pair.

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #978 of 7,464
So Far, J & R has shown great customer service!! When I got impatient about the wait, I called and was assisted in placing my order on hold at the frozen price. They even called evry two weeks to make sure I wanted to keep the order on hold.
They've sold many sets to Head-Fier's over the past few months and they have always stood by thier promissed pre-order prices. All of the vendor except the really high full retail dealers are having a hrad time getting stock. Try to be patient and trust J&R. They'll come through for you. They have a good rep here and I'm sure they want to keep it that way.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #979 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Schu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once ordered a bunch of CD boxed sets from them that were all on sale for a great price. Ended up getting a message back that all but one were out of stock and that they were canceling my order on the others. Shortly after this the sets were all listed as in stock on their website and at substantially higher prices. May have been a price screw-up on their part but I was still pissed. Hopefully the headphone deal continues as advertised as I'd like to get a pair.

You should have kept in touch with CS and called their bluff on that one. A computer company did that to a bunch of folks on a CPU they had marked down too low, and said it was out of stock. We just waited a few days until their website said it was in stock, and then resubmitted the order through a CSR.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #980 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest and man I hate to say this, but the PS1000 didn't impress me. Of course I had only a short time to listen to it. First they were so big and heavy, like a weighted football helmet on my head...lol. I didn't notice much of a difference from my GS1000's(soundwise) either. I also thought that the HF-2 and the PS1000 sounded quite similar, with the HF-2 being much smaller and more comfortable. I enjoyed the RS-1 sound more. Once again though, I didn't have much time to listen and the environment was somewhat noisy. I was there early before the huge crowds.
I was listening to my D-7000's last night and they are still fabulous. The HD800 is probably the can to try if you want to squeak out just a bit more air and space and realism. Like I said I think the D-7000 and the HD800 would be great compliments for all kinds of music and recordings. Just my opinion....

More of what I expected... improvements in SQ are just not proportionate to increases in investment in audio equipment - not even close.

But... at the extreme price premiums of the HD800s and PS1000s, I would expect a much greater improvement in SQ... than to just "squeak out a bit more air, space and realism."

Paying such extreme price premiums for subtle improvements in SQ is really just the domain of those with the most extreme cases of OCD, who are compelled to attain such subtle improvements, at any price.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #981 of 7,464
love my grado gs1000i. have them for 3 months now. time flies
especially like the way some 1950's recordings of rubinstein sound on them through either grace m902b or headroom max amps.
making these old mono recordings almost modern.

and to answer an earlier question on j&r
i got the ah-d7000 at the store last december for $550.
they usually stock 1 at the flagship store and another at their brooklyn warehouse, so they still tell me.

paul

ef8bc57c07af57ace2b1a928537f847e.jpg

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #982 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
love my grado gs1000i. have them for 3 months now. time flies
especially like the way some 1950's recordings of rubinstein sound on them through either grace m902b or headroom max amps.
making these old mono recordings almost modern.

and to answer an earlier question on j&r
i got the ah-d7000 at the store last december for $550.
they usually stock 1 at the flagship store and another at their brooklyn warehouse, so they still tell me.

paul

ef8bc57c07af57ace2b1a928537f847e.jpg

Paul,
As I read your message, I happen to be listening to Rubinstein's Chopin Nocturnes via an M902 into Denon MD5000s!

As a D7000/M902 user, could you comment on GS1000i & HD800 for piano solos and concertos (Chopin, Mozart and Beethoven)?

Thanks much,

Bill

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #983 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by wekania /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paul,
As I read your message, I happen to be listening to Rubinstein's Chopin Nocturnes via an M902 into Denon MD5000s!

As a D7000/M902 user, could you comment on GS1000i & HD800 for piano solos and concertos (Chopin, Mozart and Beethoven)?

Thanks much,

Bill

hey bill,

you know that on some complex chopin pieces by rubinstein and vladimir, like ballade #1, lesser phones just cannot keep to the extreme fast chords and counter-melodic chromatic octaves. well, as you already know. the denon ah-d7000 allows you to hear all those notes, brightly, succinctly, with immediate placement.

if you do not hear the real thing everyday, the grace m902 and denon ah-d7000 is good enough. but i have a budding player in the house, who reminds me what a real piano sounds like.

YouTube - William Chiu plays Chopin è•*邦 Nocturne Op 9 No 2 in 720p HD

it is because of this that i prefer for piano solos the grado gs1000i with my grace m902b. while the brightness isn't the same as the denon ah-d7000. the real piano does not have that. not a steinway, bechstein or bosendorfer.

i love how when i enjoy chopin ballade #1 by rubinstein, i can actually tell that ruby is stretching some 5+ octaves away from the last key.
i shock me the first few times i noticed it and i went back and forth with the denon ah-d7000 to look for the same. it was unique to the grado gs1000i.
the placement was uncanny.

my hd800 is not here yet. i am hopeful it'll combine the best of the grado and the denon. we'll see.

paul

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #984 of 7,464
Thanks for your comments, Paul. I appreciate your linking the technology (headphone) to what we hear and experience. And I'll look forward to reading your future comments re. HD800. I left a comment on YouTube for William.
regards,Bill

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #985 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More of what I expected... improvements in SQ are just not proportionate to increases in investment in audio equipment - not even close.

But... at the extreme price premiums of the HD800s and PS1000s, I would expect a much greater improvement in SQ... than to just "squeak out a bit more air, space and realism."

Paying such extreme price premiums for subtle improvements in SQ is really just the domain of those with the most extreme cases of OCD, who are compelled to attain such subtle improvements, at any price.

Well said Gradofan ! Took the words outta my mouth .
icon10.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #986 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The same comment could be made, arguably, about the D5000 vs the D7000. I say this as somebody who has listened to both a lot. Both headphones are excellent (or at least I think so). As for stuff like the Sony R10 - no comment on the improvement versus cost debate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you do not hear the real thing everyday, the grace m902 and denon ah-d7000 is good enough. but i have a budding player in the house, who reminds me what a real piano sounds like.

Every piano I've touched sounds different and if you throw in all the shennigans that occur during recording and production of music, it's easier to just ask yourself if you enjoy what you are listening do. Fussing over what a piano is supposed to sound like is just a headache.

I enjoy listening to piano on the D7000. It sounds like a piano. Maybe not the piano I play on a regular basis, but I don't like that piano anyway and I doubt Glen Gould used an upright Piano.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #987 of 7,464
Hope I'm not tangent-izing this thread too much...but for those of you who use the Head Direct EF-1 with the D7000, which DAC do you use? There seems to be some potent synergy there, and getting a dealer to "deal" on the M902 is not proving too successful.
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #988 of 7,464
I ran my EF-1 right off of my simple Sony 400 disc DVD,CD,SACD,MMp3 jukebox. I added am Alesis EQ in the chain but ended up removing it as the SQ showed no improvement and the Alesis is too many bands for me to deal with. I've also run my Ipod into the EF-1 via both LOD and headphone out and there was little to no difference
I think the EF-1 Denon AHD synergy is independent of the source and has nothing to do with the choice of DAC other than the DAC is basically part of your digital source chain input into the EF-1.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #989 of 7,464
Still waiting on mine from J&R, Original order date of 02May....

Received my Compass about 3 weeks ago, and with my old DT770Pro, have not really appreciated a difference in sound yet, so hopefully going to the D7000 will provide an nice transition.

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #990 of 7,464
with the audio-gd c2c coupled with a musical fidelity v-dac with optical output from the macbook, feeding the Denon 7000's. I find the sound wonderful, non fatiguing, with good soundstage and precise enunciation of all notes played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back