Denon AH-D7000
Jan 4, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #361 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headroom has graphs up for the D7000

=283&graphID[1]=263&graphID[2]=243&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]D2000/D5000/D7000

What's so surprising is that the D5000 has more bass than the D7000 till just about 50hz (not that headphones do a great job reproducing stuff below 50 hz). Then they are just about the same with bass levels.

This seems very different from the reports of the D7000 having noticeably more bass than the D5000.

Then again, my own auditory experiences have never matched up all that well with the headroom graphs
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard d5000s but I thought they were supposed to have more bass and it was more out of control from what I read about them, isn't that why everyone does the markl mods?

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #362 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard d5000s but I thought they were supposed to have more bass and it was more out of control from what I read about them, isn't that why everyone does the markl mods?

If you go onto the Headroom forum or call Headroom they'll tell you the D7000 has more bass than the D5000. That seems to be the consensus on this forum as well.

As for the D5000 bass being out of control, I have a stock D5000 and the bass is just fine.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #363 of 7,457
with all the attention over at the Sennheiser HD800, the Denon Ah-D7000 is back to $999.95 at J&R. No more $599.
so for those of you who ran down to Park Row when Amazon.com posted the J&R special price, kudos!

After nearly 110 hours and 2+ weeks with my AH-D7000, I am buying amps and SACD players for this baby. It is worth it!

paul

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #364 of 7,457
With a casual listening for an hour by now with my favorite music pieces (mostly symphony and opera), I would say this Denon AHD700 (I got it from JR) ranks at the very best of all the cans I own:

Ultrasone E9
ATH 5000W
Grado GS1000
Sennheiser HD 650
BD 880T
AKG K701

UE Pro 11
UE Triple.fi 10
Shure 530E
Weston U2
Etymotic 4S
Denon AHC 751K
Sennheiser CX500

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #365 of 7,457
shadouzhong,

did j&r shipped the 7000 to you or were you in nyc last month?
i am curious as friends in hong kong has asked me about buying stuff here recently...

as for the AH-D7000, the sacd sounded great with it.

Takako Nishizaki, violin / Yin Chengzong, piano - The Butterfly Lovers and The Yellow River - Hybrid Multichannel SACD

i have 6 different versions of this violin concerto and the AH-D7000 really helped differentiated each one.

finally, can you comment on how the soundstage between the Grado GS1000 and the Denon AH-D7000 compares? Which places instruments and sound sources farther and wider?

cheers,

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadouzhong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a casual listening for an hour by now with my favorite music pieces (mostly symphony and opera), I would say this Denon AHD700 (I got it from JR) ranks at the very best of all the cans I own:

Ultrasone E9
ATH 5000W
Grado GS1000
Sennheiser HD 650
BD 880T
AKG K701

UE Pro 11
UE Triple.fi 10
Shure 530E
Weston U2
Etymotic 4S
Denon AHC 751K
Sennheiser CX500

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #367 of 7,457
for sure!

this stuff is expensive but good for our economy.
so far, this evil Denon AH-D7000's damage has included the Duet, Grace M902-B, and soon, either the Marantz SA8003 or Denon RCD-CX1 SACD players...

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by jga01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am doing exactly the same. The difference over the D2000s I had was so staggering I bought a DAC, a headphone amp, a mains block and some quality wires.

Think I got the bug
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #369 of 7,457
you will LOVE the Shure se530s. very, very accurate for in-ears!
easily driven by an iphone or ipod, and good bass with it.

the old e4c and e5c (which i had) just could not be driven well enough by an ipod. those 2 needs an amp!

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by jga01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice one buddy. I notice you have the Shure E530s. I was looking to get hold of those for the road. Seems we might have similar tastes; do you rate these?

I have the old E4Cs and was quite disappointed with the bass.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #370 of 7,457
To Paul:

As a newbie here, I haven't figured out how to quote others' messages yet.

I ordered online on January 7th from Amazon.com and got it shipped to my Springfield IL home by JR on the 12th.

For the Butterfly concerto, my impression was that Xuewei and Muhai Tang ranked among the top followed by Sheng Zhongguo and Li Delun with China Phil.

The sound signatures are VERY different between GS1000 and AHD7000. The GS 1000 is the first can around $1000 I bought and I was very impressed at the time, as it sounded more spacious and deep than anything I experienced before, say Shure SE530, which I considered the best in-ear piece a year ago.

The more I compared the GS1000 to ATH 5000W, HD 650, and Ultrasone 9E, the more I find it to be lacking focus and refinement. It sounded expansive, but like an impressionist painting with more coased grains in sound details, similar to a listening expericen at Tanglewood or at an outdoor concert venue under a white tent beachside.

The AHD7000 sound signature is more fine grained, full-bodied, yet broad, deep, and sophisticated, accurate and balanced in both structure and details. Great for Mahler and Bruckner (my staples), as well as for operas and vocalists.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #371 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you will LOVE the Shure se530s. very, very accurate for in-ears!
easily driven by an iphone or ipod, and good bass with it.

the old e4c and e5c (which i had) just could not be driven well enough by an ipod. those 2 needs an amp!

paul

The Shure SE 530 got be the most versatile IEM yet. But I find the Weston UM2 more exciting, with more energy, dynamism, and presence.

The UE Pro 11 never had a proper fit for me. After it got adjusted, the bass is almost totally gone.

Look forward to the Weston 3 and Sennheiser IE8

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #373 of 7,457
i actually liked the LP versions 2 decades ago of the butterfly concerto. the red cover LP from HK..

as for the GS1000 vs. AH-D7000, i take it that the soundstage and imaging isn't great enough from the GS1000 for you to overlook its lack of refinement compared with the AH-D7000.
as such, we are still searching for the holy grail in headphones that truly sound like fine loudspeakers....

weston...
never did try those.

not very adventurous here with in ears.
just through Etys, Shure and the Sonys

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadouzhong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To Paul:

As a newbie here, I haven't figured out how to quote others' messages yet.

I ordered online on January 7th from Amazon.com and got it shipped to my Springfield IL home by JR on the 12th.

For the Butterfly concerto, my impression was that Xuewei and Muhai Tang ranked among the top followed by Sheng Zhongguo and Li Delun with China Phil.

The sound signatures are VERY different between GS1000 and AHD7000. The GS 1000 is the first can around $1000 I bought and I was very impressed at the time, as it sounded more spacious and deep than anything I experienced before, say Shure SE530, which I considered the best in-ear piece a year ago.

The more I compared the GS1000 to ATH 5000W, HD 650, and Ultrasone 9E, the more I find it to be lacking focus and refinement. It sounded expansive, but like an impressionist painting with more coased grains in sound details, similar to a listening expericen at Tanglewood or at an outdoor concert venue under a white tent beachside.

The AHD7000 sound signature is more fine grained, full-bodied, yet broad, deep, and sophisticated, accurate and balanced in both structure and details. Great for Mahler and Bruckner (my staples), as well as for operas and vocalists.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #375 of 7,457
great!

you should start listening to them right away.
i found that the burn-in period is brief and it sounded smooth within the 1st hour.

i am also awaiting some gear too.
the Grace M902B and a remote!

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine have finally shipped, I should have them by tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back