Denon AH-D7000
Dec 22, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #331 of 7,457
Great to see these are becoming more available and more owners are popping up.

They isolate fairly well but not quite as much as some completely closed headphones I have heard.

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #332 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys should stop complaining about the pleather pads and headband on the D7000. My HE90 also sports the same pleather material for pads and headband. It is all abou the sound after all!

Agreed, although this is the best pleather I've tried. Given a choice I usually prefer real leather but no complaints about the comfort here, most comfortable headphone I've owned along with the dt880.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #333 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boomy;
I had the pleasure of comparing my 702's with approx. 500 break-in hours to another Head-fier member's well broken in 701's. They are 2 different animals sound wise...we both could easily hear the difference. The 702's are the detail retrieval machines that the 701's are...but the 702's bottom end is deeper, more defined. (No, not as deep as the Senns. 650)
The 702 is more balanced in the freqs. than the 701...at least this is the agreement we were able to conclude. The cables are visibly different as well as the connectors. And if you wish to experiment with after market cables, the 702 with mini xlr, allows this easily.

In some I have a reverse experience - but the burning in time of both are not equal - (K701 about 300 hours, K702 less than 100 hours - I don't count the minutes exactly). Till today K701 have more bass - before I must give the K702 back (I have them only a limited time for test) I will compare them again.

The difference in sound between K701/702 reason only buildung arround the capsule - I read both service manuals, the spare part no of the capsule are the same. One of this can be - different ear pads.

D7000 have another capsule as the D5000, D2000

Denon's capsule looks like a very little loudspeaker with a organic diaphragm - IMHO AKG use in K701/702 a synthetic diaphragm, looks like a microfone capsule.

Denon makes one of the best closed headphones - the other - Audio Technika - we cannot buy directly in Europe - we must import from Asia, this are not everyone's cup of tea!

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #334 of 7,457
Apparently these headphones just popped up at J&R for 600 bucks, which is quite a bit off from any other place. They're so new that they don't even have a picture of them yet, which jives with them being so recent an arrival that they weren't there when I last checked the site about a day or two ago.
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #336 of 7,457
Nice find. This is quite tempting... I will be good. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently these headphones just popped up at J&R for 600 bucks, which is quite a bit off from any other place. They're so new that they don't even have a picture of them yet, which jives with them being so recent an arrival that they weren't there when I last checked the site about a day or two ago.
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #342 of 7,457
i had email alert from buy.com for $548 some 3 weeks and once amazon.com had the j&r $599 price listed yesterday, i called their 800 number and had it reserved, sorry.

i picked it up last night and is now running off a musical fidelity x-can v3.
probably letting it run for a day, looping through some pink floyd, bach, and jazz at the pawnshop sacd's.

the package from j&r was not "sealed", but looked as it does from pictures i see posted on the web, the silk cushioning the phones and there were 2 clear tapes restricting the earpiece from extending down from the leather headband. based on that, i did not feel that it was a return or demo item.

everything else look pristine and this is j&r, the largest sv shop in new york.

still, that $599 was so low that i was a little concerned.

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow what the heck. J&R already went out of stock
frown.gif
I was just about to pull the trigger and get it

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #344 of 7,457
i went upstairs at 31 park row, the j&r store with the hifi, audio and large tv's.
there were some headphones on the wall, but none were over $300, so you would not get a chance to try the ah-d7000 or ah-d5000 on.

at b&h photo in midtown, amazingly, all the top cans are on display including the 702, 650 and the grado gs1000, which i felt was the most comforting over $500 phones of all. the soundstage of the gs1000 was also very different over the senny 650 and akg701, sort of like small loudspeakers and my 20 year old stax sigma (without all that weight!). but there were no discounting on the grado gs1000 anywhere and the bass was not as good as the senny 650 or akg701.

i have yet to listen to the denon ah-d7000. i am not jumping the gun.

the piano finish on the cans cannot be represented well on the web pictures. you really have to see it in person. the luster and depth of the shine is very much like a yamaha high gloss piano. seems tough too as my very dry fingers did not leave any fine surface scratches.

it is in no way large and if you have a large head, it'll not be as accomdating as the grado gs1000 but way more spacious than either my senny 650 or the akg701.

paul

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #345 of 7,457
the j&r computers show 1 at the store which i picked up and another in the warehouse. i assume that is what is showing now at amazon.com.

j&r is listed as an authorized dealer of denon and headroom and others would not discount anything.

strange than j&r priced the ah-d7000 with those low ball net shops.

i'll know in a few days whether the cans are good.

paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back